The Car Thread

Dome

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Don't street race. Get some track time if you want to drive 100+

https://jalopnik.com/car-show-flyby-camaro-driver-kills-two-in-triple-digit-1846331129

I read about this yesterday - horrible situation, horrible outcome.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/deadly-car-meet-crash-on-290-harris-county-chevrolet-camaro-crashes-video/285-4883714f-23b8-4e3e-9f85-a423b6390a2a

There is some edited video of the crash - be mindful.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I read about this yesterday - horrible situation, horrible outcome.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/deadly-car-meet-crash-on-290-harris-county-chevrolet-camaro-crashes-video/285-4883714f-23b8-4e3e-9f85-a423b6390a2a

There is some edited video of the crash - be mindful.

People continue to do this at car meets, and people continue to get hurt and die. You'd think it would only take once for it to stop, but we're a terrible species. Now it's happened enough that more laws will be passed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

People continue to do this at car meets, and people continue to get hurt and die. You'd think it would only take once for it to stop, but we're a terrible species. Now it's happened enough that more laws will be passed.

I want to say about a decade ago, there was a huge crackdown on this here, but that was actual drag racing going on - car meets used to be all about showing off you car, seeing some nice cars, etc. Nothing like this, flybys like this are so incredibly stupid.

Edit - the 14yr old in critical condition died... so Andrew Mock killed three people. 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I want to say about a decade ago, there was a huge crackdown on this here, but that was actual drag racing going on - car meets used to be all about showing off you car, seeing some nice cars, etc. Nothing like this, flybys like this are so incredibly stupid.

Edit - the 14yr old in critical condition died... so Andrew Mock killed three people. 

The sad thing is that it’s always the people that want to be cool with their Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. I went to THE Cars and Coffee in Irvine. I saw an F40, F50, Enzo, MC12, and a Carrara GT. Those were just the cars over $250k. Not one flyby, no peel outs. If the people that drive cars that can get to your top speed inside the parking lot don’t need to show off, stop killing people with your car that the average person can afford. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

@Uncle Buck what’s your take on maintenance work for a Mercedes?  Dealership or find a reputable euro repair shop? Now looking at 2011 E350 and had it checked over at the dealership but some of their prices seem a little nuts.  Which is expected but wondering how much you trust other repair shops. 

Sorry Slim, somehow I didn't see this post.  To answer your question, the dealership will treat you like a king while the car is under warranty.  They will take you to the cleaners after that.  For your E350, you'll be a lot better off if you can find an independent mechanic who can work on them.  I don't have a problem at all taking my cars into the smaller shops, and as you mentioned, if they specialize in German cars, there shouldn't be much that they can't do just as well as any dealer's mechanic. 

By the way, did you end up getting it?  :)

Edited by Uncle Buck

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dome said:

this one got me.

You could take the engine out of this car, drop it off the Golden Gate Bridge, fish it out of the water a thousand years later, put it in the trunk of the car, fill the gas tank up with Nutella, turn the key, and this puppy would ******* start right up