Staying or Going - The 2018 Early Entry or Not Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 1/11/2018 at 12:39 AM, BleedTheClock said:

So Jerome Baker declared, huh? I think he's a 1st rounder. He's going to time extremely well in all aspects and his tape is solid against the run, excellent against the pass. For those of you who like Roquan Smith, you'll love Jerome Baker. Smith is a more sure-fire tackler and has better pacing and discipline, but Jerome Baker is a little faster, a little better at shedding blocks, and based on my eye test, has more length to play against TE's and bigger slot WR's. Baker has more of an ILB mentality, but both should be played at WLB in the NFL.

I think Roquan gets taken in the middle of the 1st and Baker gets taken in the early-mid 20's. Those are 2 of the best cover LB's you'll ever find in the draft.

He was pretty awful against the pass this year to be honest and clearly took a step back from 2016. Ohio State's LB pass coverage was somewhat of a weakness this season, but Baker was the biggest offender. 

I never go full homer with Ohio State guys but I'd have a hard time picking Baker anywhere before the early 3rd round. The potential is there, but he did not play like a first round pick this season and even he's mentioned that several times. He'll test well for sure though. 

4 hours ago, BRANDON26841X said:

He was pretty awful against the pass this year to be honest and clearly took a step back from 2016. Ohio State's LB pass coverage was somewhat of a weakness this season, but Baker was the biggest offender. 

I never go full homer with Ohio State guys but I'd have a hard time picking Baker anywhere before the early 3rd round. The potential is there, but he did not play like a first round pick this season and even he's mentioned that several times. He'll test well for sure though. 

I wouldn't say he was awful, you have to ask yourself how could he be so good the year before then not so good this year. There was an adjustment period from the teaching from Luke Fickell (Who was the best LB coach I've seen with my own two eyes, and Bill Davis). The tutelage a player receives plays a big part in the development of a player, if you pay attention, every linebacker that played last year regressed, remember Bill Davis came straight from the NFL where the RPO is not prevalent, all of our LBs were getting exposed when teams went to an RPO until late. Look at the Oklahoma game last year, Baker was fantastic, this year he was lost, that was due to what Davis taught him, the reads are totally different. You putting him in the 3rd is pretty harsh, I guarantee these scouts will do the leg work and find out the same thing.The talent is there, and he is going to kill the combine and I see him as a Deion Jones type of backer.

7 hours ago, BRANDON26841X said:

Hmmm I saw him make a ton of plays disrupting passing lanes in underneath zone. I must need to watch more tape of him, but I’ve seen 80% of OSU games live. Maybe a formal evaluation is needed where I only watch Baker. But in terms of flashing, he does it consistently and flashed ability to stuff the run, rush the passer, stack and shed offensive lineman, and make plays on the football in the passing game.

Hasnt scratched the surface of what he can be yet. I’m still betting he goes in the 1st.

3 hours ago, PAW said:

More and more smoke that Bryant, Ferrell, and Wilkins are all returning to Clemson. 

Bryant, Ferrell, and Kendall Jospeph are officially returning. Wilkins is still torn and hasn't made a decision. I'm shocked Ferrell is coming back. Happy as a fan, but if he was my kid I would've made sure he left. He was dominant and a first round lock. 

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

I've seen Wilkins mocked to the Browns at 4.

I'd take it I LOVE WILKINS

Most underrated player in the draft

we're pretty loaded at DT honestly, but if we took one Wilkins would be my pick 

So explosive, great with his hands, and fantastic motor when rushing the QB 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I'd take it I LOVE WILKINS

Most underrated player in the draft

we're pretty loaded at DT honestly, but if we took one Wilkins would be my pick 

So explosive, great with his hands, and fantastic motor when rushing the QB 

You will have to wait until next year.  He is officially returning.

Archived