The 2021 Raider Draft Day Thread - Round 1 Chat

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, massraider said:

Phillips or Farley is a swing for the fences.

A Teven Jenkins/Moerhig is more likely a double to left center.  I'm probably satisfied with all four players.  

I just don't want a strikeout.  

Christian Darrisaw, come on down! Vegas Oddsmakers seem to think he’s gonna be there. Although I cannot see Minnesota passing on him... even the Chargers passing on him seems farfetched. However, Vegas has those odds for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

. And if you agree that most rookie CB's are meh, how will he help us next season?

You care about first year production? I could care less. You should never draft with first year production in mind, unless you are a bonafide Super Bowl contender. 

I have heard that UCLA forces players to sit once they have had 2 concussions in one season.  I also heard that he didn't see eye to eye with Chip Kelly.  I would be fine with Phillips concussions.  DE is a lower risk for that type of injury anyway.  If he were a corner, safety, or wideout I would be more concerned.  

Back issues, tackling trouble, opting out, and an acl.  Farley is gonna fall. 

23 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Well said. He was medically retired over them, which is absolutely huge. 

ONE, just ONE concussion in the NFL and he may be medically retired again. 

Farley won’t be medically retired if he tweaks his back again (even though I think his back will be totally fine). 

It wasn't just the concussions that made him retire, add in a serious wrist injury and an ankle injury. Also I've been hearing the classic he's more likely to get another concussion because of his previous ones. Is this true? All of the research I've read states theres an increased chance within a shorten time frame while the brain is still healing but I'm struggling to find any long term studies in regard to concussion rates. These concussions were 2+ years ago correct? I'd assume that puts him out of that initial "2nd impact syndrome" timeframe. 

Also from what I've read the UCLA medical staff is notorious for having stricter protocols than other medical staffs around the NCAA. He was obviously cleared by the Miami doctors so it's not like he's playing AMA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is just pure trolling. And if you’re serious, good thing you’re not GM. 

I get what he means.  A lot of teams completely remove players from their boards for things like this.  That is how Mo Hurst fell so far. I don't think it is a big stretch that Farley could be off a lot of boards. Brown would be a huge reach at 17 but he could easily go in the second.   

3 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

I have heard that UCLA forces players to sit once they have had 2 concussions in one season.  I also heard that he didn't see eye to eye with Chip Kelly.  I would be fine with Phillips concussions.  DE is a lower risk for that type of injury anyway.  If he were a corner, safety, or wideout I would be more concerned.  

Back issues, tackling trouble, opting out, and an acl.  Farley is gonna fall. 

Doubt he makes it past the Jets at 23. And would be first corner off the board at 10 if not for the medicals. Same with Philips. Philips probably goes Top 10 if not for medicals. Now, the earliest I see him going is 19 to Washington. 

1 minute ago, SodakRaiders said:

I get what he means.  A lot of teams completely remove players from their boards for things like this.  That is how Mo Hurst fell so far. I don't think it is a big stretch that Farley could be off a lot of boards. Brown would be a huge reach at 17 but he could easily go in the second.   

I have a hard time believing Brown goes before the Mid 3rd Round. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You care about first year production? I could care less. You should never draft with first year production in mind, unless you are a bonafide Super Bowl contender. 

So then why are you able to come to the conclusion that going into this season with Arnette as a starter is suicide if first year production doesn't matter and isn't indicative of potential or future success? Also it is somewhat of a make or break year for us in a lot of ways, especially with Carr due for an extension and Mayock's seat beginning to warm up. 

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

It wasn't just the concussions that made him retire, add in a serious wrist injury and an ankle injury.

Weren't the wrist and ankle injuries suffered when he was hit by a car? Just make sure he looks both ways before crossing the street. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So then why are you able to come to the conclusion that going into this season with Arnette as a starter is suicide if first year production doesn't matter and isn't indicative of potential or future success? Also it is somewhat of a make or break year for us in a lot of ways, especially with Carr due for an extension and Mayock's seat beginning to warm up. 

Because I never thought Arnette was an Outside CB before we drafted him. He was a Nickel CB. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Isn't tackling one of the most important parts of being a nickel CB?

He has 30” arms and a thin frame. He was a clear Nickel. Out of 64 starting corners, like 4 of them have 30” arms, and only one of them is remotely good in Heyward. As for his tackling, you’ll have to ask Gruden and Mayock why they felt comfortable. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

He has 30” arms and a thin frame. He was a clear Nickel. Out of 64 starting corners, like 4 of them have 30” arms, and only one of them is remotely good in Heyward. As for his tackling, you’ll have to ask Gruden and Mayock why they felt comfortable. 

Troy Hill played well as an outside CB in a similar scheme with similar measurable's to Arnette. Aren't arm size/speed significantly less important in Bradley's cover 3 scheme then they would be in a press man to man scheme?