Raiders release DT Maurice Hurst and DE Arden Key

RaidersAreOne

I have no problem with cutting Key & Hurst.

I do have a problem with the timing.

Key just isnt good enough and Hurst is very very mweh. Yes he shows flashes, but thats it. No issue with cutting them.

However i dont get the timing. I really liked the idea of bringing in a bunch of dliners, all with a story, and have them battle it out in TC. And if the new guys beat out Key & Hurst great. But to cut what you have before tc?

If they indeed save 4.5mio then it makes a bit more sense, but are mid round picks that costly that they cost 4.5 mio?

9 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Mo Hurst is Karl Joseph 2.0... another guy who always seemed to play better than how the coaches treated him (and he's a better player than Joseph was, at their respective positions). he's going to be good wherever he goes. really stupid move, imo

Hmmm not sure to be honest if he is going to be better somewhere else. I see Hurst as a poor mans Lamar Houston. Hurst every now and then looks nice and baits you in thinking this guy could be special/good but doesnt get you real results.

Houston was the same for me just at starters level always thinking he is going to blow up anyday now in a special player.

Dont get me wrong, on a ~$1 mio rookie deal you want Hurst on your roster (unless he really gets beat out in tc). 

41 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

This is Gus Bradley and all him. This move doesn't happen without him telling them that these two guys have no role on this team. 

This. Presumably Bradley has now had time to analyse who he has in the dline room and has judged that neither fit what he wants. I always saw Hurst as an undersized, in between the tackle type. I think that differs from the style he has typically used at DT.

Always liked Hurst and although it could be argued that he wasn’t ever trusted with a starting berth and perhaps that is unfair, he had ample opportunity over time and flashed at times, but hardly set the world alight. 

Like with so many positions - we have depth at DT, but no difference makers. Having Hurst here or not doesn’t shift the needle much any which way.

57 minutes ago, Roninho said:

If they indeed save 4.5mio then it makes a bit more sense, but are mid round picks that costly that they cost 4.5 mio?

https://frontofficenfl.com/2020/06/04/2020-nfl-cba-explained-proven-performance-escalator-ppe-in-rookie-contracts/

The PPE is now a three-level, non-negotiable amount in which a player’s base salary in the fourth year of his rookie contract increases if he meets certain predetermined thresholds.

Hurst, Key and Parker got a raise on year 4 because they reached those thresholds (playing time).