Who is actually a worthy Pick at 17?

Jeremy408

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

1-8 are a given.

9-14 Parsons, Farley, Surtain, Horn, Slater,  and Phillips

15-20 Paye, Rousseau, Barmore, JOK, Vera-Tucker, and Harris

I left out the #4 and 5 QB who are top 20 by positional value.  If we were running a different scheme other players would be more valuable like Collins.  Moehrig is a player I struggle with similar to Barmore but I think there is more value coming after him at the safety position.  I would not be angry with the pick.  

I wouldn’t be mad at Barmore either but I would prefer that we go with the guys we signed at that position and see which one of them sticks. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

At 17, my feeling is there will be better players at LB, CB or edge rusher available. Taking Moehrig over a selected few there would be bad value in my eyes.  

I rank him 2 behind Holland personally who I feel you can get at 48. I wouldn't hate taking Moehrig because he's a good looking player. But not over guys like Parsons, JOK, Ojulari, etc. Trading back and drafting a FS feels more ideal if that's the position you want.

I do think value is subjective. And I do think the scarcity of good players at his position in the NFL makes him more valuable. But fair enough.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I do think value is subjective. And I do think the scarcity of good players at his position in the NFL makes him more valuable. But fair enough.

I think if you're taking Moehrig who is a 2nd round talent at 17, it's desperate. More so when your team lacks at several spots on defense.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think if you're taking Moehrig who is a 2nd round talent at 17, it's desperate. More so when your team lacks at several spots on defense.

No I'm not a huge Moehrig fan myself(Nor am I a fan of any safety this year in the first round). But I think it depends on what the team thinks of the player. Like if Gus Bradley thinks the safety is a first round talent and thats why they draft him, I'm good with it. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I wouldn’t be mad at Barmore either but I would prefer that we go with the guys we signed at that position and see which one of them sticks. 

I could say the same thing about safety.  I do not think we have a good solution but we have Heath and Joseph signed so lets see if either can make it work.  That was my point about the holes on the team.  We may not have huge holes but we have positions filled with enough question mark players that I do not fill comfortable going into the season with what we have.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I could say the same thing about safety.  I do not think we have a good solution but we have Heath and Joseph signed so lets see if either can make it work.  That was my point about the holes on the team.  We may not have huge holes but we have positions filled with enough question mark players that I do not fill comfortable going into the season with what we have.

I personally like Joseph think that he's been used wrong his whole career(Regardless of what team he's played on). I think Heath is a good back up as a single high safety but not a starter. If we didn't draft a safety I wouldn't be necessarily mad depending on who they get instead. 

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Kinlaw was my choice last year to go with Jefferson and we would not have such an issue this year.  Draft Farley, Surtain, Horn, or one of the speed WRs if they fall to us.  All would be worth the 17th pick.

Ngakoue - Hankins - Kinlaw - Ferrell

The way he played as a rookie, he would already be called a bust around here.

9 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I guess that's your opinion but that's far from the consensus.

The consensus here or in general?

Here... I think people are so desperate for RT/FS they are elevating Jenkins/Moehrig higher than they should be. But yes, just my opinion. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

The consensus here or in general?

Here... I think people are so desperate for RT/FS they are elevating Jenkins/Moehrig higher than they should be. But yes, just my opinion. 

Not here, from draft sources. From 4 sources i regularly look at, his worst prospect ranking is 27 (highest is 17).

24 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Not here, from draft sources. From 4 sources i regularly look at, his worst prospect ranking is 27 (highest is 17).

I would be fine trading back and drafting him in the mid-late 20's. 17 straight up over players I feel have a chance to be special, it would feel very on brand. 

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

The way he played as a rookie, he would already be called a bust around here.

I think there is more than a couple around here that understand certain positions will on average take a year or 3 to start producing.  

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I would be fine trading back and drafting him in the mid-late 20's. 17 straight up over players I feel have a chance to be special, it would feel very on brand. 

I think the general consensus is that a trade back is the way to go.  Unless someone drops of course. Not a big difference between 13 and early 2nd.  The positions we need are more likely to have better value after 17 also.  Which players at #17 do you think can be special?  I believe you have talked about Paye a bit.

• Like 1