What are the greatest free agent signings in history?

CP3MVP

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Reggie White probably tops the list. 

Justin Smith is probably the greatest 49er free agent signing and truthfully one of the better there has been in terms of big money / big year deals. 

Deion Sanders 1994 still reigns supreme for me. 

Justin Smith is up there along with Tim McDonald, and Ken Norton Jr. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

4 hours ago, Forge said:

There have been a lot of one year deals that have helped teams win super bowls. Those are almost impossible to be bad, but when I think of best free agent signings ever, I just think of longer terms, not really the one year things.   I wouldn't consider Lenny Fournette one of the greatest FA signings ever, but I'm not sure that they win the super bowl without him last year. Is that different than the niners signing Deion? 

49ers needed Deion because Alvin Harper/Michael Irvin were murdering Eric Davis/Don Griffin. Deion was defensive player of the year that season, and was a clear boost to the team. Buccaneers could have won the Super Bowl without Fournette. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

26 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Deion got Larry Brown a Super Bowl MVP and a much bigger contract than he deserved in free agency. That’s a pretty big impact.

That’s the guy that owns Jerry Rice right? lol 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Deion Sanders 1994 still reigns supreme for me. 

Justin Smith is up there along with Tim McDonald, and Ken Norton Jr. 

Understandable. Hard to argue the huge, concentrated impact he had. When I think free agency, for whatever reason, I'm typically just thinking the big stuff 

I’ll also add that Brees signing with the Saints impacted not just the QBs we see today like Wilson and Murray both below standard heights at QB but he had a great impact on college football. If he would’ve signed with Miami then Saban wouldn’t have never went to Bama and made them the powerhouse we see today. So Brees signing with the Saints made an impact in a lot of ways that I can’t say the same for others.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How much would you credit Sean Payton and his offensive scheme for Brees' success?

I think it's irrelevant, tbh. How much of montana's success can you attribute to bill? People still often cited him as the goat pre brady

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I think it's irrelevant, tbh. How much of montana's success can you attribute to bill? People still often cited him as the goat pre brady

But who are you trying to suggest that "made" Reggie White's career in Green Bay?  He completely changed the team.

Just now, CWood21 said:

But who are you trying to suggest that "made" Reggie White's career in Green Bay?  He completely changed the team.

So did brees. 

I mean, favre probably played a role in Green Bay moving forward. Holmgren too. It's never a one man show. The Packers we 9-7 the year before reggie and the two years immediately following adding him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Drew Brees is the greatest free agent signing of all-time. He not only changed the culture of the Saints that was known as the Aints before his arrival but he changed the city of New Orleans.

Maybe you don't remember that Reggie White did the same thing for Green Bay only more so.

Before he got there, the Packers were playing half their home games in Milwaukee County Stadium. The Lombardi days were 25 years in the rear view and Green Bay was a town where no one, least of all any player of color, wanted to go. If you acted like Lambeau Field was some legendary place to be, the way it's played up now, people would laugh in your face. It's conceivable that without him and Favre, Green Bay wouldn't have a franchise now. When White signed, it was the official signal for the league that it was ok to go play there.

• Like 1