Drew Brees is not a top 10 QB of all time. Change my mind.

mdonnelly21

Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?

9 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'm a Falcons fan. 

I despise the Saints

I don't like New Orleans

I can't stand Louisiana

I hate Drew Brees

I literally LOATHE Drew Brees

I despise everything about Drew Brees.

I'd rate him 4th all time behind Marino, Peyton Manning and Brady.

Louisiana is cool though.  Food is great.

9 hours ago, Dome said:

It’s like the people that talk about how Brees was just a stat padder playing in games that didn’t matter, but don’t want to talk about how he’s 2nd all-time in game winning drives. Or how he played on multiple squads historically bad defenses who blew leads like they all had Brees on their fantasy rosters. 

That’s a lot of game winning drives for a stat padder, you have to play in a LOT of close games to get that many GWDs.  

So either Brees played in just as many close games as other QBs, or Brees is just on a completely different level as a closer, like the GOAT closer. You can’t have it both ways.

Every all-time great is going to deal with recency bias and it just gets worse with time, or just flat out people who want their bad takes to be heard. Cause some of those guys post here too.

And I’m not saying that excluding Brees from the top-10 all-time is even a bad take, he’s on the fringe. But it wouldn’t surprise me if someone comes in here and claims Brees wasn’t even top 25 or some nonsense.

The stat padding argument is silly anyway.  Brees postseason stats are almost identical to his regular season stats through 16 games.  Actually better if you exclude his zombie games, which is only fair when you exclude Peyton's zombie season like most everyone does.

As far as Brees in or out of the top ten, well, I don't care about individual rankings, to each his own, but he is certainly in the same fringe tier as every other guy you'd put at 7-12.

It matters whether or not you include guys like Otto.  Which is fine either way, whatever you wanna do, but a lot of people never really cared to include Otto until Brady tied him with championships, now all of a sudden it's cool to include him.

17 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

#1. Brady 

#2. Montana 

#3. Unitas 

#4. Favre 

#5. Peyton 

#6. Marino 

#7. Young 

#8. Elway 

#9. A - Rod 

#10. Staubach 

seriously? Those guys couldn't ever compete with Brees. Brees was right up there statistically with Brady and Peyton and Rodgers for his entire career, but you don't think he's even higher up than these guys? I don't see it.

EDIT: And for the record, I wouldn't put any QB before the modern era in my top 10. Football was an entirely different game back then and if you took the best player from those games they wouldn't even make the practice squad on clubs these days.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

11 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

But, you didn't get cheated out of anything. Hitting the QB late isn't cheating. Dirty? Sure. The Saints gained zero competitive advantage from rewarding guys for big hits, injured players, etc. Is it deplorable? Horrible? Dirty? Yes, but its not cheating.

In reality the Vikings lost because they had FIVE turnovers. Hard to win a playoff game against a good team with five turnovers. Vikings fans gotta get over it. I mean, you guys complain about this more than Saints fans complain about the Rams blown call and that is actually getting robbed of a SB appearance lol

If it wasn’t a problem and wasn’t cheating, they wouldn’t have been penalized as hard as they were for it. Don’t like that it’s being called cheating? Tough cookies. The NFL, which is the league that set the rules that they agreed to, said it was. So by the definition there, it was cheating. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I'm a Vikings fan

I despise the Saints

I don't like New Orleans

I can't stand Louisiana

I hate Sean Payton

I hate Drew Brees

I literally LOATHE Drew Brees

I literally LOATHE Sean Payton

I despise everything about Drew Brees.

I despise Alvin Kamara for stealing Dalvin Cook's All Pro and talking ish about Minnesota

I despise them because they are cheaters

I'd rank him somewhere from 5th to 8th. It will be short lived though due the great QB's coming up like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers. Then you have the younger guys following behind them like Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Deshaun Watson who will likely be better than Brees.

As we say in GA, FTS

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

seriously? Those guys couldn't ever compete with Brees. Brees was right up there statistically with Brady and Peyton and Rodgers for his entire career, but you don't think he's even higher up than these guys? I don't see it.

EDIT: And for the record, I wouldn't put any QB before the modern era in my top 10. Football was an entirely different game back then and if you took the best player from those games they wouldn't even make the practice squad on clubs these days.

Using this reasoning, Tyrod Taylor is a better QB than Roger Staubach.  And doesn't that just sound ridiculous?

When comparing across eras/decades/etc., you have to do so by comparing how they did relative to their peers (especially if you haven't seen them play).  Staubach would benefit from the same things guys benefit from now, just as Rodgers would not benefit from the things he benefits from if you threw him into 1950 NFL.  So it just doesn't make sense to say, well, such and such wouldn't be able to play now.  It'd be like saying the XB1 was a better console than the PS2, because if you put the PS2 into today's world, it would be considered very outdated.  But it ignores the PS2 would benefit from the same advances as today's consoles.  

I love rankings but they are just so difficult to do when you try and include every historical player.  You can say this about any sport, but I'd argue it is the most difficult for football because of how many different components there are.  

I don't know if Brees is in the top 10 or not.  The main thing I keep going back to, and what would probably be my main argument against it, is that the general consensus is that Brees is the 4th best QB of his era/run.  He's generally always been ranked behind Peyton before his retirement, Brady, and Rodgers.  Even after 2008, 2009, and 2011 respectively, the 3 years where you could best argue he was the best individual QB that year (I'd agree with '09, I'm taking Rodgers in '11, and I'm probably taking Rivers in '08), he was still behind those guys.  So, if he is in the top 10, he's definitely at the very edge.  

• Like 3

1 Tom Brady
2 Joe Montana
3 Peyton Manning
4 Johnny Unitas
5 Brett Favre
6 John Elway
7 Aaron Rodgers
8 Dan Marino
9 Drew Brees
10 Roger Staubach
11 Steve Young
12 Bart Starr

I consider modern football starting in 1960. That's when the AFL was created. Most of the teams currently in the NFL started in 1960 or earlier. Around the same time, the NFL became more prominent on television.

With a couple more good years, Rodgers will likely move past Favre and Elway. With another Super Bowl title he could move as high as #4.

Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Dan Marino have the best all around arms that I have seen. Brett Favre, John Elway, and Josh Allen have the strongest arms that I have seen. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees probably the most accurate. Brady, Unitas, Staubach, and Starr probably the best leaders.

Edited by TheEagle

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

If it wasn’t a problem and wasn’t cheating, they wouldn’t have been penalized as hard as they were for it. Don’t like that it’s being called cheating? Tough cookies. The NFL, which is the league that set the rules that they agreed to, said it was. So by the definition there, it was cheating. 

No one said it wasn't a problem. They were punished because it is dirty and deserved to be punished, no one is saying otherwise. The Saints didn't gain any sort of competitive advantage. Vikings shot themselves in the foot with 5 turnovers, end of discussion. Vikings fans need to get over it. They lost the game fair and square.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

The NFL punished the Saints so heavily because it was scumbag, bush league ****, not because it was cheating.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

No one said it wasn't a problem. They were punished because it is dirty and deserved to be punished, no one is saying otherwise. The Saints didn't gain any sort of competitive advantage. Vikings shot themselves in the foot with 5 turnovers, end of discussion. Vikings fans need to get over it. They lost the game fair and square.

see the QT below... Saints fans have been saying this ever since it happened. \/

12 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

The NFL punished the Saints so heavily because it was scumbag, bush league ****, not because it was cheating.

Except it is cheating. It violated the CBA on personal conduct policy AND on cap circumvention because it was considered additional payouts on top of the cap. So yes. It legitimately was cheating. Violating the CBA is cheating.