Raiders release DT Maurice Hurst and DE Arden Key

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

that's quite the qualifier

Especially considering his "best" was last seen on November 30, 2017....

Dude has barely played and has all of 8 tackles and a sack in coming up on 4 years  

At "his best", Desmond Bryant was a better DT than Hurst, and it's only been about a year longer layoff. Heck, he even showed it more times than Irving. Why don't we drag him out of semi-retirement? 

Sorry, I just can't help but laugh at the absurdity surrounding Irving. Dude had a little bit of a hot streak back when Carson Palmer was still starting a QB and the talk of the town was Peyton Manning's ride off into the sunset a few months prior. Hoping for him to even get close to his best is like still waiting on Case Keenum to beat out Baker Mayfield and take the Browns to the AFCCG "because at his best, years ago, he was absolute money and better than anything Mayfield has done".

It was years ago. Time to move on from trying to hype him up. 

8 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

I hope this is a sign we are in on Nixon or McNeill in the 2nd.

Nixon is going to be a real impact player in 18 months IMHO would love it if we got him in the second (after trading down in the 1st and filling FS and RT) 😁

• Like 1

Key was never making the team, should've been released years ago.  He was an overhyped DE in the media but was never anything more then a 3rd rounder before the off field issues. 

Hurst I liked but I still had an early 3rd round grade on him. Thought he was undersized and lacked atheltisum for the position to be a full time DT.  He's a really good rotational and 3rd down pass rusher and I would've personally kept him.  But the writing was on the wall when we signed so many DTs. 

We definitely don't need anymore 3tecs though we have enough.  Would like a late 2nd or 3rd day edge to a developmental guy, replace Nassib next year.  Deep edge class for me.

Really makes you think with Hurst's release of all the resources we've sunk into DT and none have even been regular starters (for us);

Hurst, Hall, Vanderdoes, Edwards, Ward, Harris, McGee, Crawford, Houston probably a couple more too I forget..... You'd think just by random chance we'd have stumbled onto someone. I really liked some of those guys like Hall, Vanderdoes and Harris after we drafted them.

Roderick Coleman in '99 was probably the last very good player we drafted at DT that played significantly for us.

Edited by Darbsk

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

This is Gus Bradley and all him. This move doesn't happen without him telling them that these two guys have no role on this team. 

I'm sure Rod was pounding the table to keep Irving and Bradley was pounding the table to keep Philon. And then we just gave Jefferson and Thomas pretty decent 1 year deals as well. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Hurst, Hall, Vanderdoes

None of these 3 working out for us hurt, I had high hopes for all 3 guys. Hurst was a "1st round talent" until the heart issue at the combine. Hall was the "most athletic DT since Aaron Donald" and was a beast in college. And Vanderdoes was a guy that had first round hype before his injuries in college. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The inability of this franchise to draft and develop defense is absolutely incredible.

Outside Mack who is a transcendent player, the picks wasted on Dline and secondary over the last decade are staggering.

It's also pretty amazing that over the last two decades the only 3 DL we've spent 1st round picks on have been Ferrell, Mack, and Brayton. 

Also I think the only guys that are still on the roster from the Reggie/Gruden year are Kolton Miller, Brandon Parker, Jonathan Hankins, Denzel Good, Darren Waller, and Derrick Carrier. And the only guys from the Reggie era left on the roster are Derek Carr, Nick Morrow, Karl Joseph, and Jalen Richard. 

Edited by NYRaider

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Really makes you think with Hurst's release of all the resources we've sunk into DT and none have even been regular starters (for us);

Hurst, Hall, Vanderdoes, Edwards, Ward, Harris, McGee, Crawford, Houston probably a couple more too I forget..... You'd think just by random chance we'd have stumbled onto someone. I really liked some of those guys like Hall, Vanderdoes and Harris after we drafted them.

Roderick Coleman in '99 was probably the last very good player we drafted at DT that played significantly for us.

Tommy Kelly was pretty decent especially for an udfa, but your right

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

None of these 3 working out for us hurt, I had high hopes for all 3 guys. Hurst was a "1st round talent" until the heart issue at the combine. Hall was the "most athletic DT since Aaron Donald" and was a beast in college. And Vanderdoes was a guy that had first round hype before his injuries in college. 

I guess it depends what you mean by hurt. We effectively used a 2nd a 3rd and 5th for very little production, plus we spent a couple years being below average in the middle with Ellis only being mediocre so it did kind of hurt us from a playing production and drat capital perspective. I really thought Hall would at least be decent and Vanderdoes I think was scuppered by injuries and maybe being a little lazy.

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

Tommy Kelly was pretty decent especially for an udfa, but your right

Yeh, and Autry as an UDFA was pretty decent too. Also Des Bryant. Really wanted to keep Bryant, Autry and Harris so to see them play well elsewhere is frustrating when we replace them with players who don't improve the situation.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The inability of this franchise to draft and develop defense is absolutely incredible.

Outside Mack who is a transcendent player, the picks wasted on Dline and secondary over the last decade are staggering.

I've just gone through Pro Football Reference looking through our defensive rosters of the last ten years (highly recommended for a reality check) and quite frankly it's been laughable with Mack as the only real standout with Seymour and Grandad Woodson pretty good in their twilight years. I couldn't even remember half the scrubs we fielded over the years 😁😔

23 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I've just gone through Pro Football Reference looking through our defensive rosters of the last ten years (highly recommended for a reality check) and quite frankly it's been laughable with Mack as the only real standout with Seymour and Grandad Woodson pretty good in their twilight years. I couldn't even remember half the scrubs we fielded over the years 😁😔

I quit playing madden since a couple of years but now i'm playing madden 20 on pc with retro rosters. Starting from 2003 and up. So do a franchise for 1 year with all the 2003 rosters and after the season restart the franchise but with 2004 rosters, etc.

I dont sign any guys, just play with whoever Al has signed, but man what a roster turnover every year and every yearxa bunch of holes ...

It is fun playing against all the names from the past though.