Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I understand what PED's to for performance but the majority of Irving's trouble was related to substance abuse, aka weed, just like Waller. 

Even before the PED suspension he had 4 sacks as a rotational piece for the Cowboys in 2016. Irving is clearly a very talented player, do I think he's going to break out and be a dominant force? Probably not. But I definitely think he has a chance to be a solid contributor for our interior pass rush. It's a low risk, high reward situation on a 1 yr/$1M deal. 

Rankins has one good year of sack production playing on a stacked defense and hasn't been able to stay healthy. When he stopped playing/became less effective the Saints defense and pass rush actually improved. 

Come on man.  Do i really have to explain this to you?  Do you really think he took PED's the day before he got busted?  There is a very good chance he had been on it awhile before he got pinched. Since he got pinched and the effects of the PED's wore off his production has been nothing.  

Rankins was clearly not 100 percent coming back from a devastating injury, however here are some facts about his play before his Achilles tear.  As you can see a healthy Rankins was a force in both the run and passing game. 

Before his injury, Rankins was playing outstanding football. He was Pro Football Focus‘ 21st-ranked defensive tackle in the league and racked up 15 quarterback hits, 12 tackles for a loss and eight sacks. Now, the biggest question surrounding the Saints will be just how much will they miss him this week against the Rams? The answer may not be kind to the Saints’ faithful.

According to The Quant Edge, the Saints’ defensive success rate against the run took a massive hit when Rankins wasn’t on the field this season. Teams averaged just 3.41 yards per carry when he was on the field and that sky-rocketed to 3.83 without him. Simply put, the Saints’ defense looks very different without Rankins in the lineup.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Come on man.  Do i really have to explain this to you?  Do you really think he took PED's the day before he got busted?  There is a very good chance he had been on it awhile before he got pinched. Since he got pinched and the effects of the PED's wore off his production has been nothing.  

Rankins was clearly not 100 percent coming back from a devastating injury, however here are some facts about his play before his Achilles tear.  As you can see a healthy Rankins was a force in both the run and passing game. 

Before his injury, Rankins was playing outstanding football. He was Pro Football Focus‘ 21st-ranked defensive tackle in the league and racked up 15 quarterback hits, 12 tackles for a loss and eight sacks. Now, the biggest question surrounding the Saints will be just how much will they miss him this week against the Rams? The answer may not be kind to the Saints’ faithful.

According to The Quant Edge, the Saints’ defensive success rate against the run took a massive hit when Rankins wasn’t on the field this season. Teams averaged just 3.41 yards per carry when he was on the field and that sky-rocketed to 3.83 without him. Simply put, the Saints’ defense looks very different without Rankins in the lineup.

There have been numerous MMA fighters that have tested positive for PED's from taking tainted substances. After the PED's wore off his production has been nothing? He has played in 4 games due to suspensions for smoking weed. 

Rankins has one good year of production in 5 NFL seasons, it's an outlier. And as you just admitted he hasn't been the same player since his devastating injury. In 22 games over the last two seasons he has 3.5 sacks and 5 TFL while also posting a terrible run defense grade in both seasons. 

In 2018 with Rankins playing at his best the Saints defense and pass rush was worse than what it was in 2019/2020 without him being a factor. 

Will he ever return to form? It's a huge gamble based on his play and injury issues the last two seasons. Over the last two seasons Quinton Jefferson has graded out better against the run and has almost twice the sack production of Rankins. 

We essentially signed Irving, Jefferson, and Thomas for the same price we would've had to pay Rankins. 

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Watch the language or I will give you a warning.  

I would have gone after Reed at DT now that he was released unless there is something I have missed.

We have had this conversation about Heath.  Back up borderline starter but you are correct he is better than Harris but we also had Heath last year.

There are competent S on the market that we are not pursuing or else we would hear rumors about it.

I am all for making value deals but if you offer my something for half off that I do not have much need for and have limited money I will go after what I need first and then spend what is leftover on luxuries.

I do not think our young players are crap but we can not expect all of them to become good players this year when some have shown very little so far. 

My criticisms are more about what they have not done more so then what they have done.

I'd be inclined to agree, but they still have $$$ and are not done.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There have been numerous MMA fighters that have tested positive for PED's from taking tainted substances. After the PED's wore off his production has been nothing? He has played in 4 games due to suspensions for smoking weed. 

Rankins has one good year of production in 5 NFL seasons, it's an outlier. And as you just admitted he hasn't been the same player since his devastating injury. In 22 games over the last two seasons he has 3.5 sacks and 5 TFL while also posting a terrible run defense grade in both seasons. 

In 2018 with Rankins playing at his best the Saints defense and pass rush was worse than what it was in 2019/2020 without him being a factor. 

Will he ever return to form? It's a huge gamble based on his play and injury issues the last two seasons. Over the last two seasons Quinton Jefferson has graded out better against the run and has almost twice the sack production of Rankins. 

We essentially signed Irving, Jefferson, and Thomas for the same price we would've had to pay Rankins. 

Robert Saleh had the chance to sign S. Thomas who he watched play/practice every day and didn't go after him.  I hope Thomas pans out but once again it's a long shot as he has never produced anything on the NFL level.  

Do you really think that any athlete will come out and admit they got busted for taking PED's?  Their legal team feeds all of those guys the same script and you cant see that? LOL  "It was some foreign substance that they had no clue they ingested".   You seriously cant be that naive as that is steroid abuse 101.  Deny, deny, deny until you get busted and then blame it on some substance you didn't know you were taking.

You want to talk about MMA fighters who juiced, got busted, then their careers fell off?  I can rattle off about 20 off of the top of my head lol 

yWwzksy.jpg

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'd be inclined to agree, but they still have $$$ and are not done.

One of the biggest issues we've had in free agency in recent years is that we've rushed to sign high profile FA to big contracts, none of those deals have panned out that well for us. 

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Morrow is average, Kwik is also an average MLB, Littleton has flashed on a team littered with talent and a fearsome pass rush.  Last year he was average at best with the talent surrounding him.  So we have a bunch of average LB's that hopefully dont get hurt because we have zero depth behind them.  

YN is good at rushing the passer but is on his 4th team in 2 years for a reason.  Our outside pass rush has improved but we still have nothing proven on the interior in terms of pass rush.  Until someone steps up's QB's will literally step up and have all day to pass.  

Our safety play was a disaster and so far we have signed nothing to make me think otherwise.  Our safeties are still terrible.

We had players like NA last year throwing a fit because we have no leadership, accountability and a terrible culture for a franchise that has 1 winning season in the last 20 years.  Heck we just signed a bum like Bill Sneed who is talking about coning in here and changing the culture.  You want to know what changes a teams culture?  It's really not rocket science, it's one simple word.... Winning and this team is still very far from being a team that is a legitimate winner.  You can attempt to sugar coat it all you want but no legit players want to come here and get their teeth kicked in every Sunday.  You can just look at our FA signings once again for proof.  

We could have signed an impact WR with our money, we didn't. We could have went after a potential #1 Cb in FA yet did nothing, we could have signed some Olineman other than average at best Martin and 38 year old RI (who I do like when healthy) abs we didn’t or couldn’t. We could have went after some decent talent with upside potential at LB and nothing.  

YOY it's the same trash that we hope pans out which rarely does but when they do, they hit the  road just like NA and Hudson did this offseason.  

Morrow is one of the best coverage LB in the NFL by coverage snap metrics. Kwit is a good player on a bad defense. He is good by nearly every metric you can find. Littleton was also one of the best coverage linebackers in the NFL for several years before coming to the Raiders. He was misused and even played at SAM at times. You can't say he doesn't have talent. Point being these aren't bums out there. They can all play.

We still have a hole at safety, but Heath was good last year at free safety. Someone tell me heath didn't perform when he played free safety. I'll wait.

What #1 cornerback is on the market? Show me how well paying 10+ to free agent cornerbacks has worked out. What impact wide receiver did you want to sign? I think allocating less $ to receiver was smart.

Why would we pay for another linebacker? It's not what's wrong with this team. Inexperience in the secondary and lack of pass rush are. The secondary players will be a year more experienced and have one of the best secondary coaches in the NFL now in Ron Milus. Plus we added one of the best pure pass rushers in the NFL in Ngakoue (at least top 15). 

I really don't see doom and gloom with this team. I"ll check back in a week and we'll see how some of these posts age.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Moreau 21 catches for 174 yards and 5 TDs.  TDs are good but not the rest.  Was not an impact player.

Renfrow 49 catches for 605 yards and 4 TDs.  Good #3 WR not an impact.

Johnson I will not even put his stats up.

I like all 3 players a lot and think they have some serious potential but the were not impact players.  Moreau got hosed for Witte last year and Renfrow will probably have the same thing happen with Snead this year.  The point was we can not expect to draft players and have them come in and change the team.  Now we may get lucky but the smart money says no.  Once again I am willing to bet my draft choices will have more of an impact on their teams then Gruden's.  

Teams with as many young players as we have need to bank on SOME improvement. I don't think that's unreasonable. We'll see what happens. Mayocks first draft was good for the most part. His second wasn't (so far). I'm willing to give him this year to see if he "has it" or not.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Robert Saleh had the chance to sign S. Thomas who he watched play/practice every day and didn't go after him.  I hope Thomas pans out but once again it's a long shot as he has never produced anything on the NFL level.  

Robert Saleh also only had one very good year as a defensive coordinator with arguably one of, if not the, best defensive lines in recent NFL history. In his 3 other years as the 49ers DC their defense allowed more ppg than ours did under KNJ and they've had a losing record in all three of those seasons. 

Am I saying that Irving will be an unstoppable force? No. But he's a low risk/high reward signing just like Thomas. While Ranks is a high risk/low reward signing.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Teams with as many young players as we have need to bank on SOME improvement. I don't think that's unreasonable. We'll see what happens. Mayocks first draft was good for the most part. His second wasn't (so far). I'm willing to give him this year to see if he "has it" or not.

Mayock was praised as a draft guru after his first rookie class was the most productive in NFL history. His second class didn't perform well but there were so many variables that contributed to that. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock was praised as a draft guru after his first rookie class was the most productive in NFL history. His second class didn't perform well but there were so many variables that contributed to that. 

I'm not ready to give up on him after a COVID draft. I'm not down on Ruggs/Arnette/Edwards/Robertson/Simpson at all.