Raiders sign WR Willie Snead

Turnobili

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm just trying to figure out the idea behind his logic?  He is implying that the only thing that makes a QB good is mobility which I find ludicrous.  

The reason the Chiefs/Bills offenses were dynamic without big WR's is because Allen and Mahomes are light years better than Carr. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Free agency isn't over and the draft hasn't taken place yet. We don't even have the full picture of what the team will be next season. 

I am basing my assessment on the fact we have little money left in FA and when we had a lot of money to spend we made very little impact.  Couple that with our track record of drafting terribly and that is why I feel we are currently a 6 win team.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't understand the optimism.  20 years for dumpster fires, 40 million in money to spend in Fa with very little overall impact made on this team yet this is the year.  

I just don't get it...

What does the 20 years have to do with it? This is a different team and front office.

We're not done. We added Ngakoue, who is easily the best defensive addition in the last 3 years and we did it on an incredibly friendly deal. 

Then we added talented rotational defensive lineman on cheap prove-it deals, of whom Jefferson has actually been pretty good at rushing the passer. And Philon/Irving have both shown high quality play in the past. And we didn't hamstring our long term cap to get any of those guys.

We brought back 2 of our best defensive players in Hankins and Morrow for cheap.

We didn't overpay for Agholor. We brought in Brown and Snead, who are at worst WR3/4 types for a fraction of the price.

We brought in a talented back, who while a slight overpay at 5.5 APY gives us one of the best 3 backfields in the NFL.

AND we had mariota take a paycut to 3 million, which is a steal.

And we still have the money/draft to address OL/Safety/CB. Agholor was signed late in free agency and was a high impact guy in the end. Free agency isn't over yet.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Exactly. The OL was a revolving door last year, we had almost no rookie contribution, and Jacobs was banged up. And we had a historically bad defense with an incompetent coordinator and we still went 8-8 with a chance for more.

I don't see doom and gloom yet. Not at all. 

How much has this team improved from before the draft last year?  You can not make the assumption that there will not be injuries because we had so many last year.  On paper this team is worse than it was 1 year ago at this point.  We upgraded Booker with Drake and YN makes our edge rushers better.  Miller  and Good are the only O-line men I trust and Goods best asset is his flexibility.  Right now our starting o-line is 

Miller - Incognito - James - Good - Parker

I can almost guarantee one of them gets hurt this year and you better hope it is Parker.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The reason the Chiefs/Bills offenses were dynamic without big WR's is because Allen and Mahomes are light years better than Carr. 

Mahomes is one of the best QB's in the game and Allen had a heck of a season.  I am not debating that but to say that only QB's who are mobile are good is flat out insane. 

Just now, drfrey13 said:

How much has this team improved from before the draft last year?  You can not make the assumption that there will not be injuries because we had so many last year.  On paper this team is worse than it was 1 year ago at this point.  We upgraded Booker with Drake and YN makes our edge rushers better.  Miller  and Good are the only O-line men I trust and Goods best asset is his flexibility.  Right now our starting o-line is 

Miller - Incognito - James - Good - Parker

I can almost guarantee one of them gets hurt this year and you better hope it is Parker.

Okay? We had injuries to guard last year too. We have simpson waiting in the wings and Parker is a competent backup left tackle. He sucks on the right side, but this is an incredibly deep OL group. No way we just go with Parker at RT. We probably draft a tackle and 1 interior OL in the first 3-4 rounds.

The interior defensive line at the very least will be the same because we retained the players that played well and brought in talented guys like Jefferson to compete for cheap. We didn't overpay for a mediocre DT market as a whole, which was smart.

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I am basing my assessment on the fact we have little money left in FA and when we had a lot of money to spend we made very little impact.  Couple that with our track record of drafting terribly and that is why I feel we are currently a 6 win team.

We have 5 young first round picks from the previous two classes in Ferrell, Abram, Jacobs, Ruggs, and Arnette. We'll have to see how they develop going into year 2/3. In addition to other young guys such as Trayvon Mullen, Bryan Edwards Isaiah Johnson, Amik Robertson, Tanner Muse, Maxx Crosby, and Foster Moreau. Good teams are built through the draft and our 2019 rookie class was one of the most productive in NFL history. Our 2020 class wasn't great but they also came into the league during the Covid year and had limited off-season time. 

Not to mention guys like Kwit and Littleton should improve under Bradley's scheme and our pass rush should improve with the addition of Yannick. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

At this point last year no one had any faith in Nelly or Booker being any good. 

Exactly. 1 year prove it deals are always good. Motivate a player to play very well. If they don't, no biggie. If they do, you have a chance to extend them/keep them around.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

What does the 20 years have to do with it? This is a different team and front office.

We're not done. We added Ngakoue, who is easily the best defensive addition in the last 3 years and we did it on an incredibly friendly deal. 

Then we added talented rotational defensive lineman on cheap prove-it deals, of whom Jefferson has actually been pretty good at rushing the passer. And Philon/Irving have both shown high quality play in the past. And we didn't hamstring our long term cap to get any of those guys.

We brought back 2 of our best defensive players in Hankins and Morrow for cheap.

We didn't overpay for Agholor. We brought in Brown and Snead, who are at worst WR3/4 types for a fraction of the price.

We brought in a talented back, who while a slight overpay at 5.5 APY gives us one of the best 3 backfields in the NFL.

AND we had mariota take a paycut to 3 million, which is a steal.

And we still have the money/draft to address OL/Safety/CB. Agholor was signed late in free agency and was a high impact guy in the end. Free agency isn't over yet.

The fact that Hankins and Morrow are 2 of our best D players is pathetic in itself.  

We had 40 million to spend and brought in stop gap/ backup talent outside of YN who is on his 4th team in 2 years.  

Our D is still absolutely trash with holes at safety, CB, LB, interior DL and no depth at all.

Oline has taken a step backwards, our WR corp is littered with 3/4's and unproven talent.  

For these reasons this is a 6 win team in one of the most difficult divisions in the NFL

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Change the outcome of 3 plays last season and we're 11-5 despite having the worst defense in franchise history. 

Stop this. This is the laziest thing going around on the twitter too. Change the outcome in 3 plays and they are a 5 win team.

They were not remotely close to the postseason. The teams they are competing with in the playoff race got better thus far in the offseason. Add to it the Pats, Jets, Bronocs and Chargers all look improved and they are getting pushed further down the rankings.

The Raiders are closer to a top 10 pick today than a playoff appearance.  

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Exactly. 1 year prove it deals are always good. Motivate a player to play very well. If they don't, no biggie. If they do, you have a chance to extend them/keep them around.

I also think it's hard to judge our team because we have so many young pieces and between year 1 to 2 / 2 to 3 is usually when you see guys take a leap. Kolton Miller was arguably the worst rookie LT in NFL history and took a big jump in years 2 and 3. Khalil Mack had 4 sacks as a rookie and 15 in his second season. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

The Raiders are closer to a top 10 pick today than a playoff appearance.  

Well then it's great that the season starts in September and not today, huh? I'm not saying we'll be great. I expect a 9-8 or 8-9 season but I don't think it's time to hit the panic button just yet, I'll wait until the draft before I make any assumptions. 

• Like 1