What are the greatest free agent signings in history?

CP3MVP

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reggie White probably tops the list. 

Justin Smith is probably the greatest 49er free agent signing and truthfully one of the better there has been in terms of big money / big year deals. 

I could be totally wrong since it was so long ago, but wasn't the Smith signing criticized by many at the time? Obviously it turned out to be an amazing one for the 49ers, but I seem to recall that being the case.

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

I could be totally wrong since it was so long ago, but wasn't the Smith signing criticized by many at the time? Obviously it turned out to be an amazing one for the 49ers, but I seem to recall that being the case.

It was a lot of money, definitely criticized, but not as loudly as you'd think compared to now. But the biggest thing was that people were confused by the fit. He was a 4-3 DE and we were running a 3-4. Turns out he was country strong and perfect for the 3-4 lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Deion flipping from Dallas to SF swinging the tide so SF won the championship?

There have been a lot of one year deals that have helped teams win super bowls. Those are almost impossible to be bad, but when I think of best free agent signings ever, I just think of longer terms, not really the one year things.   I wouldn't consider Lenny Fournette one of the greatest FA signings ever, but I'm not sure that they win the super bowl without him last year. Is that different than the niners signing Deion? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

There have been a lot of one year deals that have helped teams win super bowls. Those are almost impossible to be bad, but when I think of best free agent signings ever, I just think of longer terms, not really the one year things.   I wouldn't consider Lenny Fournette one of the greatest FA signings ever, but I'm not sure that they win the super bowl without him last year. Is that different than the niners signing Deion? 

Deion's one year with SF is kinda unparalleled though. He left the team the 49ers kept losing to in the playoffs then gave the 49ers 6 picks, half of which went for TDs and two more picks in the playoffs including against the Cowboys he left, and then they won the SB.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Drew Brees and Reggie White are the obvious winners.  i'd go with brees. defines the franchise and city

Brees is the best legit free agent.

Reggie was an odd case since a court ruled the Eagles had to leave him unprotected in a league that never did that with stars of his level.

This was from the Keith Jackson and co lawsuit that started free agency.

BTW, Norman Braman absolutely earned losing Reggie. That guy was pond scum.