Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Okay? We had injuries to guard last year too. We have simpson waiting in the wings and Parker is a competent backup left tackle. He sucks on the right side, but this is an incredibly deep OL group. No way we just go with Parker at RT. We probably draft a tackle and 1 interior OL in the first 3-4 rounds.

The interior defensive line at the very least will be the same because we retained the players that played well and brought in talented guys like Jefferson to compete for cheap. We didn't overpay for a mediocre DT market as a whole, which was smart.

Other than Jacobs (1st round RB better do something) and Crosby (More luck than anything) when has Gruden drafted a player that performed well in year one?  Not performed well for where they were drafted but overall.  Our record with FAs is not much better.  Cable seems to think Parker is a RT and a player like Jefferson had a good year and then crapped the bed the next.  We know how that worked out with Collins.  Maybe the defense will go as far as Jefferson will take us.  We are just throwing spaghetti at the wall and making the same mistakes every year.  The defense will suck until we get an impact 3T and even then it still might struggle.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand that but I do not waste my time right now with positions we do not need.  Competition is good but right now our focus should be Reed, Hooker, and Schwartz or at least those positions.  Those 3 speed WRs are going to be good decoys because once Carr knows we can not protect him he will start throwing short of the first down while the defense stacks the box to stop out RBs.  Meanwhile our defense will give up 2 scores and after that the other team will just run the ball and wear down the defense so that we give up another 3 scores in the 4th and our offense has had 5-8 3 and outs.

I’m with you ... why are we caring about willie sneed... any day of the year you can find a comparable guy or better then him.  Why are we not closing and DBs or OTs?  To get honest LB is a bit thin at depth and we could use someone there too.

4 huge wholes at RT, FS, CB, sCB  plus minor needs like a swing tackle (Parker sucks for 2.5M) and LB depth... and Willie Snead is the priority?  Unbelievable... I get Mayock and Gruden are running around hi5ing each other around the office like they did something.

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

The fact that Hankins and Morrow are 2 of our best D players is pathetic in itself.  

We had 40 million to spend and brought in stop gap/ backup talent outside of YN who is on his 4th team in 2 years.  

Our D is still absolutely trash with holes at safety, CB, LB, interior DL and no depth at all.

Oline has taken a step backwards, our WR corp is littered with 3/4's and unproven talent.  

For these reasons this is a 6 win team in one of the most difficult divisions in the NFL

Bull****. What holes at LB? We have 3 LB that have all shown quality stretches of NFL play. There is no Tahir whitehead getting play time anymore.

Ngakoue is top 5 in pressures in the NFL since 2016. Doing that despite being on 3 teams is actually even more impressive.

Interior DL has plenty of players who have shown ability. We can bring in a rookie too, but there is no signing we could have made that's any better than what we have. Rankins at best was a question mark like Jefferson/Thomas/Philon. And with a more extensive injury history than all of them.

Safety at worst will be better than last year because Heath made 3x as many plays as Harris did. Plus we can't possibly be done. Ditto with cornerback.

What were you expecting the Raiders to do? Sign a safety that wasn't even on the market? Sign a pro bowl defensive tackle who would never hit the market? 

They made smart, cost-effective signings. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I also think it's hard to judge our team because we have so many young pieces and between year 1 to 2 / 2 to 3 is usually when you see guys take a leap. Kolton Miller was arguably the worst rookie LT in NFL history and took a big jump in years 2 and 3. Khalil Mack had 4 sacks as a rookie and 15 in his second season. 

Nah apparently all our young players are busts because they haven't shown enough yet.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you change the outcome on 3 plays we finish 11-5, that's the reality of it despite having a terrible defense, lol. 

The Jets, Broncos and Chargers all gave them a win. Hanging on "what ifs" is useless. Reality, good teams win the games they are suppose to win. The Raiders were not a good team and are arguably worse thus far into the offseason.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Other than Jacobs (1st round RB better do something) and Crosby (More luck than anything) when has Gruden drafted a player that performed well in year one?  Not performed well for where they were drafted but overall.  Our record with FAs is not much better.  Cable seems to think Parker is a RT and a player like Jefferson had a good year and then crapped the bed the next.  We know how that worked out with Collins.  Maybe the defense will go as far as Jefferson will take us.  We are just throwing spaghetti at the wall and making the same mistakes every year.  The defense will suck until we get an impact 3T and even then it still might struggle.

Renfrow. Moreau. Isaiah Johnson if you give him an injury mulligan. 

I am all for an impact 3 technique. Are they just growing on trees? Same thing for impact free safeties.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Free agency isn't over and the draft hasn't taken place yet. We don't even have the full picture of what the team will be next season. 

There is nobody in FA that can impact the defense in a big way. The A players are long gone. The draft is a crap shoot. 

Barring a big splash trade or a rookie home run pick, this team is pretty easy to project already

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m with you ... why are we caring about willie sneed... any day of the year you can find a comparable guy or better then him.  Why are we not closing and DBs or OTs?  To get honest LB is a bit thin at depth and we could use someone there too.

4 huge wholes at RT, FS, CB, sCB  plus minor needs like a swing tackle (Parker sucks for 2.5M) and LB depth... and Willie Snead is the priority?  Unbelievable... I get Mayock and Gruden are running around hi5ing each other around the office like they did something.

He's not the priority. They can easily clear more cap space and I'm sure they've offered people. They just need to accept the offers.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Well then it's great that the season starts in September and not today, huh? I'm not saying we'll be great. I expect a 9-8 or 8-9 season but I don't think it's time to hit the panic button just yet, I'll wait until the draft before I make any assumptions. 

Exactly. Way too early to say the sky is falling. Way way way too early.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Barring a big splash trade or a rookie home run pick, this team is pretty easy to project already

Our 2019 rookie class was the most productive in NFL history despite Ferrell not playing that well and Abram missing the entire season. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I also don't think he had better players around him. He's never had less than eight sacks in a season which speaks to his consistency(consistency we haven't had since Khalil Mack.) Even if we're not talking about sacks, the guy gets a lot of pressure as well.

poQi4vRTj

The list of superior talent Yannick has played with is extensive though. 

Jalen Ramsey, Josh Allen, Tyson Alualu, Pat Queen, Matt Judon, Calais Campbell, Marcus Peters, Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Telvin Smith, Myles Jack, AJ Bouye, Paul Posluzny, Tasaun Gipson, Malik Jackson, Marlon  Humphrey.

Every single one of those guys is far, far, far superior than pretty much any player we've had at the same position (or at all for many lf them) on defense during Crosby's time with the team. 

The lone exception might be Mullen slightly ahead of Peters and Kwit being younger than Posluzny was. The rest, nobody on our defense the last few years can even hold a candle to. Practically none them were 1 year wonderkinds either with the exception of Queen who was a rookie. Virtually all of them were firmly established and entrenched starters chased down during FA as being among the best at their positions. 

That he has consistently played with superior talent than the Raiders have isn't really even a subjective opinion. At least 2 he played a bulk of his time are on HOF watch (Ramsey and Campbell) with Harrison Smith being closer to a HOF worthy career than not (I don't think he ultimately gets in, mind you). 

Particularly at LB, he's played with several guys who are already considered among ts best at their positions or are roundly projected to be the future of their position for the next 8-10 years. 

Thhe secondaries he's played with are light years ahead of ours. 

And his DL cohorts have all had more pass rush than the Raiders.

Yannick has never had to be the star of a bad defense. He's never been the sole, lone pass rush option. And he's 100% played his entire career with the benefit of far better talent around him than he currently has in Las Vegas.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bull****. What holes at LB? We have 3 LB that have all shown quality stretches of NFL play. There is no Tahir whitehead getting play time anymore.

Ngakoue is top 5 in pressures in the NFL since 2016. Doing that despite being on 3 teams is actually even more impressive.

Interior DL has plenty of players who have shown ability. We can bring in a rookie too, but there is no signing we could have made that's any better than what we have. Rankins at best was a question mark like Jefferson/Thomas/Philon. And with a more extensive injury history than all of them.

Safety at worst will be better than last year because Heath made 3x as many plays as Harris did. Plus we can't possibly be done. Ditto with cornerback.

What were you expecting the Raiders to do? Sign a safety that wasn't even on the market? Sign a pro bowl defensive tackle who would never hit the market? 

They made smart, cost-effective signings. 

Nah apparently all our young players are busts because they haven't shown enough yet.

Watch the language or I will give you a warning.  

I would have gone after Reed at DT now that he was released unless there is something I have missed.

We have had this conversation about Heath.  Back up borderline starter but you are correct he is better than Harris but we also had Heath last year.

There are competent S on the market that we are not pursuing or else we would hear rumors about it.

I am all for making value deals but if you offer my something for half off that I do not have much need for and have limited money I will go after what I need first and then spend what is leftover on luxuries.

I do not think our young players are crap but we can not expect all of them to become good players this year when some have shown very little so far. 

My criticisms are more about what they have not done more so then what they have done.

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Yannick has never had to be the star of a bad defense. He's never been the sole, lone pass rush option. 

During his rookie season he had 8 sacks and the Jaguars were one of the worst teams in the league. Their 2nd leading pass rusher had 6.5 sacks and they only had 33 total as a team. 

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you change the outcome on 3 plays we finish 11-5, that's the reality of it despite having a terrible defense, lol. 

Eh, both you and @Frankie2Gunzare right though. 

3 plays, we get a lucky 11-5 record. 

But how many plays were we away from a worse record? 

We had plenty of lucky bounces go our way. If Gregg Williams doesn't crap the bed, we're 7-9 with a loss to one of the worst teams I've ever seen.