News/Info on current WFT Players

ARTMONK HOF

On 4/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, turtle28 said:

Reaves like Everrett are solid but not good starting safeties IMO. We can certainly get by with one of them being the starter but at the same time they could be upgraded.

I have some faith in Everett.  I really like him as a backup plug and play at either safety position.  He isn't an A player by any stretch, but he is underrated.

Reaves is an example of why those stats are silly.  We all saw him play.  He made some plays but he missed a lot too.

The funny thing about safety is it seems everyone is ready to jettison Apke.  Apke was basically drafted where he was because of testing- a fast 40 time.  The staff was supposedly also in love with him during training camp.  Almost everyone here thought that was ridiculous because he was always blowing his angles and assignments on game day.  We all turned out to be right.  So then what do we do this year...we drafted a slew of players because of testing.   The irony.  Did we just replace Apke with Apke 2.0?  But across the whole draft?

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I have some faith in Everett.  I really like him as a backup plug and play at either safety position.  He isn't an A player by any stretch, but he is underrated.

Reaves is an example of why those stats are silly.  We all saw him play.  He made some plays but he missed a lot too.

The funny thing about safety is it seems everyone is ready to jettison Apke.  Apke was basically drafted where he was because of testing- a fast 40 time.  The staff was supposedly also in love with him during training camp.  Almost everyone here thought that was ridiculous because he was always blowing his angles and assignments on game day.  We all turned out to be right.  So then what do we do this year...we drafted a slew of players because of testing.   The irony.  Did we just replace Apke with Apke 2.0?  But across the whole draft?

So yeah, I’m sorry I’m going to have to disagree with you here. Can you point me to somewhere that shows Reaves “missing things or bowing assignments?” I don’t remember it being a major problem, was he perfect? No, but it was the first time he started and he looked far better than Apke did as did Everett.

Office Space No GIF

As Apke showed time and time again from college & 3 years in the pros, his issue isn’t his physical ability, it’s that he’s just not good at awareness/recognition which is extremely important for a FS. I feel Apke would be a good SS but he doesn’t have the recognition to see plays develop. 

You know who Apke reminds me of? A smaller version of Laron Landry! Both have blazing speed & were great athletes but didn’t have the feel/recognition to be a FS.

If you watched Apke in college you’d see he didn’t have good awareness/recognition then and he still didn’t display that as a pro 3 years later.

Reaves, Everrett and Forrest on tape at Cincinnati show that they have a feel & the recognition to play FS. So, I don’t feel we drafted Apke 2.0, I think in drafting Forrest we drafted a more athletic version of Kamren Curl. Maybe that’s a high bar, but I like Forrest’s potential to be a starter.

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

We drafted two receivers. Brown and Milne. Ton of "guys" on the roster now .

Yep and I could see them signing UDFA LBs, CBs or DEs. I also could see them signing a few vets like a TE, a LT like Leno, a Fs like Boston or Hooker, a vet DE like Kerrigan or a vet a LB.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Can you point me to somewhere that shows Reaves “missing things or bowing assignments?”

Honestly I can't recall the exact games, but it wasn't once or twice.  He definitely got worked over more than a couple times.  He also made some spectacular plays.  I am not sold on him yet.  He just wasn't consistent.  

15 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Honestly I can't recall the exact games, but it wasn't once or twice.  He definitely got worked over more than a couple times.  He also made some spectacular plays.  I am not sold on him yet.  He just wasn't consistent.  

I agree with that, but I know this isn’t saying much but he & Everrett back there were probably the most consistent FS’s we’ve had since Sean Taylor besides Swearinger but he was more bark than bite. Landry had his moments especially when Gregg Williams used to play him real deep in 2007 & 08 so things would be in front of him and he could break on the ball and make hits, break up passes and get a few ints every year. Landry was best at SS, we all knew that or even a WLB type.

Goldson was ok in 2015 & so was Swearinger but they blew assignments and made mistakes too even as veterans.