Draft Prospects you like (for the Browns); Ones you don't

MWil23

@LETSGOBROWNIES for me, it boils down to this:

I'd rather take a guy at a premier/impact position like EDGE, CB, or even WR and then plug that "need" in for our hybrid position with an average to above average player than the opposite.

Plus, after watching Isaiah Simmons last year not have nearly the impact that he should have had, I'm reluctant to have a guy come in and immediately learn a couple of new positions simultaneously as a rookie.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is the type of attitude we need. Boisterous hot takes and polarizing views. Just look at this lukewarm and semi-balanced take some schmuck wrote earlier today:

😂 

I think JOK would be a perfect fit for what we want to do.  He’s big and physical enough to play at the second level consistently while also fast and explosive to play well in coverage.

What you call a tweener I call a perfect hybrid for a nickel and dime based defense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES for me, it boils down to this:

I'd rather take a guy at a premier/impact position like EDGE, CB, or even WR and then plug that "need" in for our hybrid position with an average to above average player than the opposite.

Plus, after watching Isaiah Simmons last year not have nearly the impact that he should have had, I'm reluctant to have a guy come in and immediately learn a couple of new positions simultaneously as a rookie.

I don’t think he’d really be learning a new position, he’d essentially be doing the same thing.

He wouldn’t be playing a true LB spot here.

Gotta side with MWil on this one.  Off-ball LB's need to be freakazoids for me to take them in the 1st.  JOK is fine, and I'll be fine if we take him, but I think some of the guys in the later rounds are pretty close to him.  Now, if there's a giant run on CB's and DE's, then sure, I guess.  Especially since we're talking late 1st.  JOK is just OK to me.  He makes some big hits so he stands out, kind of adds to the hype.  He misses his fair share of tackles also.  Watch his tape of the Duke game.  Yucky.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

😂 

I think JOK would be a perfect fit for what we want to do.  He’s big and physical enough to play at the second level consistently while also fast and explosive to play well in coverage.

What you call a tweener I call a perfect hybrid for a nickel and dime based defense.

His 8.71 RAS score as a linebacker is what gives me pause. If you put that same RAS score in for a safety, it wouldn't be nearly as impressive. (They'd still be pretty good, just not nearly as impressive).

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think he’d really be learning a new position, he’d essentially be doing the same thing.

He wouldn’t be playing a true LB spot here.

Right, and I'm saying that I would be just as fine with Ronnie Harrison (comparable size) or Pete Werner in the 2nd

For example, Werner has very comparable production from a purely analytics standpoint (with the film to match) and is a lot bigger and better in the box.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

JOK’s primary appeal to me is his coverage ability.  He was 2nd in the country per PFF in the slot.  That’s nuts.

You know who else had a great coverage...

(I'm giddy quoting myself after your gif you used last page. You're bringing this upon yourself)

On 3/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, MWil23 said:

Last year he was arguably their best defender in the back 7 (not that it's exactly saying much). His advanced coverage metrics are fantastic.

LOOK AT THOSE ANALYTICS @LETSGOBROWNIES!!!!!

On 3/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, MWil23 said:

I mean, Trevor Lawrence completed ZERO passes when throwing his way in the CFP Semi Final, and while he's not a great player in "man" situations, as a WLB or SLB, he will be predominantly playing zone anyway, especially if it's a Cover 3 or 4 scheme. He also does very well against TE:

and excels in crossing routes:

IMO, Werner is a very SAFE prospect, and yesterday a lot of you all saw that his measurables are extremely underrated as well.

• Like 2

And tbh I don’t really care about timed numbers and RAS a ton this year as they’re all pro day results.  I just want to see “within normal limits”

And I think the killer for JOK as far as RAS is his his size, which is fairly irrelevant for what we’d ask of him.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And tbh I don’t really care about timed numbers and RAS a ton this year as they’re all pro day results.  I just want to see “within normal limits”

We've talked about prefacing hot takes with well balanced disclaimers man. 140 characters or less, preferably with a ridiculous analogy.

"Linebackers are like a Ford Focus. Good gas mileage, necessary to get you from Points A to B. Dime a dozen."

~Colin Cowherd (probably)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I might be the only guy who likes Azeez Ojulari for us. It’s just based on what I think our scheme is trying to become.

He is honestly my favorite of the pass rushers.  He has the most moves and ties it with the athleticism and motor necessary to compete in the NFL.

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like Ojulari as a pass rusher, but that’s about all he’s gonna do in this defense unless he tacks on a good bit of weight.

The Porter comp is good, and like Porter his best fit is in a 3-4 base.

I like him, I just don’t like him at 26 I guess.

Honestly the comp I heard which makes a lot of sense to me is Yannick Ngakoue.  He is about the same size, and I had heard a lot this offseason that we were perusing him.  So based on what Candyman said, I think he fits the scheme we are trying to become.

I think we want our edge rushers just out there rushing the passer.  And It seems like more of a wide 9 than a traditional front.

I know literally nothing about this draft unless we take someone from OSU or Alabama or something. Back when it was life or death who we took I was so knowledgably and opinionated. Now? Nothing. Like I just looked at a few mocks and I literally dont know any of the players getting taken from 20-32 except Asante Samuels son. 

I'm going to rely on you guys to tell me how to feel. Dont let me down. 

• Like 2