Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

2 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

That's what i thought but some posts here got me confused.

I guess I was wrong about the speed.  I just thought he was fast since everytime I say him do something he was beating the DBs deep.  Still does not change my mind about this team making stupid decisions.  In fact it makes it worse.  We got a backup slot WR.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I guess I was wrong about the speed.  I just thought he was fast since everytime I say him do something he was beating the DBs deep.  Still does not change my mind about this team making stupid decisions.  In fact it makes it worse.  We got a backup slot WR.

I guess we don't need backups.

36 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

So we now have 3 sub 6' speed WRs, 1 sub 6' slot WR, and a 6'3" unproven 2nd year player that has upside and close to 0 production.  I guess they were not sure Ruggs or Brown could duplicate Agholor's production.  Meanwhile Carr is still going to get killed and our defense will probably give up way to many yards while still not being able to get off the field.  Hopefully they will be able to play above their talent with better coaching but right now they do not have top 25 talent.  Going to be another frustrating season.

I thought carr preferred bigger targets 🤷🏾‍♂️ Why get so many similar type wrs? 

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand that but I do not waste my time right now with positions we do not need.  Competition is good but right now our focus should be Reed, Hooker, and Schwartz or at least those positions.  Those 3 speed WRs are going to be good decoys because once Carr knows we can not protect him he will start throwing short of the first down while the defense stacks the box to stop out RBs.  Meanwhile our defense will give up 2 scores and after that the other team will just run the ball and wear down the defense so that we give up another 3 scores in the 4th and our offense has had 5-8 3 and outs.

While I agree in principle as it seems at this stage perplexing why they haven’t addressed some positions, if you can improve any position, and it is unlikely to cost a significant amount then why not? 

As much as I have little faith in the FO and expect an mishmash, unbalanced roster when all’s said and done, I can’t believe that they won’t bring in a CB or S at some point. So in the interim, I don’t see any harm in strengthening the depth of a unit

Just now, oakdb36 said:

I guess we don't need backups.

We do need backups but I would like to get some holes filled with the 22 starters before I focus on backups.  Right now we have Heath at FS (not the worst choice but not a starter), not a single reliable 3T (Some might prove to be decent but nothing I am willing to bet on), and Parker at RT (this alone should scare you).  So we are missing 2 of the most important aspects of our D and have somebody who might single handedly implode our offense.  Screw it let's sign Willie Snead to be our back up slot WR.

3 minutes ago, reddevil said:

While I agree in principle as it seems at this stage perplexing why they haven’t addressed some positions, if you can improve any position, and it is unlikely to cost a significant amount then why not? 

As much as I have little faith in the FO and expect an mishmash, unbalanced roster when all’s said and done, I can’t believe that they won’t bring in a CB or S at some point. So in the interim, I don’t see any harm in strengthening the depth of a unit

The market for reliable players starts to dry up after a while.  We are getting to the point where it could be a problem.  If we walk away with the 2 of 3 players a said earlier I will come back and say I was wrong but this team is making moves that are making just about everyone scratch their head.  Their are not even rumors that we are in touch with any of these players.

I mean, he’s had a better career than Agholor. 

depth signing with upside, put up good numbers with Brees then kinda wasted out in BMore, where no WRs are signing, hmmm. This ain’t the signing that prevents us from addressing needs. I don’t get the hate. 

44 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I like Snead more then most. Has always been a reliable WR if hes your 4th or 5th WR on your team then your WR group is in good shape. 

The way I see him is he brings what is Zay Jones brings to the team except he can actually play. This move could spell the end of Zay Jones in camp. 

34 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We do need backups but I would like to get some holes filled with the 22 starters before I focus on backups.  Right now we have Heath at FS (not the worst choice but not a starter), not a single reliable 3T (Some might prove to be decent but nothing I am willing to bet on), and Parker at RT (this alone should scare you).  So we are missing 2 of the most important aspects of our D and have somebody who might single handedly implode our offense.  Screw it let's sign Willie Snead to be our back up slot WR.

Yeah but I have to think we still have $ and are waiting on guys to sign. No way we haven't offered anyone.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I like Snead more then most. Has always been a reliable WR if hes your 4th or 5th WR on your team then your WR group is in good shape. 

Snead was almost a 1,000 yard WR in New Orleans. He has #2 in terms of receiving yards in Baltimore over the last 3 seasons. In his first season in Baltimore he was on pace for 800 yards when Flacco was the starter and then his production took a major dip as soon as Jackson took over at QB. 

Not saying that he'll replicate his success/production but he reminds me of Agholor. An unsung free agent that has had his moments but hasn't been productive over the last couple of seasons for reasons out of his control. And a guy that's still young at 28 who could be a surprise contributor. 

Yay for the annual redundant and unnecessary veteran signing because Gruden likes his vets. 

Seriously, how does one defend spending money on this move when we have actual needs elsewhere for not only a starter but depth as well? 

Snead isn't bad, he's just a pointless signing. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

So we now have 3 sub 6' speed WRs, 1 sub 6' slot WR, and a 6'3" unproven 2nd year player that has upside and close to 0 production.  I guess they were not sure Ruggs or Brown could duplicate Agholor's production.  Meanwhile Carr is still going to get killed and our defense will probably give up way to many yards while still not being able to get off the field.  Hopefully they will be able to play above their talent with better coaching but right now they do not have top 25 talent.  Going to be another frustrating season.

No quality players want to sign or play for the dumpster fire known as the Raiders organization/Gruden.  It's pretty embarrassing that we had 40 million in cap space and walked away with minimal impact.  We have improved our edge rush with YN and our RB depth with Drake but besides that it's been pretty pathetic considering how little depth and talent we have.

• Like 2