The Car Thread

Dome

42 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's less involved and less engaging, to just pull a paddle and mash the throttle.  More satisfying and engaging to work on nailing those rev-matched downshifts yourself.  Where it's more involved and engaging, because you are doing more manually

I guess I'm just more engaged with the actual driving than I am with a 3rd pedal. I'm still shifting manually, I'm still picking when I shift, the car will never shift for me in manual mode, and I can push the car harder without the time it takes to push in a clutch. Now if it was a torque converter automatic, I'd agree with you, even if they put paddle shifters on it.

• Like 1

Manual shifting is fun as hell.... for short periods of time here and there.

If you’re going through turns and getting into it, sure, but other than than I’m cool.

Sitting in stop and go traffic pumping the clutch constantly for 45 min isn’t fun imo.  Great for a “weekend driver” but I’ll pass for a daily.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Manual shifting is fun as hell.... for short periods of time here and there.

If you’re going through turns and getting into it, sure, but other than than I’m cool.

Sitting in stop and go traffic pumping the clutch constantly for 45 min isn’t fun imo.  Great for a “weekend driver” but I’ll pass for a daily.

And that's why a dual-clutch is the best of both worlds. It's a manual with an auto mode, not an auto with some ability to shift. I have both sitting in my driveway right now, and they're not even close to the same thing.

• Like 2

https://jalopnik.com/these-ev-transmission-adapters-give-you-more-options-fo-1844205548

@Tugboat Told you not to completely give up on EV's. We're still in the discovery phase on what can be done with them, and companies doing this like this are going to change the market for drivers. It also could prove that people don't really care about driving anymore, and just want comfortable transportation. I'm holding on to the hope that it sparks a new segment, like the pony cars did.

4 hours ago, MrDrew said:

https://jalopnik.com/these-ev-transmission-adapters-give-you-more-options-fo-1844205548

@Tugboat Told you not to completely give up on EV's. We're still in the discovery phase on what can be done with them, and companies doing this like this are going to change the market for drivers. It also could prove that people don't really care about driving anymore, and just want comfortable transportation. I'm holding on to the hope that it sparks a new segment, like the pony cars did.

That still seems terribly dull and dreary to me.  Half the character of an interesting car comes in the sound and vibrations and "aliveness" of a great motor.  Replacing all that glorious character with the endless whirring and whining of an electric motor just sounds dreadfully uninteresting, if not downright unpleasant.  No matter what you do...you're never getting around that fundamental problem with EVs.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

That still seems terribly dull and dreary to me.  Half the character of an interesting car comes in the sound and vibrations and "aliveness" of a great motor.  Replacing all that glorious character with the endless whirring and whining of an electric motor just sounds dreadfully uninteresting, if not downright unpleasant.  No matter what you do...you're never getting around that fundamental problem with EVs.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s

Ninja car

EDIT: i don't think i'd want to own one either though, but for different reasons.  I don't care about the noises it makes or w/e.  But having something with a battery that degrades, and is probably expensive to replace (?), doesn't sound appealing to me.  Also pretty much anything that needs done to it has to be by the dealer.  But maybe that's offset by other cost of ownership items.

Edited by theJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's really hard to find an advantage to this. Hyundai makes a dual-clutch, and traditional manual. People that want a manual already know how to deal with a clutch. People that don't know how to use a clutch aren't going to buy something that they have to shift. The DCT is already built like manual, and you shift without a clutch. It's also a faster shift. It can't be cheaper to make this new one, and it's taking away performance. A dual-clutch with a gated manual sounds interesting, but there's really no advantage to it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrDrew said:

It's really hard to find an advantage to this. Hyundai makes a dual-clutch, and traditional manual. People that want a manual already know how to deal with a clutch. People that don't know how to use a clutch aren't going to buy something that they have to shift. The DCT is already built like manual, and you shift without a clutch. It's also a faster shift. It can't be cheaper to make this new one, and it's taking away performance. A dual-clutch with a gated manual sounds interesting, but there's really no advantage to it.

It sounds like the only advantage is that it is cheaper to build, which is why it is currently only marketed towards India on budget cars.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

It sounds like the only advantage is that it is cheaper to build, which is why it is currently only marketed towards India on budget cars.

I don't see how it would even be cheaper. It's a whole new setup, which means they have to build the assembly line to make it. It's taking new parts, new deals with suppliers....

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I don't see how it would even be cheaper. It's a whole new setup, which means they have to build the assembly line to make it. It's taking new parts, new deals with suppliers....

Sure, but if it is cheaper to build each unit and  plan on moving millions of units over the next few decades, you can easily recoup those costs. Companies make cost reduction changes to products all the time. 

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Damn, I keep finding these threads late haha!

The wife and I just bought a brand new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited North Edition in black.

I'm not much of a "car guy" but this thing is so much fun to drive. 

Congrats!  You gonna actually take it off road or is it a mall crawler?

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Congrats!  You gonna actually take it off road or is it a mall crawler?

I'm a camping/outdoor enthusiast, so this is definitely going to be put through its paces. On the other hand it's technically my wife's car. We were out in CA for a wedding last year and I rented a convertible Camaro to drive up the coast from LA to SLO. When we got to where we were going she fell in love with a Wrangler that our friends had rented and has wanted one ever since.

It's a good thing she likes the mountains and road trips too!

I'm still stuck in my 14 Corolla...

• Like 1