One way to address the declining TV ratings

pf9

13 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Convert all television broadcasts to skycam view for the 2018 season. It’s the best viewing angle in ALL OF SPORT.

Skycam takes the whole viewing experience to another level. It’s better than the onboard cam in Motorsport.

The great thing is, it’s almost tailor made for football. The design of others sports means they’re hamstrung & can’t implement an angle like this. 

God no....I've watched enough coaching tape in my life and the Skycam is a poor version of that. I would seriously never watch again if they did this. Terrible way to watch football when all you want is entertainment. 

12 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The league is also just putting out an inferior product to what it was even a decade ago. Some people refuse to see this. The rule changes have done nothing to increase player safety. Head injuries and all other kinds of injuries are just as common as ever. They've increased flags with nothing to show for it. And I don't even think it buys them anything in a courtroom. So why do they keep on that same course without even the slightest honest evaluation? Most people here don't want to hear that, though. They just buy the whole they had no choice argument without a second thought.

I disagree, the rule changes are making the game safer. It takes time to re-train an entire sport but it is happening. You won't see the payoff until kids that are in middle and high school now reach the NFL but 'rugby style tackling' is effective in reducing concussions and its being taught at every level across the US.

People can say it's an inferior on field product..... but here's the reality, the NFL ratings and viewership today are FAR FAR better and take up more of the television market than they ever did in the 80's and 90's. And not for nothing, the best ratings the NFL ever got were like literally 2-3 years ago. Are you really going to argue today's onfield product is wildly inferior to 2013-2015? Like I don't see that much of a change. 

Again when it comes to the ratings, it's just a validation of people who want to feel like they are right about whatever their current pet peeve with the league is. Someone said the Patriots winning so much was causing it, well the highest Super Bowl ever featured them. Someone said it was the Brown's not making the playoffs in 07, well the healthiest years of NFL rating followed that. Someone is saying it's the product, the product was the same a few years ago when the ratings were at an all time high. 

The truth is the television market is decreasing, the NFL was at an all time high in spite of that, the bubble is bursting and it probably was always going to happen and very little is going to change that. Especially in an era where the previous stars are starting to get old and retire.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:54 PM, Marc MacGyver said:

Convert all television broadcasts to skycam view for the 2018 season. It’s the best viewing angle in ALL OF SPORT.

Skycam takes the whole viewing experience to another level. It’s better than the onboard cam in Motorsport.

The great thing is, it’s almost tailor made for football. The design of others sports means they’re hamstrung & can’t implement an angle like this. 

Just stop zooming in on the QB during the broadcast shot after the snap and you'd have an excellent view of the action. The Skycam is cool, but should only be used for replay circumstances.

The 16 team playoff suggestion is garbage, as always.  Whoever suggests that as a means of "improving" the product has no clue what they are talking about.  They should CUT the number of playoff teams before they increase it....but I dont support that either.

12 teams is fine.  The idea of letting half the league in the postseason is a joke.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:41 AM, youngosu said:

I disagree, the rule changes are making the game safer. It takes time to re-train an entire sport but it is happening. You won't see the payoff until kids that are in middle and high school now reach the NFL but 'rugby style tackling' is effective in reducing concussions and its being taught at every level across the US.

It may get a little safer, but you can only do so much.  It's a different sport than rugby.  Until it becomes something other than a collision sport, it's gonna be dangerous.

30 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It may get a little safer, but you can only do so much.  It's a different sport than rugby.  Until it becomes something other than a collision sport, it's gonna be dangerous.

It will get a little safer, as it’s really just an emphasis on correct form tackling. But you’re are correct, it will always be a dangerous sport.

Rugby is actually in the same boat, loads of concussions happen every week in the pros. The amateur level may be even worse.

I have a sneaky suspicion that rugby likely has the same kind of CTE problems lurking under the surface. They just haven’t been investigated to the same degree as football. In some cases, not at all.

Colliding with other people is always going to take a toll on the body, & unfortunately it’s fundamental to the essence of both football & rugby.

1 minute ago, Marc MacGyver said:

It will get a little safer, as it’s really just an emphasis on correct form tackling. But you’re are correct, it will always be s dangerous sport.

Rugby is actually in the same boat, loads of concussions happen every week in the pros. The amateur level may be even worse.

I have a sneaky suspicion that rugby likely has the same kind of CTE problems lurking under the surface. They just haven’t been investigated to the same degree as football. In some cases, not at all.

Colliding with other people is always going to take a toll on the body, & unfortunately it’s fundamental to the essence of both football & rugby.

The thing with football is, you've got the forward pass, and guys running full speed downfield with their eyes in the air, and collisions at full speed are inevitable on just about every play.  

3 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Just stop zooming in on the QB during the broadcast shot after the snap and you'd have an excellent view of the action. The Skycam is cool, but should only be used for replay circumstances.

It’s time to send this to the comparison forum, because the forum seems split.

I’ll do it up now.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:12 PM, El ramster said:

No.. Streaming and piracy much like it did with music is killing ratings..

you dont even need a TV nor cable to watch perfect HD games.. Just stream it thru their app for free like they did many of years ago..

they will get their ratings back up again... Watch it when you go take a dump! Watch it wherever and whenever.. That yahoo crap was wack.. 

Yep.  A system in which all screens are equal will benefit ratings vs. how they are currently being measured.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:56 PM, lancerman said:

People can say it's an inferior on field product..... but here's the reality, the NFL ratings and viewership today are FAR FAR better and take up more of the television market than they ever did in the 80's and 90's. And not for nothing, the best ratings the NFL ever got were like literally 2-3 years ago. Are you really going to argue today's onfield product is wildly inferior to 2013-2015? Like I don't see that much of a change. 

Again when it comes to the ratings, it's just a validation of people who want to feel like they are right about whatever their current pet peeve with the league is. Someone said the Patriots winning so much was causing it, well the highest Super Bowl ever featured them. Someone said it was the Brown's not making the playoffs in 07, well the healthiest years of NFL rating followed that. Someone is saying it's the product, the product was the same a few years ago when the ratings were at an all time high. 

The truth is the television market is decreasing, the NFL was at an all time high in spite of that, the bubble is bursting and it probably was always going to happen and very little is going to change that. Especially in an era where the previous stars are starting to get old and retire.

On this front, when people keep saying inferior product, I'm not sure what they mean.  Some say the slate of games is bad, but it's not like the entire slate on a weekly basis 20 years ago was all great teams vs. all great teams.  The league has always averaged out to .500.  Some people say QB play is bad.  I would say QB play from a skill perspective is at an all-time high.  Further, if you go back just 10-15 years ago, you'll find guys like Jeff Blake, Chris Chandler, Kordell Stewart, Craig Krenzel, etc. starting games.  It's not like backup QBs are a new thing.  Further, the 32nd best starting QB has ALWAYS been worse than all of the other QBs in the league, it's not like this is a new thing.  Maybe there are legit gripes, but a lot of the critiques I've seen/heard claiming an inferior product don't actually make a ton of sense.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The 16 team playoff suggestion is garbage, as always.  Whoever suggests that as a means of "improving" the product has no clue what they are talking about.  They should CUT the number of playoff teams before they increase it....but I dont support that either.

12 teams is fine.  The idea of letting half the league in the postseason is a joke.

Yep.  If anything, I think an expanded playoff would reduce interest in the regular season.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

the reason tv ratings are down is because the NFL doesn't have an easily accessible online live streaming service. As people move away from TVs to streaming the NFL needs to get out of the stone age and get with the times. 

Part of the problem on that one is the contract with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket.  

Archived