If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I have been a naysayer of Ted Thompson's EXTREME reliance on "draft & develop" well since forever.

Letting players like Woodson and Peppers walk so that draftees like McMillian and Fackrell get their necessary snaps to allow your draftee to "develop" is not a sound philosophy.

More like GM malpractice.

see, im a huge fan of draft & develop... unfortunately you have to hit on your picks at about a 50-60% success rate for it to work long term. (especially when you horde 8+ picks every season)

I like having this team young & affordable & competitive for the future any given year. but when you cant keep guys on the field & 1 player being injured significantly impacts how good your team is, its hard to defend the overall roster talent when they cant even show signs of sniffing .500 football

I still really like Hundley, but if he doesn't start showing signs of putting this team in situations where they have a chance to win a football game then he means nothing to our future & is essentially a valueless player @ the most crucial position. there are obviously some other factors that arent helping him. but at some point if youre Hundley you have to also step up & show that you can be a capable starter in the league if you want any chance at a legit shot down the road

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The defense has no pass rush, I actually thought from my vantage point the coverage was alright last night. Randall and King made some nice plays and House was always contesting. When you're a top 15 NFL QB and you have total comfort in the pocket you can place dimes where you want to and that's what Stafford did. Both those TDs were beautiful throws, indefensible.

It was a huge mistake moving on from Peppers and Datone and replacing them with Fackrell and nobody. Obviously Brooks' injuries have been unfortunate but we needed more than that. Matthews should be phased out of the defense and used as a rusher, instead he's playing more than ever. Perry and Daniels have hit post injury walls. 

I actually like the makeup of our secondary. Randall is light years away from the guy benched vs CHI and King has had all good weeks save NO. When a QB can sit there and pat the ball and make whatever throw he wants it's going to be ugly. QBs are too good now and the rules favor the WRs.

I'm done defending Ted and I don't mind if Dom has to fall on the sword with them. McCarthy's game plan sucked again, but I like how he coaches and plans with Rodgers. When Rodgers hangs them up Mac can go with him.

I agree with your entire post except mentioning missing Datone.  He is on his third team this season and isn't making a lot of impact plays in MN.  He is one of Ted's more spectacular busts.

Just now, RoellPreston88 said:

Many were, but they were promptly ridiculed and ran off the forum.

That's not even remotely true and get over yourself for acting like you're a victim for being negative.  Look back on the archives and you'll see that I was the most vocal about losing Peppers, I was the most vocal about disliking Fackrell and I was the most vocal about being worried about our pass rush and the depth there and I was never once ridiculed for that belief. 

Quit acting like a victim.  If everything you say is negative and you don't talk about football without being negative, it's going to be noticed.  The reason nobody likes you is because literally every post of yours is negative.  I've been posting a lot of negative stuff lately, but I also express optimism and I root for the team to WIN. 

You sound like a girly man when everything you say is how you're persecuted for being negative.  You're not being persecuted for your negative thoughts, you're being persecuted because you say nothing but negative things and how negative thoughts get you persecuted.

3 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

Datone has length and a good initial burst.  He would have to accounted for, and could be disruptive without getting home.

He sucked and he was an idiot. I'd be willing to bet there were players and coaches that were very happy to see him gone.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's not even remotely true and get over yourself for acting like you're a victim for being negative.  Look back on the archives and you'll see that I was the most vocal about losing Peppers, I was the most vocal about disliking Fackrell and I was the most vocal about being worried about our pass rush and the depth there and I was never once ridiculed for that belief. 

Quit acting like a victim.  If everything you say is negative and you don't talk about football without being negative, it's going to be noticed.  The reason nobody likes you is because literally every post of yours is negative.  I've been posting a lot of negative stuff lately, but I also express optimism and I root for the team to WIN. 

You sound like a girly man when everything you say is how you're persecuted for being negative.  You're not being persecuted for your negative thoughts, you're being persecuted because you say nothing but negative things and how negative thoughts get you persecuted.

In all fairness to his post I have seen over the last couple years a pretty hostile environment to any negativity regarding the Packers. That being said most have been directed at people that make negative comments without really any real reasoning but hes not entirely wrong. 

Just now, RoellPreston88 said:

Another one of TT's early round busts.

Define early round, and then compare his busts to literally any other team in those same "rounds." 

Better yet, tell me five teams better at drafting than Thompson and I'll show you twice as many "early round busts" that team has drafted. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

In all fairness to his post I have seen over the last couple years a pretty hostile environment to any negativity regarding the Packers. That being said most have been directed at people that make negative comments without really any real reasoning but hes not entirely wrong. 

I'm not talking about negativity.  He said people were ridiculed for not being comfortable with the pass rush, and that was not only a lie, but a damn lie. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm not talking about negativity.  He said people were ridiculed for not being comfortable with the pass rush, and that was not only a lie, but a damn lie. 

Fair enough. I actually totally agree with that statement. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

In my view, "negativity regarding the Packers" has been perfectly tolerated here as long as it was directed at players generally, and certain players specifically.

Heck, I even remember a number of posters criticizing the heck out of ARod last season.

I also think, even before this season, criticism of Dom Capers has not garnered uniform hostility and led to some productive back and forth.

Now someone criticizing Mike McCarthy, that has led to significant blowback, some fair some unfair. I don't think that is really debatable, but perhaps others see it differently.

Finally, from my observation, in the past, any criticism of one particular party has resulted in immediate, swift, and overwhelming retribution for the individual leveling the criticism (other than perhaps the party needed to dabble a bit more when it came to marginal free agents).

In my experience, criticizing this party has led to a strong negative response from his many devoted followers akin to a response by followers of one or the other candidates in the last Presidential election to an attack on the candidate of their choice. Lots of emotion and invective.

But then again if you want to post in a public forum, you've got to be prepared for the response when you criticize an individual who can do no, or at least very little, wrong in the eyes of the fans of the party being criticized. 

I was one of those who kept giving Capers the benefit of a doubt.  I am guilty of overlooking the obvious holes in our defense because we have a once in a lifetime QB who can camouflage a lot of these ills.  Now that #12 is on IR the warts are out in the open for all to see.  But this isn't the worst thing that can happen to us.  It may end up being a blessing when it is all said and done.  It took a big time disaster for McCarthy to finally can Slocum after the melt down in Seattle so perhaps getting embarrassed on national TV will be the coup de gras to get Mac to either fire Capers or encourage him to "retire" in January.

9 hours ago, Pugger said:

I agree with your entire post except mentioning missing Datone.  He is on his third team this season and isn't making a lot of impact plays in MN.  He is one of Ted's more spectacular busts.

Honestly, he gets lumped into that same boat as Khyri Thornton, Jerron McMillian, etc. as they made too much about their projection, and completely ignored their floor.  Datone Jones was a huge projection in that he wasn't your prototypical 43 DE or 34 DE.  He was a bit too heavy, and not explosive enough to be a 43 DE, and there wasn't enough sand in his pants to hold it down as a 34 DE.

5 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Now someone criticizing Mike McCarthy, that has led to significant blowback, some fair some unfair. I don't think that is really debatable, but perhaps others see it differently.

When it's followed by a sound, logical argument there's good discussion.  But when it's the same nonsense that's being repeated time after time, it's not going to go anywhere.  If we're going to sit here and talk about McCarthy's shortcomings, we might actually have an honest discussion about his future.

Archived