I have a question to the fans, who want us to draft QB Mac Jones/Alabama.

I have to admit...I don't watch much College football. So maybe there are some diehard college football fans out there that can help me understand something.

D. Haskins was a Bust. Simple as that. Unless Mike Tomlin can turn his career around, Haskins will be out of the league sooner rather than later.

Haskins had Terry Mclaurin & Curtis Samuels as his WR at Ohio St.

I think we can now admit that those 2 WR's made Haskins better, than he really was.

Ok....Now for the fans of Mac Jones in Alabama.

Why should Washington double down on that same mistake again?

I didn't realize that both Devonta Smith & Jaylen Waddle are both WR's who are entering the NFL Draft from Alabama. Both are top 10 overall draft prospects.

And now we have their QB Mac Jones climbing up the boards as a 1st Rd prospect.

Shouldn't we as Washington Football Team fans be very careful in selecting this QB also?

I'm hearing from pundits, that he's the 2nd best QB in the draft.

And maybe he is...

But how do we know, that Smith & Waddle are why Mac Jones looked as good as he did & not Mac Jones himself.

So I guess my question to Mac Jones fans is...

What makes Mac Jones different as a QB prospect, that he would be a safer draft pick selection than D. Haskins was for Ohio St? When there are eerily similarities between the 2 QB's & their success in College?

Please help me understand.

Thank you!

The better comparison is Mac Jones to Tua or Joe Burrow. Mac is really mature as Nap said, it’s not even a comparison in Mac to Dwayne Haskins. 

Burrow & Tua also had immense talent surrounding them, I would argue more talent than Mac Jones had. They went 1st & 5th.

What holds Mac Jones back from going top 5 is that he’s not a top athlete like teams are looking for now a days in their top 10 selections at QB but, Mac Jones is still a good athlete and he checks all the other boxes. I think he’s going to be a good NFL starter, maybe even great NFL starter in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The better comparison is Mac Jones to Tua or Joe Burrow. Mac is really mature as Nap said, it’s not even a comparison in Mac to Dwayne Haskins. 

Burrow & Tua also had immense talent surrounding them, I would argue more talent than Mac Jones had. They went 1st & 5th.

What holds Mac Jones back from going top 5 is that he’s not a top athlete like teams are looking for now a days in their top 10 selections at QB but, Mac Jones is still a good athlete and he checks all the other boxes. I think he’s going to be a good NFL starter, maybe even great NFL starter in time.

We should take him if he falls cause after this year will be drafting slots 25-32 for years to come !  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

We should take him if he falls cause after this year will be drafting slots 25-32 for years to come !  :)

I love the positivity lol. I’m all about the type of seasons that get you those picks for the foreseeable future💯💯💯

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Based off of what? Signing Ryan Fitzpatrick? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for Fitz to lead us to a playoff win but I just don’t see it.

Agreed.   I think Jones may have had an even higher level of talent around him than Haskins.

Haskins also has a better arm than Mac Jones and you can't teach that.  Jones' arm is certainly good enough.  But who wants good enough in the first round.   Good enough looks a little different on film when there is more pressure and WRs aren't quite as open.

Haskins is also the prototypical QB size.  Mac Jones, again, is good enough size wise, but he is not the prototypical size.

Also, Rivera wants mobile qbs and Jones isn't that.  Alex Smith might have been more mobile last year on one leg than Jones is.

I think if anything Jones could be a Cousins if things go very well for him.  I would be ecstatic about getting a cousins, but that is his best outcome.   The problem with Mac Jones is taking him in the first and the expectations that come with that.  If you can get him at #102 like Cousins, then I would jump on that.

I hate this. I don’t think it’s fair at all for a college QB to be dinged because of the talent surrounding him. I’m not the worlds biggest fan of Jones as a prospect but he’s smart and according to his teammates he’s a hell of a leader. To me, he’s Matt Ryan. That’s who he compares too. 

Haskins is ultra talented. He has an amazing arm and can make every throw. He’s just immature and doesn’t put the work in that he needs too. It’s sad when even his good friends like Chase Young are saying they’ve talked to him about working harder. I do like the kid and I hope he can bounce back and have a great career. 

Edited by lavar703

@ancienthehouse I agree with an early post about the maturity factor. But  to me I am not that impress with Jones as a matter of fact he and DH are almost the same. Both are pocket QB. I think Jones and DH are QB that are not your kind of  start right away QB and neither have have a lot of experience as a starting QB.   Fitz may be the better option . He still can move around in the pocket but  I have issue with him also. However he is the kind of experience QB (Smith) to help us this season and we will need it. Just look at all those top QB in this upcoming season that we will square off against. If we want our QB of the future we need to trade up but it will be costly. Which leads me to take a more conservative approach  and draft QB later on in this yr draft (Mond).  

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Based off of what? Signing Ryan Fitzpatrick? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for Fitz to lead us to a playoff win but I just don’t see it.

Based on the free agents, the roster plus the draft and the coaches. I'm an optimist I guess. I think we have a lot of talent and have turned the corner. 

On 3/20/2021 at 4:32 PM, RSkinGM said:

Based on the free agents, the roster plus the draft and the coaches. I'm an optimist I guess. I think we have a lot of talent and have turned the corner. 

It’s quite a day when you’re an optimist and I’m a bit pessimistic on this team. I don’t see us winning much more games than last year - if anymore - based off of QB play. I think the only way we truly turn a corner and become a perennial playoff team is if we get a good/great QB and as of right now we don’t have one. There’s still a hope I guess that Allen or Heinicke become that guy, but I’m not sold on it and I don’t think Fitz moves the needle for us.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/20/2021 at 4:32 PM, RSkinGM said:

I hope your right. I think we are a year away with the core of this roster as it gels with the staff with two real offseason and a real upgrade at QB. But I hope your right it would make for a exciting forum year!!!