Worst Case Scenario

TOUCAN

Any QB not named Trevor Lawrence. 

Honestly the thought of trading up scares me as well.

Every QB except Lawrence is going to need some clipboard time. We need impact from our first round pick. 

So worst case scenario for me, trading up for a QB that will need at least a season riding the bench.

(Flip side of that, trading up for Kyle Pitts, I'm ok with depending on the price) 

Edited by Slappy Mc

I find these first round names generally overrated:

1) Trevon Moehrig - Yes, we need a Free Safety but we don't need an average one. He isn't athletically special and I think he's being propped up in a weak safety class.  

2) Teven Jenkins - Similar to Moehrig, I think Jenkins is overrated. He ran a good forty and I think he's being propped up by that and the need for OTs

3) Jaylen Waddle - I think he'll get picked before 19 thankfully and we won't have the temptation to take him if he is there. He would be redundant for our WR corps and I don't believe he'd be BPA despite what the media rankings are.

4) Greg Newsome - Workout warrior and just because he ran a 4.39 doesn't mean he will be any good.

5) Jaycee Horn - It looks like he is the consensus #2 cornerback so I doubt he'll be at 19. He has some bad tape and is getting a little hyped up due to his off-season workouts.

6) Alijah Vera-Tucker - What is this guy... a tackle or a guard? He's slated to go in the top of the first half of the round. He's the definition of a 'meh' pick for me. I don't see him as a special, all pro type player. 

Edited by taylor made
spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I find these first round names generally overrated:

1) Trevon Moehrig - Yes, we need a Free Safety but we don't need an average one. He isn't athletically special and I think he's being propped up in a weak safety class.  

2) Teven Jenkins - Similar to Moehrig, I think Jenkins is overrated. He ran a good forty and I think he's being propped up by that and the need for OTs

3) Jaylen Waddle - I think he'll get picked before 19 thankfully and we won't have the temptation to take him if he is there. He would be redundant for our WR corps and I don't believe he'd be BPA despite what the media rankings are.

4) Greg Newsome - Workout warrior and just because he ran a 4.39 doesn't mean he will be any good.

5) Jaycee Horn - It looks like he is the consensus #2 cornerback so I doubt he'll be at 19. He has some bad tape and is getting a little hyped up due to his off-season workouts.

6) Alijah Vera-Tucker - What is this guy... a tackle or a guard? He's slated to go in the top of the first half of the round. He's the definition of a 'meh' pick for me. I don't see him as a special, all pro type player. 

I don’t think we should take Greg Newsome but, he was a really good corner at Northwestern. He played really well in the Big 10 title game last year against Ohio State and shut down Garrett Wilson but, Chris Olave didn’t play which affected the Ohio State offense. Still, Newsome played well in that game and really all year.

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

Anyways, I think the worst case scenario will be if JOK is off the board. We'll have a tough decision to make there. Then add a player like Christian Darisaw off as well, we'll be picking a player that not a lot us will have predicted being picked. 

There’s a bunch of players I’d be fine with us taking, really RB & another DL are the two positions I’d be upset with us taking. If we take a LB I’d be good with it. If we take an OL I’d be good with it. If we take a DB I’d be good with it. If we take a WR I’d be good with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

There’s a bunch of players I’d be fine with us taking, really RB & another DL are the two positions I’d be upset with us taking. If we take a LB I’d be good with it. If we take an OL I’d be good with it. If we take a DB I’d be good with it. If we take a WR I’d be good with it. 

I'm with you on linebacker & the no need for DL for sure but I think you are discounting Najee. My big board for us:

1) Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - I think he's a playmaker and he won't have much pressure to perform behind our defensive line

2) Zaven Collins - I'm not worried about his weight although he might not be able to play MLB. He'd offer some pass rush at the linebacker position. I think he might be the most underrated player in the first round.

3) Najee Harris -  I think Najee is special and is getting overlooked. Yes we just drafted Antonio Gibson, but hasn't proven to be a workhorse running back. We had MAJOR issues at RB down the stretch. Our offense is gonna be mediocre at best but Harris could change that. 

4) Christian Darrisaw  - I'm not as high on Darrisaw as others but the fit is obvious and he'd be a solid pick. 

5) Caleb Farley - He's gonna drop some due to medicals but I think he's gonna be worth the risk by the time our pick rolls around. 

Taking an RB is probably the worst case scenario for me, especially if it’s not Najee. Call me crazy, but I think maybe we have something in the 22-year-old who averaged 4.7 YPC, caught 36 balls, and ran for 11 TDs in his first season playing the position. Just sure why I’d want to spend our top pick on a guy who, if he pans out, would be forcing Gibson into a reserve role. 

I guess the actual worst case scenario would be reaching on one of those 4th-tier QBs at 19 (or trading the farm to move up for a guy I don’t love, namely Lance or Jones). 

Would also be disappointed with a CB, an OL who isn’t one of the top 3 OTs, and probably any safety at 19. If you’re going to insist on going one of those routes, just trade down and get a bonus pick of some kind. I hate to say it, but I’d also be a little disappointed with a slot WR there — which feels blasphemous for me. Seems like the options would be Toney or Elijah Moore, based on what I’m hearing, and while I like both players, I think we just gave Curtis Samuel a lot of money to do what those guys do.

In terms of an overarching (realistic) worst case board, for me it would basically feature the following:

▪️ Fields gone before we can reasonably trade up for him

▪️ Trey Lance gone before 19

▪️ All 3 of the top OTs gone

▪️ All 4 of the top pass-catchers gone

▪️ All 4 of the top LBs gone

Would leave us picking between Bateman, AVT, Farley, Newsome, Moehrig, and maybe Mac Jones. Could be worse, I guess,  but that’s not a great group for me. I sincerely doubt that all 4 LBs will be gone (Zaven and probably Jamin will hopefully still be around), but in the event that we were actually living a nightmare scenario...

• Like 1

Trevon Moehrig - I do not want another Strong Safety.  Free Safety, yes please.  But this guys is another in the box safety.

Darrisaw- I just don't know if he projects better than what we have out of Lucas and he is now injured.  Seems like a big push for local players.  I hope that doesn't up his grade.

Vera-Tucker- Rivera seems all about these players who can play multiple positions.  In the first round I don't want a piece I can move around.  I want a best of a specific position type player.

Caleb Farley-  I don't care how good he is.  Back injuries that require surgery mean short career if a career at all.  

Newsome- I like him a lot, but he is has moved up multiple rounds since the football season ended.  Not sure why.  

Any of the DEs or DTs-  Sorry if you are a BPA guy, but we need to just focus on signing our own in this position group.  

In the end I would rather make a reach at linebacker than a lot of the options above.  

• Like 1