The Car Thread

Dome

28 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm a camping/outdoor enthusiast, so this is definitely going to be put through its paces. On the other hand it's technically my wife's car. We were out in CA for a wedding last year and I rented a convertible Camaro to drive up the coast from LA to SLO. When we got to where we were going she fell in love with a Wrangler that our friends had rented and has wanted one ever since.

It's a good thing she likes the mountains and road trips too!

I'm still stuck in my 14 Corolla...

Such a great drive.

Where do you live?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Such a great drive.

Where do you live?

I live in the closest south suburb of Chicago. We like to travel west a lot though - Glacier, RMNP, the Black Hills. We were supposed to go to Yosemite and Napa for our 10 year anniversary this year, but COVID...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I live in the closest south suburb of Chicago. We like to travel west a lot though - Glacier, RMNP, the Black Hills. We were supposed to go to Yosemite and Napa for our 10 year anniversary this year, but COVID...

Oh good stuff.

If you like great drives/road trips, check out Beartooth highway and highway 12 in Utah if you ever get a chance.  Both are incredible.  I’m assuming you’ve already done Going to The Sun Road?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh good stuff.

If you like great drives/road trips, check out Beartooth highway and highway 12 in Utah if you ever get a chance.  Both are incredible.  I’m assuming you’ve already done Going to The Sun Road?

Glacier is our favorite. Going to the Sun, Polebridge, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Iceberg Lake... I've spent a good amount of time cruising and hiking there. Someday we are going to stay at the Prince of Wales in Waterton.

Thanks for the suggestion on Beartooth! Never been but we are always up for a great road trip.

I think the best part of buying a Jeep was the instant recognition of the Jeep code. Other Wrangler drivers were waving to us even on the test drive :) It's like joining a club that I didn't know existed a week ago.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 3:13 PM, MrDrew said:

It's really hard to find an advantage to this. Hyundai makes a dual-clutch, and traditional manual. People that want a manual already know how to deal with a clutch. People that don't know how to use a clutch aren't going to buy something that they have to shift. The DCT is already built like manual, and you shift without a clutch. It's also a faster shift. It can't be cheaper to make this new one, and it's taking away performance. A dual-clutch with a gated manual sounds interesting, but there's really no advantage to it.

Yeah...this sounds like Hyundai have miraculously found a way to build...literally the worst of both worlds.  For cheap!

On 10/07/2020 at 12:13 PM, JDBrocks said:

Glacier is our favorite. Going to the Sun, Polebridge, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Iceberg Lake... I've spent a good amount of time cruising and hiking there. Someday we are going to stay at the Prince of Wales in Waterton.

Thanks for the suggestion on Beartooth! Never been but we are always up for a great road trip.

I think the best part of buying a Jeep was the instant recognition of the Jeep code. Other Wrangler drivers were waving to us even on the test drive :) It's like joining a club that I didn't know existed a week ago.

Glacier park is so dope.  One time i even snuck in there illegally for an hour and ate some cheese and crackers.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

check out Beartooth highway and highway 12 in Utah if you ever get a chance.  Both are incredible.

Awesome drives ! Highly recommend both of em.
We were staying at a ranch on the Wyoming side and we drove Beartooth 3 times because its so awesome. It drops down on the Wyoming side right near the northeast entrance to Yellowstone, so you can hit both on the same trip.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's nice, I'll give it that. I'll need to see how it performs against the Wrangler off road...

Wranglers aren't even Wranglers anymore offroad. Still very good, but more of a style vehicle than a pure offroader. I'd expect the Bronco to be similar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Wranglers aren't even Wranglers anymore offroad. Still very good, but more of a style vehicle than a pure offroader. I'd expect the Bronco to be similar.

Interesting. As a new Wrangler owner I'd be interested to hear you expand on this.

Again, I'm not a car guy and I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm genuinely curious.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Interesting. As a new Wrangler owner I'd be interested to hear you expand on this.

Again, I'm not a car guy and I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm genuinely curious.

Nothing too bad. They're just built for more comfort now because people don't spend that type of money for just an offroader. They're bigger, heavier, ride softer, and have electronics that wouldn't let you have the doors off and drive through mud with. It's not that they aren't capable offroad, because they still are, but I don't know that they're still setting the bar.

1 minute ago, MrDrew said:

Nothing too bad. They're just built for more comfort now because people don't spend that type of money for just an offroader. They're bigger, heavier, ride softer, and have electronics that wouldn't let you have the doors off and drive through mud with. It's not that they aren't capable offroad, because they still are, but I don't know that they're still setting the bar.

Interesting, thanks. The dealership actually indicated that we could drive through mud/water with the doors and top off no problem. 

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Interesting, thanks. The dealership actually indicated that we could drive through mud/water with the doors and top off no problem. 

That's actually a good thing. I have a buddy that bought one a few years back, and only a couple of models had good water resistance on the radio. Which model did you wind up with?

Just now, MrDrew said:

That's actually a good thing. I have a buddy that bought one a few years back, and only a couple of models had good water resistance on the radio. Which model did you wind up with?

2020 Wrangler Unlimited North Edition in black. This is the exact model:

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.html#/build/exterior/zipcode/CUJ202010JLJP74D/2TE/EC3,DFT,DLK,SDU,WPT,T7,UAQ,ALP,AD6,AJ1,HT3,CMD,GXD,CK5,CHD,X9,PX8,28E,APA