The 2021 Raider Draft Day Thread - Round 1 Chat

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You being concerned over Farley and not over Philips makes zero sense. Literally zero sense. Concussions are absolutely no joke, and some players are mega-prone to them which is a bit of a medical mystery. Philips is clearly mega-prone to concussions. 

Phillips didn't have any concussions last season, he played and played at a dominant level. I also think that a premier pass rusher is more valuable than a CB. Farley hurt his back in 2019, had back surgery, sat out in 2020, and hurt his back again which required an additional surgery. 

I'd prefer the player that actually played last season and is healthy right now over a guy that hasn't played in 2 years and has had 2 back surgeries in that span. I also think Phillips is a better prospect at a more premium position with a higher upside. 

Farley has tools but he's far from a perfect prospect even if he was healthy, dude can't tackle. He makes CJ Henderson look like Tyrann Mathieu. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Farley broke his back again 2-3 weeks ago.

No, he didn’t... once again you are falling for smoke and complete non-sense. Farley’s 2nd Back Surgery was always going to be needed. This was explained already. 

Farley had L5 surgery in February 2020. They wanted to see if his S1 would heal on its own, but they knew most likely it wouldn’t. After waiting a year and it not healing on its own, they finally did the S1 surgery. Both surgeries are from the same deadlifting injury. He never re-injured his back, and the second surgery was always going to happen before the draft. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I agree.  I’d actually very easily take the back issues over multiple concussions.

Id personally stay away from both at 17. Now in the 2nd... I’d totally gamble lol.

What about two back injuries and an ACL injury over two concussions that happened 3 years ago?

Just now, BayRaider said:

No, he didn’t... once again you are falling for smoke and complete non-sense. Farley’s 2nd Back Surgery was always going to be needed. This was explained already. 

One thing about drafting Farley (28% missed tackle rate) paired with Damon Arnette (34% missed tackle rate, highest in the NFL) is that we'd probably have the worst tackling CB's in the league.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What about two back injuries and an ACL injury over two concussions that happened 3 years ago?

So concussions are actually something I feel professionally quite capable of talking about as I work on a NeuroPsych unit. 

Concussions are no joke. The problem is that they’re additive. Each one significantly increases the likelihood of more occurring, regardless of time.

Phillips has had THREE concussions, 2 in college and 1 as a child (medically documented).  In college, the docs were concerned enough to “retire” him from football. That’s not a small thing...

he is literally one hit away from a permanent hiatus from football. This is not some fluke chance thing either. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Leatherwood and Wyatt Davis will be the first two picks, leaving us Raider fans to drown in our own misery once again. 

With the we're smarter then everybody else duo it wouldn't surprise me

Edited by lester

Just now, BayRaider said:

Pittsburgh always produces some lovely RB’s and DT’s. Also love that uniform. 

CJ Henderson had a 22.5% missed tackle rate at Florida and people here were acting like he was undraftable because he didn't want to tackle. Yet paint Farley as a Demi-god when he had a 28% missed tackle rate at Virginia Tech.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Phillips didn't have any concussions last season, he played and played at a dominant level. I also think that a premier pass rusher is more valuable than a CB. Farley hurt his back in 2019, had back surgery, sat out in 2020, and hurt his back again which required an additional surgery. 

I'd prefer the player that actually played last season and is healthy right now over a guy that hasn't played in 2 years and has had 2 back surgeries in that span. I also think Phillips is a better prospect at a more premium position with a higher upside. 

Farley has tools but he's far from a perfect prospect even if he was healthy, dude can't tackle. He makes CJ Henderson look like Tyrann Mathieu. 

I love Phillips, but one thing I've learned looking into his injury history is that there is no way to know what's going on under the skull.  He might never get another concussion, but most agree/think that past concussions make a player prone to more.  He also had wrist and ankle surgeries.

Farley not playing, I get it, but if I was ranking them, I would say Phillips is more of a danger/unknown, in terms of injuries. 

• Like 1