2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

16 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Last year they also had better shooting and didn't have a backcourt of the collective corpses of Wade and Rose.  

I already explained.  The Cavaliers knew they were in the playoffs the second half of the season and just coasted.  Right now they're at risk of not even qualifying for the playoffs.  They NEED to win more.

They are 1.5 games out of second  despite the awful start, w/ no Isaiah and Crowder playing awful. Will still be a shock if they aren't in the ECF at the very least and are still the favorites. The Celtics have already proven they are a great regular season team but still w/o Hayward look like a team that won't carry that dominance into the postseason til they prove otherwise.

Swapping IT for Kyrie and counting on rookie/sophmores instead of Bradley/Crowder doesn't really convince me that they've gained a new edge

Boston needs to make another move for a big before I worry about them. Horford gets owned by TT and Lebron turns all of their defenders into school children once he isolates them and backs them down. Marcus smart trying to guard him was comical last year. He just backed him down and shot over him uncontested. And playoff love is a different animal. Can’t trust young guys and rookies against them. Kyrie is the only one I fear and I have a feeling Lebron will single him out and make him unplayable like he does against every guard. 

49 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

That is WAAAAAYY too much given up by Utah.

How is that way too much?  Love is still easily the best player in the trade, Favors and Hood are free agents after this season, Burks doesn't even play and has 2 years left on his deal, and they don't give up a pick.

Favors is a C in today's NBA, and they already have a much better C.  Love actually makes sense next to Gobert at PF and gives them some scoring punch.  The Jazz already have Hood's replacement in Mitchell (who's already replaced Hood in the starting line-up).

So an All-Star, double-double big man for a back-up C who's putting up 11 and 6 (free agent), a 6th man shooting 42% from the field (free agent), and an afterthought for salary purposes.

Edit: I mean seriously, Love was traded for Gary Harris and a 1st round pick just a couple months ago.  You're telling me that Utah package is any better?

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

How is that way too much?  Love is still easily the best player in the trade, Favors and Hood are free agents after this season, Burks doesn't even play and has 2 years left on his deal, and they don't give up a pick.

Favors is a C in today's NBA, and they already have a much better C.  Love actually makes sense next to Gobert at PF and gives them some scoring punch.  The Jazz already have Hood's replacement in Mitchell (who's already replaced Hood in the starting line-up).

So an All-Star, double-double big man for a back-up C who's putting up 11 and 6 (free agent), a 6th man shooting 42% from the field (free agent), and an afterthought for salary purposes.

Edit: I mean seriously, Love was traded for Gary Harris and a 1st round pick just a couple months ago.  You're telling me that Utah package is any better?

If they're just shooting to compete for a 6 seed sure but Rubio-Love-Gobert still not going to get them very far in the west unless they can swing another big move. Giving up one of their only upside guys may not be worth it 

5 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Last year the Cavaliers had 7 rotation players players (8+ MPG) that shot over 37% from three.  This year the Cavs have 2.  Last year the Cavs as a team shot 38.4% from three.  This year they are shooting 35.2% from three.  Last year they had 0 players shoot 33% or less from three.  This year they have 6 rotation players shooting 33% or less.   The Cavaliers aren't "not just hitting their shots" 20 games into the season.  They are just old and have old legs, and replaced solid shooting role players for DRose(29.7% Career 3pt), DWade (28.6% career 3 pt), Crowder (34.5% career three pt), and Green (33.3% career three pt).  So unless you expect all of these old veterans to suddenly have MASSIVE jumps in efficiency that dwarfs their career average AS THEY ENTER THE FINAL STRETCHES OF THEIR CAREER, no, the Cavs aren't "just missing their shots".  They just loaded up on guys who can't shoot or defend.

YOUR argument is that they coasted.  They didn't just choose to look horrible and suddenly remember how to play in the playoffs.  What kind of logic does it take to say that the Cavs looked horrible after the all star break (your words), and then turned it on in the playoffs (your words), and when they tried they were better than everyone else (your words).  THE CAVS COASTED.  AND YOUVE ALREADY SAID IT YOURSELF.

No it's not, but who cares if it's not if they don't even make the post season.  Are you really going to bet on the Thunder making a deep playoff run?  The Thunder have the same problem the Cavs have, but worse.  Their shooting isn't good enough/idiotic offensive scheme, and they play in a real conference. 

No, that 2013-14 Heat team was much better than this Cavs team.  Lebron was better then.  Wade was miles better then.  And Bosh was miles ahead of Love.  Not to mention the Heat had legitimate role players who could defend and shoot threes at an elite level.  This Cavs team is not even remotely close to that 2013-14 Heat team.  

Yes, because Derrick Rose, DWade, Jae Crowder, and Jeff Green all right now have the same upside as Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.  Not to mention the other 3 ROOKIES that are in the rotation.   Seriously?  How can you even try to argue that with a straight face.   Two 4 year olds, and two guys past their prime have the same upside to improve this season as two guys who went #3 overall the past two drafts.  Because Dwayne "top 5 SG ever" Wade suddenly hasn't ever learned how to play in the NBA.  The Celtics, per minute, are the youngest team in the NBA.   The Cavaliers, per minute are the oldest team in the NBA.   And you're trying to argue that they have the same upside or room to grow.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Homecourt matters to everyone, including Lebron.  The difference is that Lebron had the luxury of beating up on teams that were not even remotely close to his teams in the east the past couple years.   When his team isn't a massive favorite against weakling East teams, homecourt absolutely matters.  You're literally trying to argue that homecourt is irrelevant, when every sports team in american history has fought to earn homecourt advantage.  Even the most casual fan in the world knows homecourt matters.  I don't think he's going up against the Mon-stars.  I think he's going up against a team that's better than his team for the first time in the East in a long time.  

First off I love the arbitrary percentages. 37%, not 36% not 35%. But I digress. Of those 7 players who shot over 37% they include Deron, Richard Jefferson, Derrick Williams, James Jones and Deandre Liggins. Yeah theyre really gonna miss those guys. Guess that explains why they aren't as good on offense. And seen my argument was that from post all star break not the whole season they had 3 guys in that period shoot below 33%. Like come on provide some more context to that. JR is not shooting well, IT is missing, Crowder shot 39% just last year, Shumpert is shooting below 30%. You do realise that the problems they had last year still exist this year. Like I've repeated that a number of guys. A bunch of old players and one sided players. Like this isn't some new occurrence.

Yoyre getting yourself confused. You're the one saying they coasted. I haven't once said they coasted. Show me where I said that. What I've said this team is the same team that they were in thev2nd half of the year. Please don't put words in my mouth. 

My he difference between me and you is that I recognkse the difference between the regular season and post season. And I don't make conclusions 15 games into the year. You seem to be very naive. Plenty of people view OKC as a threat in the West. They're not overreacting to 15 games of play like you are.

Again you have short memory. The Heat had a bunch of old players. Wade was banged up. Chris Bosh was basically a better defensive version of Love. Like you saw the Finals that year, LeBron did it all by himself. They had a bunch of old players just like this Cavs team. That Heat team was washed up. Defend and shoot, lol. 36.4%. So great at shooting. That team declined defensively and had worse shooting. They just had LeBron and to an extent Bosh.

Can you stop putting words in my mouth and twisting them. I never said they have as much as upside or more room to grow than the Celtics. Goodness gracious strawman.

Yes homecourt matters...to most. To the better teams it matters less. It's really not that big a deal. 

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

. Kyrie is the only one I fear and I have a feeling Lebron will single him out and make him unplayable like he does against every guard. 

works both ways.  LeBron can't guard anyone these days.  He's reached Harden levels of defense.  

Archived