What if the Falcons go QB at 4?

MKnight82

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Assume the Falcons take a QB at 4.  Would you be interested in trading for Matt Ryan?  If so what would you be willing to give up?

I'd also assume it would be Trey Lance, and thus, they wouldn't trade Ryan this year. Even if it's Fields, I also think they wouldn't. 

7 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Did I miss the boat on Matt Ryan? I thought that team has much bigger issues than the QB play. Last year was pretty meh I know but still.

Which is funny in a way because his meh would be one of the best seasons for a WFT QB ever. 

• Like 1

He’s 36. He doesn’t rely on arm strength or athletic ability and QBs are now playing into their early 40s. I have no idea why the falcons would create a problem at the toughest position to solve when they could build their defense that was horrible? Arthur Smith is going to help that offense immensely. Ultimately I think they’ll take Kyle Pitts though which I think is even sillier. 

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s 36. He doesn’t rely on arm strength or athletic ability and QBs are now playing into their early 40s. I have no idea why the falcons would create a problem at the toughest position to solve when they could build their defense that was horrible? Arthur Smith is going to help that offense immensely. Ultimately I think they’ll take Kyle Pitts though which I think is even sillier. 

Well- I gotta hear this one . WHY is Pitts silly at pick 4. He's been called by that word like our pick last year . GENERATIONAL !

• Like 1

I would trade for him, but probably not at the price they’d require. They just restructured him in March, so it’s become even more difficult to trade him than it was before. They’re looking at somewhere in the ballpark of $70M dead cap if they trade him this offseason — even if they treat it as a June 1 move, in which case they’d save $2M on this year’s cap, there will be $40M of dead cap weighing them down next season. 

Given that kind of monster cap damage for them, I think it would take a truckload of assets to make it worth their while. I would probably do a Stafford type deal for him, based on his ability and what we’d be paying him (pretty affordable), but I don’t know that a return like that would be worth enough to justify them crushing their 2022 cap. Maybe it would. 

I have always thought (and continue to think) that there’s a fair chance they will take Fields if he’s still there. How often do you get the chance to take a hometown kid with that kind of talent when your long-term franchise QB is entering his late 30s and clearly starting to slow down? If they wait, they could easily find themselves in the same position we are in after last season — with an excellent talent (like Pitts or Sewell) but no clear way to land the franchise QB that could change everything. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mar29020 said:

betting ryan wouldnt be available until next off season

This. Just like with Jimmy G, both the 49ers & Falcons are going to go with their vets for at least one ore year until they feel their rookie has developed enough where he is ready to take the reigns and hopefully be their franchises long term answer.

5 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

His meh seasons were literally Kirk Cousins seasons.

Yeah, Matt Ryan hasn’t thrown for under 4,000 yards in a decade or since 2010 when he was in his 3rd season but, he still threw for 28 TDs that year.

He does get a lot of help throwing to arguably the best WR of his generation- Julio Jones - but still, Matt Ryan doesn’t get enough respect. 

With better coaching & blocking he would’ve won a Super Bowl in 2017 and it’s both Matt Ryan’s fault the defenses in Atl have rarely been better than average so he had a better chance of winning in the playoffs.