The Car Thread

Dome

42 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Just in case you ever wondered how much it would be....

https://jalopnik.com/the-lease-payments-on-a-bugatti-chiron-sport-will-make-1845477767

I can’t for the life of me figure out why someone buys these things.

I get liking speed and opulence or whatever, but 2 million to lease a car for 5k miles?  

I just can’t fathom how anyone, regardless of the amount of money they have, can think they look that cool driving that car that it’s somehow worth 2 million bucks?  And you don’t even get to drive it 😂 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get liking speed and opulence or whatever, but 2 million to lease a car for 5k miles?  

I just can’t fathom how anyone, regardless of the amount of money they have, can think they look that cool driving that car that it’s somehow worth 2 million bucks?  And you don’t even get to drive it 😂 

change "car" to "watches"
And then take a quick look at yourself in the mirror.  HaHa !

For a lot of these car dudes, its the chase and the capture. He owns a Ferrari worth $350K, and I'd bet that's not his only one.
Once they get the fever, money becomes secondary. I agree - Its absurd, but its not that unusual among that crowd.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Forget that part of it. Being willing to pay for it is one thing, but I want to know what kind of job would allow you to afford those monthly payments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

change "car" to "watches"
And then take a quick look at yourself in the mirror.  HaHa !

right, but I can sell my watch for what I paid for it, like right now.  Some Rolexes appreciate in value, as in, keep up with the Dow. At a minimum it’s a couple hundred dollar loss.  

Hardly the same as spending 2 million to lease a car you can’t drive but 200 miles a month.

For a lot of these car dudes, its the chase and the capture. He owns a Ferrari worth $350K, and I'd bet that's not his only one.
Once they get the fever, money becomes secondary. I agree - Its absurd, but its not that unusual among that crowd.

I can even wrap my head around spending $350k on a car you own and can drive as often as you want, indefinitely, or at least recoup some funds when you sell it.

I get treating yourself and all that (as you so ball bustingly pointed out), but there’s a point where it’s as if these people are essentially tossing 2 million in the dumpster to show everyone else how rich they are.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I can even wrap my head around spending $350k on a car you own and can drive as often as you want, indefinitely, or at least recoup some funds when you sell it.

yup.
The Ferrari's really hold their value and often go up, given the artificial scarcity from the mfg.
But the lease thing is definitely fubar. I'd go for hookers & blow before a damn car as far as pissing money away.

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:

yup.
The Ferrari's really hold their value and often go up, given the artificial scarcity from the mfg.
But the lease thing is definitely fubar. I'd go for hookers & blow before a damn car as far as pissing money away.

It makes more sense anyway as the only reason you buy a car like that is to try to impress some money chasing 20 year old skirt.

Skip the middleman.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, bigbadbuff said:

Yep, no way I'd buy one. We have an employee lease deal right now I can get a Stelvio for $340 a month only first month down on a 24 month lease. Guilia probably a little closer to $300 a month. The only Stelvio we have on lot currently that has a red interior is the Monte Carlo Blue, and it's also a Sport which I'm not as big a fan of the seats in for comfort purposes. We do have a couple Black on Red Guilias however.

What kind of incompetent maniac actually even allowed somebody to select the "order" boxes for a Blue exterior, with a Red leather interior though?  Like some absolutely questionable Spiderman fetish stuff going on there or something.  Only way to explain that complete lack of basic aesthetic automotive sensibility.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think what you're struggling to fathom, is probably more...just how much money some people have.  To where dropping $2M on 5k miles of a "showpiece" bragging rights car, is far less skin off their back than you dropping a $20 in the tip jar at the coffee house.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:43 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

right, but I can sell my watch for what I paid for it, like right now.  Some Rolexes appreciate in value, as in, keep up with the Dow. At a minimum it’s a couple hundred dollar loss.  

Hardly the same as spending 2 million to lease a car you can’t drive but 200 miles a month.

I get treating yourself and all that (as you so ball bustingly pointed out), but there’s a point where it’s as if these people are essentially tossing 2 million in the dumpster to show everyone else how rich they are.

This is it though.  People who can afford that sort of "luxury", aren't really "people", so much as a personal "business enterprise" with some person vaguely at the helm.  They have assets at work constantly, where the interest, appreciation, and dividends make "depreciation" of a toy a complete non-factor.  And where frankly, unless they're buying it as a part of a long-term "collection", a lease on a vehicle like that is probably preferable to buying it...because they're going to be able to write off a bigger tax exemption that way to counteract other gains.  Plus, they don't have to suffer the embarrassment and shame of being seen in the same outfit (errr Car twice).  

It's where we've gone from seeing amazing and insane early "hypercars" that were inspirational and innovative.  Dangerous and mechanical and hard to drive, and kinda reeking of gasoline and fluids and noisy as all heck.  To...Fashion accessories with a spec sheet.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:06 PM, bigbadbuff said:

Ended up going with the Green with Brown interior Stelvio Ti with driver’s assist package. Picking it up Thursday. Excited.

Did you get the assist package on purpose?  Or did it just come with the car?  What does it assist you with, driver?

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Did you get the assist package on purpose?  Or did it just come with the car?  What does it assist you with, driver?

Funny enough, a customer ended up wanting that car, so I got a trofeo white color with the brown interior instead.

Driver’s assist package included lane assist and adaptive cruise control. Nice touches but i liked the green color more.

I’ve had the white stelvio for about a week now and I love it. Just tinted the front windows to match the rear ones, and got the cocoa colored weather tech floor mats. The trofeo white paint is beautiful, so I’m very happy.

4 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Funny enough, a customer ended up wanting that car, so I got a trofeo white color with the brown interior instead.

Driver’s assist package included lane assist and adaptive cruise control. Nice touches but i liked the green color more.

I’ve had the white stelvio for about a week now and I love it. Just tinted the front windows to match the rear ones, and got the cocoa colored weather tech floor mats. The trofeo white paint is beautiful, so I’m very happy.

How is a lane assist actually a good thing to have?  That **** drives me nuts any time i've actually driven around with it.  Scrambling for an off button in weird annoying menus to make it go away.

What is the actual point?  Just drive your ******* car and literally STAY IN YOUR LANE.  But also, it absolutely does not work even slightly.  Worst "feature" ever contender.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What is the actual point?  Just drive your ******* car and literally STAY IN YOUR LANE.  But also, it absolutely does not work even slightly.  Worst "feature" ever contender.

I want everybody to have it. Especially nowadays, with everybody playing with their phone. I don't cross the line enough as a driver to need it, but people around me do. I want it in every car for my protection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I want everybody to have it. Especially nowadays, with everybody playing with their phone. I don't cross the line enough as a driver to need it, but people around me do. I want it in every car for my protection.

Agreed. Blind spot monitoring has become pretty much standard, lane assist should as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrDrew said:

These "lane assist" features absolutely do not work.  Maybe it's because i'm not in a major metropolis, but even when i've driven with them there...it's just an occasional onslaught of annoying distracting blinky lights despite being firmly within a lane.  They're busted as heck, and some of them are even downright detrimental to good highway driving in that they promote overly active steering inputs.

If you're worried about people using their phones while they drive, maybe the solution is to outlaw people using their phones while they operate a motor vehicle, and make gigantic distracting infotainment screens and extensive tech integration illegal.  ie.  Target the source of the problem, rather than making everyone suffer because some *******s can't drive properly, and can't put their phone down for a second to operate a motor vehicle responsibly.

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Agreed. Blind spot monitoring has become pretty much standard, lane assist should as well.

I will contemplate building car bombs with lane keep assist if this ever becomes law tbh.

It's just so entirely not necessary.  If you actually just drive the car...you don't need a "lane keep assist".  If you cannot keep your car in a lane, you absolutely 100% should not have a license to drive vehicles.  It's when you're futzing around with your phone, or futzing around with your phone through Apple CarPlay or similar, where you'd actually be distracted enough to meander out of your lane.  None of that is remotely necessary.  None of that **** should exist, or ever should've been allowed to be included in an automobile.  Cars are a piece of machinery.  Not a weird capsule to transport you to somewhere while you hurtle down the road at 70mph checking instagram or whatever.