No Early QB Mock 2021

Madmike90

Free Agents

C…Austin Reiter…6-3” 300lbs…

I think it is fairly clear that we will draft an offensive linemen early in this years draft…I suspect a tackle prospect to replace Leno or Ifedi with Wilkinson as the swing tackle…Daniels will return to play guard along with Whitehair…Bars will back up at guard…which leaves centre as our worst OL position…I was impressed with Mustipher’s play at centre last season and think he deserves a shot at starting longer term…that said bringing in an experienced backup can’t hurt…Reiter was with the Chiefs for 3 seasons and was a steady hand…his knowledge of a similar system could really help if he is asked to start in a tight spot…should be given no more than vet min.

S…Kenny Vaccaro…6-0” 215lbs…

Tashaun Gipson was a good starter for us last season bringing a steady presence to the backfield but the one thing he didn’t offer was the ability to allow Eddie Jackson to play as a true deep centrefielder who can cover ground and make plays against the pass more so than anything else…Vaccaro is the exact in the box safety that can play down at the LOS and take that pressure off Jackson in the run game…interest in Vaccaro has seemed limited so I would suspect we could pay him around the same as we did Gipson this year.

Draft…

Bears trade #20 to Browns for #26 & #89…the Browns will want to find the last few missing pieces to finally win the AFC North this season…we gain a bit more flexibility by moving down a little and picking up the 3rd round pick.

Round 1 (#26)… 

OT…Alex Leatherwood…6-5” 313lbs…Alabama…

For Pace & Nagy this draft has to be all about giving Dalton as much help as possible to try and get something going on offence…for me this draft is all about setting up the 2022 draft…what I mean by that is that I feel we will have a new GM & HC by then who will be picking a QB highly…doing both is possible and making any QB comfortable wither that is a vet or a rookie is to find a capable left tackle…some doubt Leatherwood’s ability to stick on the left side as a pro but I struggle to see why…Leatherwood has prototype size and length for the position, he shows the athletic ability to hang on the outside on film and excelled at his pro day with a 4.96 forty, 34 1/2 “ vertical and 9’10” broad jump…those are elite numbers for any linemen…Leatherwood shows refinement in his pass pro and has protected the blindside of 3 elite QB prospects in Hurts, Tua & Mac Jones…understanding the importance of keeping the “franchise” QB up right has never been lost on Leatherwood…he would also present a major upgrade in terms of running blocking from Leno on the left side where he uses leverage and pure power to move defenders in the hole…at Bama he has shown the versatility to play straight up power or in more of a zone scheme…Leatherwood also brings excellent experience having started 40 games at Bama at three different positions so if he can’t hand on the left side he would make an excellent right take or even guard down the line…what keeps Leatherwood from going higher is that he is pretty much so the finished article who might not have the highest of upsides and that he isn’t a natural finisher when it comes to blocking…that said if he comes in and plays the way he has a Bama then we have found a building block for the next 10 years upfront.

Round 2 (#39)…  

Bears trade #52 + #89 to Carolina for pick #39…to get the kind of impact players we need Pace is going to have to be aggressive and willing to move around in the draft…moving up to catch a falling playmaker makes a lot of sense.

WR…Terrence Marshall Jr…6-3” 200lbs…LSU…

The next step in helping Dalton this season and a rookie next is finding another outside weapon…Robinson is an excellent #1 WR who makes a QB’s job easier as he is excellent making contested catches and is happy to work the middle of the field…Mooney was excellent in year one and showed he could be a quality complimentary player who can be used in multiple ways…what we are lacking though is that #3 WR threat that all quality NFL offences need in today’s NFL…here I have us moving up in the draft to catch one of the falling WRs…I project this to be Rondale Moore, Elijah Moore, Rashod Bateman or in this case Terrence Marshall Jr…with an intriguing mix of height, length and speed Marshall is a real matchup nightmare who has lined up mostly in the slot for LSU and even though he has been overshadowed by even better talents during his career he has shown plenty of upside on his own…Marshall won’t be limited to a specific scheme and I can’t think of an offensive coordinator who wouldn’t value a 6-3” receiver with 4.3 speed…for me he is a better version of another former LSU WR D.J Chark who has been a bright spot for the Jags over the past two seasons because he brings added physicality…the knocks on Marshall will be he has never been a true #1 receiver and also faced less coverage than the likes of Jefferson or Chase so was an easy target to find…that will change in the NFL and he will also need to overcome being only 200lbs against more physical CBs who will jam him up at the LOS but for me he could be an explosive downfield threat that creates splash plays and opens things up for others underneath.

Round 3 (#84)…

CB…Robert Rochell…6-0” 190lbs…Central Arkansas…

After the frankly insane decision to release Kyle Fuller we must find a new talent at CB…throwing guys like Tabor, Robinson, Trufant and the guy who right now is probably the front runner Artie Burns just isn’t going to cut it as a #2 CB…so what do we need? Well Johnson shares a lot of the same traits Kyle Fuller did in terms of size, technique, toughness and instincts…what both lack is out and out athleticism…Rochell certainly doesn’t lack in that area as he is an elite athlete running in the high 4.3s to low 4.4s…he has a 43’1/2” vertical and an 11’1” broad jump…that in a package of prototype size and exceptional length with near 32’1/2” arms and Rochell knows how to use that length coming away with 11 INTs over the past two seasons and that with apposing QBs trying to stay away from him…against the run Rochell doesn’t offer anything like as much as Fuller did playing with far less aggression but he has the frame to become better if he takes the coaching on his technique and starts to bring his feet through the hit…that will be the big knock on Rochell along with the obvious level of competition questions but as many smaller school CB prospects have shown it is one position where guys can step up…a bit like Kindle Vildor showed as the season went on last year.

Bears trade WR Anthony Miller to Philly for #150…Philly are short on playmakers and the best thing for Miller would be to get a fresh start…5th round value is about the right value for the potential.

Round 5 (#150)…

TE…Kylen Granson…6-1” 240lbs…SMU…

In one of the biggest shocks of this offseason so far Jimmy Graham and his salary is still on the roster…Graham played well last year and if he does stay on the roster then he will continue to be a red zone threat…I like how Cole Kmet came on as the season went on last year and it is clear he will be the future at the TE spot…his overall game is strong and he can line up in the slot but if we can get him to be an inline TE then he becomes a really tough matchup for LBs…that means we are probably looking for a move TE…Granson comes with obvious limitations in terms of size and is more of a “big receiver” type which will put a lot of teams off and drop his value but as a receiving threat he has shown the ability to beat teams in a lot of different ways with 1,257 yards averaging 16.1 YPC and going for 14 TDs in the last two seasons…that production is backup by good athletic ability with Granson running a 4.6 forty and coming in with a 36.5” vertical…he has plenty of shake on his routes and is excellent after the catch…Granson’s versatility would be a real plus point for this roster overall.

Round 5 (#164)…

ILB…Drew Seers…6-1” 230lbs…Lindenwood…

Roquan Smith continued to excel last season and is an out and out star on this defence…outside of him returning fully healthy there are a number of question marks…Danny T is a ticking timebomb in terms of health and he is clearly slowing down…Jones & Iggy are replacement level talents who are core special teamers more than anything else…so finding a new talent who could develop into a starter is a much bigger need than most will think…Seers is a small school guy but is uber productive tackler who had 175 tackles in 2019…that’s an average of almost 13.5 tackles per game…17 of which were TFL…2 sacks and possibly most impressively and importantly for making the jump to the NFL 3 INTs and 10 PBUs…that ability to play both the run and the pass equally well is key…his work ethic is lauded by coaches and with better coaching and improvements in facilities such as the weight room this guy could be a steal…I guess the best complement I can give him is watching him on film I see a clone of Joe Schobert who has become an excellent ILB in the NFL.

Round 6 (#204)… 

S…Paris Ford…6-0” 190lbs…Pittsburgh…

If we can sign Vaccaro and pair him with Jackson I think that will be one of the better pairings in the NFL but if Vaccaro plays well on the 1 year deal we would get him on then there is a strong chance he would move on next offseason…that means we are back to looking for a compliment and developing someone is always a better move than signing vets…Bush is a solid depth guy but I feel we badly need to bring in competition for him as that 3rd safety…Ford is an excellent football player who was very productive at Pitt…he bring good size and versatility and has shown a knack for taking the ball away…so why is he available in the 6th round? Well at his pro day he ran a 4.9 forty…that kind of time for a DB kills your stock…but you put on the tape and he clearly plays far faster…I guess this is in some ways a more extreme version of another guy on the Bears roster Teez Tabor who ran a 4.77 and dropped from a potential top 10 pick to a 2nd rounder….for a 6th he is well worth the risk.

Round 6 (#208)…

NT…Tedarrell Slaton…6-4” 330lbs…Florida…

The DL is much like the ILB spot in that it is in need of a infusion of youth and depth…Goldman coming back is clearly a massive plus point for this DL as he is excellent on the nose for us…Nichols really came along well last season and looks like a quality starter moving forward…Edwards plays his role well and clearly they have some hopes for Blackson but I doubt he is a long term starter…that leave Hicks who was given permission to seek a trade this offseason and is getting older & more injury prone…take him out that DL and suddenly there are a few more question marks so adding some similar size who can come in and play on the nose or even as a base DE allowing Goldman to move around a bit would be a really solid move…Slaton is a good athlete for his size who holds the point of attack well…he will keep our ILBs clean and occasionally win as a rusher using his power…he could last this long because he presents no 3rd down value.

Round 6 (#221)…

QB...Brady White...6-1" 210lbs...Memphis...

So it’s not Russell Wilson or even Mac Jones…it’s a 6th rounder who would come in and sit behind Dalton and potentially Foles if we can’t trade him away…White is not a high ceiling type of prospect with a lack of arm strength and athletic upside…but he is highly intelligent, accurate and productive…White will probably never be a long term starter in the NFL but as a Chase Daniel’s type he could make a career for himself.

Round 6 (#228)…

WR/KR…Jeremiah Haydel…5-11” 183lbs…Texas State…

Losing Patterson is a big blow in the return game and as much as we have guys capable of returning kicks most of them have bigger roles to fill on the team so enter Haydel who averaged 13 yards per return of punts which was good for 7th in the nation last year…and just over 25 yards per return as a kick returner good for 26th in the nation…Hayel has some…his size and top end speed reminds me a little of a poor man’s Johnny Knox.

Depth Chart…

QB…Andy Dalton…Mitch Trubisky…Brady White

RB…David Montgomery…Damien Williams…Tarik Cohen

FB…J.P Holtz

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Terrence Marshall Jr…Riley Ridley

WR…Darnell Mooney…Jeremiah Haydel

TE…Jimmy Graham...Cole Kmet…Kylen Granson

LT…Alex Leatherwood…Elijah Wilkinson

LG…James Daniels…Alex Bars

C…Sam Mustipher…Austin Reiter

RG…Cody Whitehair

RT…Germain Ifedi

LE…Akiem Hicks…Angelo Blackson

NT…Eddie Goldman…Tedarrell Slaton

RE…Bilal Nichols…Mario Edwards Jr.

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Trevis Gipson

ILB…Roquan Smith…Drew Seers

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Christian Jones…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Robert Quinn…Jeremiah Attaochu

NB…Kindle Vildor…Duke Shelley                

CB…Jaylon Johnson…Artie Burns

CB…Robert Rochell…Desmond Trufant

SS…Kenny Vaccaro…Deon Bush

FS…Eddie Jackson…Paris Ford…Deandre Houston-Carson                   

P…Pat O’Donnell

K…Cairo Santos

LS…Patrick Scales

I think this likely gets everyone fired, as realistic as I think it is.

At some point they are going to be 4-7 and Dalton will be totally “meh” and they will need to make a change and show some hope for the future.

This is why I think at some point in the first 3 picks they will take a QB. Because when they are missing the playoffs there has to be another narrative.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think this likely gets everyone fired, as realistic as I think it is.

At some point they are going to be 4-7 and Dalton will be totally “meh” and they will need to make a change and show some hope for the future.

This is why I think at some point in the first 3 picks they will take a QB. Because when they are missing the playoffs there has to be another narrative.

Anything other than a playoff win and everyone gets fired...I don't see that win happening right now...ownership should be stepping in and saying Dalton is the guy...make it work or your out.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Anything other than a playoff win and everyone gets fired...I don't see that win happening right now...ownership should be stepping in and saying Dalton is the guy...make it work or your out.

George McCaskey is warming his moms tea, he isn’t telling Pace anything.

We know this team isn’t good enough to do anything with Dalton. They backed into the playoffs last year with an easier schedule. They have done little to nothing to improve.

Even a Jalen Hurts level rookie QB performance probably buys them a year to see what the rookie does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

😂 was working off an old template...truth be told I would be much happier with Trubisky for $2.5 million than Foles right now 😂

Just like Pace would've been better off keeping Cutler around then guaranteeing Glennon $18 mil.  But when he's done with you he's really done with you hang the consequences.  He must have one drawer full of noses one full of spares because he cuts them off so often.  🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it is fairly clear that we will draft an offensive linemen early in this years draft…

Clear?

To us, yeah, the need is clear. With Pace? There might be a good cornerback just waiting there, having fallen all the way to #20. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it is fairly clear that we will draft an offensive linemen early in this years draft

Honestly I’m not convinced we will, as much as we should. Pace and Nagy need to add guys to contribute in 2021 early in the draft. Unless they’re cutting Leno (many of you would do so right now in a cocaine heartbeat, but Pace won’t), I don’t see a place for a 1st round rookie OT. Where’s he starting? Leatherwood or Jenkins or a few others are all in that range and should start if they’re the pick, but Pace just gave Ifedi $4.25M on a 1-year deal in a cap space strapped offseason while cutting a really good player in Kyle Fuller as a direct consequence of that financial allocation. That suggests to me they’re expecting Ifedi to start somewhere, and I don’t see an opening on the interior OL now with Daniels and Whitehair presumed starting around Mustipher.

A first round OT is the move they should make. It doesn’t seem to me like it’s the one they will make. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

tenor.gif

Not at all...this franchise has been spinning it's wheels for years...Pace & Nagy either have to show they can make it happen with competent QB play which is what Dalton will give you or we need to look in another direction next offseason and by that I mean a new GM/HC/QB combination from scratch.

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly I’m not convinced we will, as much as we should. Pace and Nagy need to add guys to contribute in 2021 early in the draft. Unless they’re cutting Leno (many of you would do so right now in a cocaine heartbeat, but Pace won’t), I don’t see a place for a 1st round rookie OT. Where’s he starting? Leatherwood or Jenkins or a few others are all in that range and should start if they’re the pick, but Pace just gave Ifedi $4.25M on a 1-year deal in a cap space strapped offseason while cutting a really good player in Kyle Fuller as a direct consequence of that financial allocation. That suggests to me they’re expecting Ifedi to start somewhere, and I don’t see an opening on the interior OL now with Daniels and Whitehair presumed starting around Mustipher.

A first round OT is the move they should make. It doesn’t seem to me like it’s the one they will make. 

I think if we draft Leatherwood we cut Leno to pay for the draft class and he is a day one starter given his experience...drafting a CB in round 1 would be a very Pace like thing to do...it would also instantly get every fan up in arms that it wasn't an offensive player...has to be a QB/OT/WR IMO.