2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I like the Rockets a lot better this year in the playoffs compared to the years past. Heck, I picked them to beat the Spurs last season but Harden had to revert back to his old ways in the 4th quarter of game 5 and then the entire game 6. Having CP3 will no doubt help. That offense is just impossible to guard when CP3 is playing. I like the mix of shooters/defenders and they have two takeover guys which damn near every championship team needs. Unless you are the Spurs where you only need one takeover guy and just great team ball. 

I said it yesterday, but I'm not sure the Celtics even get to the conference finals. Having a great defense is good and dandy, but they go on too many lulls offensively. Who is their #2 option behind Kyrie? Is it Brown? Is it Tatum? Is it Horford? Brown and Tatum are really nice young players, but still a year away from becoming stars. I'm super high on Tatum for next season. A 19 year old should not be this efficient from the floor, but he simply doesn't get enough looks right now. There are like 10 minute stretches where he doesn't even get a shot off. Next year this team is going to be a major problem though. Tatum in year two, Brown in year three and the return of Hayward. Have a nice squad to compete with the Dubs. 

Who do you think can beat them before the cavs (assuming Cavs and Celtics are 1 and 2)? I don't really believe in any of those other teams. I'm kinda becoming slightly a closet Raptors fan on the side, I used to think DeRozan was arse, but I think he grew up a lot in the last 2 years and I really like watching him play now and I like their team overall, but you know, these mofos in the playoffs are contractually obligated to struggle.

13 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Who do you think can beat them before the cavs (assuming Cavs and Celtics are 1 and 2)? I don't really believe in any of those other teams. I'm kinda becoming slightly a closet Raptors fan on the side, I used to think DeRozan was arse, but I think he grew up a lot in the last 2 years and I really like watching him play now and I like their team overall, but you know, these mofos in the playoffs are contractually obligated to struggle.

Well, no guarantee Cavs/Celtics finish with the top two seeds, but if they do? Then I think the Raptors/Wizards/Bucks could pose a lot of problems for the Celtics. Raptors are moving the ball much better this season and have enough athletes to match up with the Celtics. Wizards vs Celtics will be another long competitive series. Wizards still have bench issues which probably gives the Celtics a slight edge, but still close enough the series could go either way. And the Bucks who are super frustrating to watch with their inconsistent play may be better suited for the playoffs. That team is super long and they could throw a number of players at Kyrie. 

It will be interesting to see how the rockets play tonight. 4 game losing streak....still the 2nd best record in the league by the way...and coming off that botched game last night. The double standard that people have on Harden is insane. Russell Westbrook can get that triple double on 8 of 30 shooting and people will scream he needs more help and hand him an MVP award. Harden goes out and records 34/10/6 and hes trash that cant ever win in crunch time. I dont get it, but what ever. 

meanwhile Harden is running away with the scoring title this year. If he stays healthy, it will be the 3rd time hes lead the league in total points and his 1st scoring title in the last 4 years. 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It will be interesting to see how the rockets play tonight. 4 game losing streak....still the 2nd best record in the league by the way...and coming off that botched game last night. The double standard that people have on Harden is insane. Russell Westbrook can get that triple double on 8 of 30 shooting and people will scream he needs more help and hand him an MVP award. Harden goes out and records 34/10/6 and hes trash that cant ever win in crunch time. I dont get it, but what ever. 

meanwhile Harden is running away with the scoring title this year. If he stays healthy, it will be the 3rd time hes lead the league in total points and his 1st scoring title in the last 4 years. 

Why do you always bring up Westrbrook when talking about Harden? Calm down, everyone here knows Harden is a great player. He just had a bad shooting night and ended the game with two bad or questionable fouls. It happens, no big deal.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why do you always bring up Westrbrook when talking about Harden? Calm down, everyone here knows Harden is a great player. He just had a bad shooting night and ended the game with two bad or questionable fouls. It happens, no big deal.

Not to mention people on here crap on Westbrook plenty. I probably crap on Westbrook a ton more than I do Harden anyway.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because they are obsessed with the stupid mvp award and jimbo not winning it. 

Just now, Mossburg said:

Not to mention people on here crap on Westbrook plenty. I probably crap on Westbrook a ton more than I do Harden anyway.

A lot of folks do, but Rockets fans keep bringing up Westbrook for no reason. Harden is clearly the front runner for MVP and barring an epic collapse or injury, it is his award to lose. Now that he will get MVP, what exactly happens? Does his reputation improve or anything? What if he wins MVP and has another suspect moment in a playoff series and is the main reason the Rockets lose? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

A lot of folks do, but Rockets fans keep bringing up Westbrook for no reason. Harden is clearly the front runner for MVP and barring an epic collapse or injury, it is his award to lose. Now that he will get MVP, what exactly happens? Does his reputation improve or anything? What if he wins MVP and has another suspect moment in a playoff series and is the main reason the Rockets lose? 

Personally don't put much stock into MVP being a purely regular season award. If it were up to me he'd already have 2 of them, and it still wouldn't change my opinion of him and his limitations when it matters most.

I know for the media and other people it's a bigger deal. People will forever refer to the player as the "former MVP" like they do someone a doctor if they have PhD. lol

Right, in the big picture all that matters is how he performs in the playoffs, especially in big moments. He's already proven he is an absolute monster in the regular season. Harden doesn't need an MVP award to validate that. Assuming he keeps up his current play for the foreseeable future, he is a lock to be a 1st ballot HOFer. That is with or without ever winning an MVP. 

Lets see how he performs against the Spurs in the 2nd round and if they get to the conference finals, against the Warriors. That is what people will take away from his season, not what he did in the regular season. 

Yea, I don't even care if he wins or not. When it comes to his individual evaluation, I remember more his team being a mess with him on the floor and then killing it without him during key stretches in the series' against OKC and Clippers, more so than just that they won. Same as I remember LeBron being a monster against Orlando and some other series when they lost and not just remember that he lost and that's the only thing that counts.

Archived