Staying or Going - The 2018 Early Entry or Not Thread

CalhounLambeau

41 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yeah but this is a running back we are talking here. More wear and tear = less value for NFL franchises.

He's studying stem cells in his spare time at Stanford. I think he's operating on a different level nor is he as worried about his bank account as the average prospect. 

6 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Enough already. The Clemson group is extremely close, they wanted to go out together and that was all rumored well before they talked to the coaches. They did what they wanted. Plenty of other Clemson players without 1st round grades declared early this year and in years past. The coach gets these players in the first place for a reason.

I'm simply speaking my truth. It's a bad business decision.

4 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

They love college. They love their friends. They love the experience. They're taking the risk and will all be millionaires regardless. Who cares. They have a different set of values. Why is this so hard for people to accept and understand? Some people make decisions that go against their financial interest because they want to be happy and don't fear they will have financial issues. I left a higher paying job last year because I hated it and went back to my old job so I could be happy again. Did I make a wrong decision? There is nothing wrong with that. You don't know anything about these players and who are you to judge what's a right and wrong decision?

Probably not. I turned down a job where I'd be making double what I do now for my own reasons. But in the case of the players, they're turning down football for football.

In Love's case, it is logical. For Ferrell and Wilkins, it is not imo.

6 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

All 4 could be 1st round picks, easily.

Name other defensive lines with that much talent.

Completely agree, anyone that does not think so does not know the recent history well.  Especially if one looks specifically at true 4/3 teams not including specialty 3/4 OLB pass rushers.  Clemson having Ferrell and Wilkins both come back is unheard of this day and age.  All three are for sure first round picks with Lawrence, and Bryant could become one as well.  Here are some of the fine DL groups over the years I can remember, a lot of solid groups but few have that much elite talent as Clemson will especially if one just looks at the starting four.  Depth wise could argue with a few other groups having more but will see, sure Clemson will find some more that will play well next year also.   Ferrell and Wilkins I had as potentially high 1st round picks, both of them and just that alone few go back to school being projected that high, kind of cool and will be fun to watch them for sure.  

USC  2007
DE C. Matthews, K. Moore
DT S. Ellis
DT F. Moala, A. Spicer
DE L. Jackson, E. Griffen

LSU  2004
DE M. Spears, M. Oliver, T. Johnson
DT K. Williams, C. Wroten
DT G. Dorsey, M. Favorite
DE C. Pittman, T. Jackson

Nebraska  1997
DE G. Winstrom
DT J. Peters
DT J. Wiltz, C. Warren
DE M. Rucker, Vanden Bosch

NC State 2005
DE M. Williams, L. Wright
DT D. Pressley, A. Cash
DT J. McCargo, D. Tyler
DE M. Lawson, W. Young

Miami 2001 
DE J. McDougle
DT V. Wilfork, M. Waters
DT W. Joseph, O. Harris
DE A. Williams, T. Carroll

Florida  2006 
DE Harvey, Estopinan
DT M .Thomas, J. Cohen
DT R. McDonald, S. Harris
DE J. Moss, J. Cunningham

Florida State 1997 
DE D. Warren, Seymour
DT C. Simon
DT L. Smith, J. Johnson
DE G. Spiers, J. Reynolds

UNC 2009
DE R. Quinn, Q. Coples
DT M. Austin
DT C. Thomas, T. Powell
DE EJ. Wilson, M. McAdoo

Tennessee   1999 
DE Overstreet, O. Hand
DT J. Henderson, R. Moore
DT D. Walker, A. Haynesworth
DE S. Ellis

Oklahoma 2002 
DE D. Cody
DT D. Dvoracek
DT T. Harris, K. Klein
DE J. Wilkerson

Penn State 1999 
DE C. Brown
DT A. Adams
DT J. Kennedy
DE J. Kurpeikis, M. Haynes

Texas 2000
DE Redding
DT Hampton
DT S. Rogers, M. Tubbs
DE Pittman

UNC 2001 
DE J. Peppers
DT R. Sims
DT E. Davis
DE J. Evans, J. Dumas

Georgia 1998 
DE D. Evans
DT Seymour
DT Stroud, 
DE Luckie

5 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

All 4 could be 1st round picks, easily.

Name other defensive lines with that much talent.

So, you call them the best ever because of their potential draft position?  Where were they during the Alabama game this playoff which was the biggest game on the biggest stage? Weren't they supposed to take the game over if they were so great? Look man, they are a good line on paper, but they are going to do way more for me to call them the greatest ever hoss. Im sorry, I don't judge greatness based off draft potential, I judge of sheer domination and playing big on the big stage. 

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:
Completely agree, anyone that does not think so does not know the recent history well.  Especially if one looks specifically at true 4/3 teams not including specialty 3/4 OLB pass rushers.  Clemson having Ferrell and Wilkins both come back is unheard of this day and age.  All three are for sure first round picks with Lawrence, and Bryant could become one as well.  Here are some of the fine DL groups over the years I can remember, a lot of solid groups but few have that much elite talent as Clemson will especially if one just looks at the starting four.  Depth wise could argue with a few other groups having more but will see, sure Clemson will find some more that will play well next year also.   Ferrell and Wilkins I had as potentially high 1st round picks, both of them and just that alone few go back to school being projected that high, kind of cool and will be fun to watch them for sure.  

USC  2007
DE C. Matthews, K. Moore
DT S. Ellis
DT F. Moala, A. Spicer
DE L. Jackson, E. Griffen

LSU  2004
DE M. Spears, M. Oliver, T. Johnson
DT K. Williams, C. Wroten
DT G. Dorsey, M. Favorite
DE C. Pittman, T. Jackson

Nebraska  1997
DE G. Winstrom
DT J. Peters
DT J. Wiltz, C. Warren
DE M. Rucker, Vanden Bosch

NC State 2005
DE M. Williams, L. Wright
DT D. Pressley, A. Cash
DT J. McCargo, D. Tyler
DE M. Lawson, W. Young

Miami 2001 
DE J. McDougle
DT V. Wilfork, M. Waters
DT W. Joseph, O. Harris
DE A. Williams, T. Carroll

Florida  2006 
DE Harvey, Estopinan
DT M .Thomas, J. Cohen
DT R. McDonald, S. Harris
DE J. Moss, J. Cunningham

Florida State 1997 
DE D. Warren, Seymour
DT C. Simon
DT L. Smith, J. Johnson
DE G. Spiers, J. Reynolds

UNC 2009
DE R. Quinn, Q. Coples
DT M. Austin
DT C. Thomas, T. Powell
DE EJ. Wilson, M. McAdoo

Tennessee   1999 
DE Overstreet, O. Hand
DT J. Henderson, R. Moore
DT D. Walker, A. Haynesworth
DE S. Ellis

Oklahoma 2002 
DE D. Cody
DT D. Dvoracek
DT T. Harris, K. Klein
DE J. Wilkerson

Penn State 1999 
DE C. Brown
DT A. Adams
DT J. Kennedy
DE J. Kurpeikis, M. Haynes

Texas 2000
DE Redding
DT Hampton
DT S. Rogers, M. Tubbs
DE Pittman

UNC 2001 
DE J. Peppers
DT R. Sims
DT E. Davis
DE J. Evans, J. Dumas

Georgia 1998 
DE D. Evans
DT Seymour
DT Stroud, 
DE Luckie

Great work,  I was going to list a few that you have on there too but didn't feel like it. And you forgot Andre Wadsworth off the 97 FSU group.

Those are some tough groups 

Also 2014 OSU

J.Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Michael Bennett, Noah Spence 

38 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Great work,  I was going to list a few that you have on there too but didn't feel like it. And you forgot Andre Wadsworth off the 97 FSU group.

Those are some tough groups 

Also 2014 OSU

J.Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Michael Bennett, Noah Spence 

True I did forget Wadsworth, sadly almost all of those guys on that FSU line were not that great in the NFL outside of Simon.  Ohio State with Bosa could be added but really take Bosa off that group it is not all that impressive.  Could argue their DL this past year is better than that one in 2014.  

And if one was including 3/4 teams, specifically Alabama could maybe include these two groups arguably.  Both had very strong and solid 3/4 OLBs who are basically a DE for the most part.

Alabama 2010
DE C. Upshaw
DT M. Dareus, J. Chapman
DT E. Stinson
DE D. Hightower, D. Square,

Alabama 2015
DE DJ. Pettway, T. Williams
DT J. Allen, D. Tomlinson
DT J. Reed, A. Robinson
DE R. Anderson

Still Clemson has a crazy amount of talent with those four coming back and if they improve on what they did last year as players they have potential to be one of the best.  But sure they do have to prove it on the field.  Against Alabama it was hard this year because obviously that Clemson offense was way overrated and that Clemson D was put on the field a lot and the offense did not put them in a position to succeed much in that game.  Having two DTs like that on one team is extremely rare obviously, right up there potentially with Seymour and Stroud, Hampton and Rogers, and Henderson and Haynesworth.  So rare to have two so good, not to mention the DEs are top of the line especially Ferrell and Bryant played right up there with him at times this past year.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So, you call them the best ever because of their potential draft position?  Where were they during the Alabama game this playoff which was the biggest game on the biggest stage? Weren't they supposed to take the game over if they were so great? Look man, they are a good line on paper, but they are going to do way more for me to call them the greatest ever hoss. Im sorry, I don't judge greatness based off draft potential, I judge of sheer domination and playing big on the big stage. 

Did you not watch the game?  Alabama's offense was awful.  They won because Clemson's offense was even more pathetic.  Alabama had 261 total yards (only 3.4 YPC on 42 carries).  They had 3 scoring drives, and both TDs were set up by great field position (both drives started on the plus side of the 50-27 and 46 yard drives) due to Kelly Bryant.  Not much they could have done, outside of scoring themselves. 

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

"has to be considered maybe the best college DL of all time"

Archived