Draft Prospects you like (for the Browns); Ones you don't

MWil23

Now that we are 8 days away from the draft, I thought it would be fun to more or less put together a board of guys that you'd like the Browns to draft vs. the ones that you don't, regardless of the round projection. Note, these are guys that have potential of even being available when the Browns pick, so if they're Top 10-15 locks, I'm not counting them. I'll start:

QB: Sam Ehlinger, Texas. While he regressed last year, they had an OC change in a COVID year, and while his measurables are average, I think he could have some value in a backup role and would be a good combination of being a plus athlete with some short range accuracy and cerebral value.

RB: Trey Sermon, Ohio State. He continued to play better and better down the stretch, and while he lacks any true "elite" measurable, he's a good ZBS style RB and has value out of the backfield.

WR: Elijah Moore (Ole Miss), Tylan Wallace (OK State), Terrance Marshall (LSU), Kadarius Toney (Florida), Rondale Moore (Purdue), Nico Collins (UM). Basically, some of these guys are pure outside receivers, some are burners, and some are more "well rounded". I think that this draft is deep in the WR position

TE: Brevin Jordan, The U and Nick Eubanks, UM: Brevin is my darkhorse candidate to explode at the position and there's a lot to like. Eubanks will likely be utilized more as a blocking type TE, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being pretty solid

OL: Josh Myers, C Ohio State, Landon Dickerson, Alabama, and Kendrick Green, Illinois. Myers has a lot of value in a ZBS as a C and potential swing OG, and Dickerson would be a Top 25 lock if not for that ACL tear late this past season. Green is very explosive and raw, but he'd be a nice OG going forward.

EDGE: Rousseau, the U, Paye, UM. I don't have Jaelen Phillips on my board for the first 2 rounds due to concussion history and his fake college retirement. Rousseau I think is criminally underrated, and Paye has the prototypical size and explosiveness to warrant a selection as well

Interior DL: Barmore, Alabama, Togiai, Ohio State. There are a few others I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on, like Marvin Wilson from FSU (underwhelmed his last couple years there), but I think Togiai is the "safest" prospect R3 or later who will be available. I've been outspoken in my support of Barmore too, as he's explosive and lives in the backfield.

LB: Collins, Tulsa, Werner, Ohio State, Jabril Cox, LSU, Dylan Moses, Alabama, Chazz Surratt, North Carolina, Baron Browning, Ohio State. Browning I wouldn't touch before pick 60 personally, as I've been outspoken of. Some of you may ask where JOK is, and that's simply because I view him as a tweener and bad value in the first round. He's the type of guy I'd love to have, but I think that a guy like Ronnie Harrison will very much do what he will at the next level. Werner is my "safest" pick, and I haven't seen the kid from UK play at all.

CB: Farley, Va Tech, Horn, South Carolina, Samuel, Florida State, Newsome, Northwestern, Melifonwu, Syracuse, Eric Stokes, UGA. Notably absent is Kelvin Joseph, who is a roller coaster on film and off the field as well.

S: Jamar Johnson, Indiana, Jevon Holland, Oregon, and Shaun Wade, Ohio State. I have Wade and Holland as hybrid S and nickel/slot guys, and Jamar Johnson as more of a true ballhawk FS

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I might be the only guy who likes Azeez Ojulari for us. It’s just based on what I think our scheme is trying to become.

I absolutely love his play style and motor, but his lack of size for an EDGE guy concerns me. He's still young and has some room to grow though.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I might be the only guy who likes Azeez Ojulari for us. It’s just based on what I think our scheme is trying to become.

If we go DE, I think Ojulari is about the best of the bunch in terms of upside, production, durability, etc. I think we would have him be our RE and shift Myles over to LE eventually. Given our acquisition of Clowney and Takk, we likely would be able to isolate Ojulari's role for the first year to let him develop before being thrown into a full-time starting role.

• Like 1

I like Ojulari better than Rousseau, so you're not alone @candyman93.

Ojulari just looks freakish out there in some of his film.  Like @MWil23 said, I wish he were a little bigger.

Rousseau had a great 2019, but some of his sacks were relatively unblocked.  He sat out last year.  He is bigger now than his playing weight and didn't test very well at his pro day.  I'm just not feeling it with him.

Neither one of them are great against the run.  I don't love either one of them for our 1st rounder but would prefer Ojulari.  Admittedly, I've seen more of Ojulari than I have of Rousseau.

• Like 2

I want no parts of Azeez Ojulari, undersized (6'2 249), and is an above average athlete who isn't the as explosive as I would like for a guy his size. On top of that, film wise, he only has one move, and the majority of the plays he made were off of terrible OTs or missed assignments. 

All you need to do is google Azeez Ojulari vs Alabama, the one big play came off of a missed assignment, the rest, speaks for itself, then google him vs Cincinnati, before James Hudson got ejected, he did little to nothing, then when the backup came in, he went to town on a guy who shouldn't be playing Division 1 football.

As hard a pass as humanly possible, this is not worth the 26th pick.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

7 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I like Ojulari better than Rousseau, so you're not alone @candyman93.

Ojulari just looks freakish out there in some of his film.  Like @MWil23 said, I wish he were a little bigger.

Also why I personally don't love JOK. I know a lot do, but I see him as a hybrid LB/S that isn't necessarily the "freak" I'd like compared to the production he's likely to have. I think we'd get comparable results with a guy like Werner in R2 or even Harrison now.

Rousseau had a great 2019, but some of his sacks were relatively unblocked.  He sat out last year.  He is bigger now than his playing weight and didn't test very well at his pro day.  I'm just not feeling it with him.

Yeah, I guess I'm more in the camp of willing to gamble on the upside late in R1, and I think that even if he "busts", he's going to still be solid. 

Neither one of them are great against the run.  I don't love either one of them for our 1st rounder but would prefer Ojulari.  Admittedly, I've seen more of Ojulari than I have of Rousseau.

My perfect world has us taking a stud CB here, but I think we may shock some folks and draft a WR. I just have a gut feeling.

3 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I agree with all that @MWil23. Good stuff.

I still haven't gotten used to going into a draft without needing 8-12 new starters.  I could get used to this.

LOL

It was nice going through the "big board" and immediately crossing off 15 names for once! :) 

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I want no parts of Azeez Ojulari, undersized (6'2 249), and is an above average athlete who isn't the as explosive as I would like for a guy his size. On top of that, film wise, he only has one move, and the majority of the plays he made were off of terrible OTs or missed assignments. 

To be fair, he's a VIOLENT edge setter and catapults himself into pulling guards vs. gap scheme competition. 

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

All you need to do is google Azeez Ojulari vs Alabama, the one big play came off of a missed assignment, the rest, speaks for itself, then google him vs Cincinnati, before James Hudson got ejected, he did little to nothing, then when the backup came in, he went to town on a guy who shouldn't be playing Division 1 football.

As hard a pass as humanly possible, this is not worth the 26th pick.

Guys I want no part of:

JOK: I think he's potentially going to be good, but the value isn't there to warrant a pick that high IMO. He's not a Mike. He's a hybrid, and hybrid's can be had/should be had after Day 1 unless they're the reincarnation of a healthy Derwin James

Oweh: Physical Freak without the production. I'm having Mingo flashbacks

Phillips: I love everything about him but the medical is a complete dealbreaker for me in the first 60 picks

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Guys I want no part of:

JOK: I think he's potentially going to be good, but the value isn't there to warrant a pick that high IMO. He's not a Mike. He's a hybrid, and hybrid's can be had/should be had after Day 1 unless they're the reincarnation of a healthy Derwin James

tenor.gif 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

tenor.gif 

This is the type of attitude we need. Boisterous hot takes and polarizing views. Just look at this lukewarm and semi-balanced take some schmuck wrote earlier today:

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like Ojulari as a pass rusher, but that’s about all he’s gonna do in this defense unless he tacks on a good bit of weight.

The Porter comp is good, and like Porter his best fit is in a 3-4 base.

I like him, I just don’t like him at 26 I guess.

• Like 1