If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You're missing the whole point of what I was trying to illustrate.  The Packers are paying $22M to Aaron Rodgers.  The Packers are currently paying their WRs nearly $23M, which is 8th most in the NFL.  They're paying their TEs the 13th most at almost $9.7M.  They're paying their OL nearly $31M, which is good for 14th.  Compare that to the defense who we're paying 26th most at a bit over $16M.  Our OLBs are the most highly paid OLBs in the NFL at nearly $30.6M while our ILB come in at a bit under $2M good for 27th in the NFL.  Our CBs make $9.2M, which is good for 24th.  Our safeties are making a combined $10.9M, which is good for 14th in the NFL.  That's what I'm illustrating.  If you're spending heavily at one position, you're going to have to save money elsewhere.  The Packers have opted to stay cheap at RB, DL, and ILB.

I acknowledge that the Packers are devoting more money to the D in 2017.

But for obvious reasons, you're ignoring the indisputable fact that the Packers paid more in salary to the D between 2013-2016.

Why is it so hard for some to admit that the Pack did NOT get commensurate value for all that money TT paid to the defense between 2013-2016 -- years in which the Pack’s spending on the D ranked 6th (2016), 9th (2015), 2nd (2014), and 9th (2013) overall among NFL teams?

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I acknowledge that the Packers are devoting more money to the D in 2017.

But for obvious reasons, you're ignoring the indisputable fact that the Packers paid more in salary to the D between 2013-2016.

Why is it so hard for some to admit that the Pack did NOT get commensurate value for all that money TT paid to the defense between 2013-2016 -- years in which the Pack’s spending on the D ranked 6th (2016), 9th (2015), 2nd (2014), and 9th (2013) overall among NFL teams?

I agree with this...shrug

It is clear that yes the defense has not performed to their paychecks over that time-frame. But more context is needed to determine why.

As others have stated, losing players hurts tremendously. Like your $12million CB that is still counting against our cap this season but whose career is over.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

It is clear that yes the defense has not performed to their paychecks over that time-frame. But more context is needed to determine why.

As others have stated, losing players hurts tremendously. Like your $12million CB that is still counting against our cap this season but whose career is over.

Collins wouldn't be young anymore but he would have been prime then too. 

It is what it is. I'm just along for the ride. I've never found the blame game to be rewarding. I don't need the intellectual rewards of told you so's to enjoy sports. Hell this season might be as interesting as any for me.. Fun? No. Interesting. Heck yeah.

3 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

John Schneider is Ted Thompson’s alter ego 

I'd really JS over TT since he left but he hasn't been stellar lately either. As much as I hate Pete personally I like what he generally gets out of his team. He convinces them all the world hates them and they play their tails off typically too. Mike seems like okay you're an adult play like one kinda guy to me 

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'd really JS over TT since he left but he hasn't been stellar lately either. As much as I hate Pete personally I like what he generally gets out of his team. He convinces them all the world hates them and they play their tails off typically too. Mike seems like okay you're an adult play like one kinda guy to me 

one of those (the latter) is inherently more likely to handle success well.

And that's the type you need with an elite QB IMO. One will get there, the other will keep you there.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

And that's the type you need with an elite QB IMO. One will get there, the other will keep you there.

Yeah TT is more consistent. People like how John was hot in the draft for a while and made a couple big moves. I see both sides.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Keep you where exactly? 

10 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah TT is more consistent. People like how John was hot in the draft for a while and made a couple big moves. I see both sides.

Schneider would still be my top choice to replace Ted Thompson.  I don't know who's better .. I just think Schneider is way more aggressive and I would prefer that style.  Seattle knew they had a major issue at tackle, so they acquire Duane Brown to fill the hole.  Ted Thompson would not make a move like that.

47 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Schneider would still be my top choice to replace Ted Thompson.  I don't know who's better .. I just think Schneider is way more aggressive and I would prefer that style.  Seattle knew they had a major issue at tackle, so they acquire Duane Brown to fill the hole.  Ted Thompson would not make a move like that.

He'd also not give a first for Percy Harvin. But then again it for Jimmy.

Second for him was spendy. I'm guessing they think they can win it all, obviously, but they need a tackle. 32 lt who was holding out for a new deal and you give a (2019) 2nd. Kid he replaced was a third rounder so he doesn't draft will... Kidding obviously. But you can pro con the hell out of these things.

That being said I'd take John to replace him for sure.

2 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Wasn’t our oline a mess in 2009? 

Sure it's had issues. But the point is he's getting praised for that trade when he was screwing up at that group before. But that's not the way it'll be portrayed at all but you guys 

Archived