The 2021 Raider Draft Day Thread - Round 1 Chat

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Not sure when this was. But I will admit I don’t know the severity of the back injury. But when a guy ran 4.2, is 6’2 and can actually play he’s the type you don’t pass on.

I’m the biggest Farley advocate on here but take like 0.10 - 0.15 off every Pro Day 40. None of them are accurate. Farley is about a 4.41 guy (super good still), Stokes is about a 4.38 guy (super good), Newsome II around 4.50, Surtain II around 4.54, and Horn around 4.51. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Not sure when this was. But I will admit I don’t know the severity of the back injury. But when a guy ran 4.2, is 6’2 and can actually play he’s the type you don’t pass on.

I don't think anyone really knows the severity of the back injury because there was no combine and teams weren't able to do their own medicals. 

The average career length following a microdiscectomy is 4.1 years or 36 games for an offensive position, however, there are similar numbers for defensive players. There is no discernible performance decline compared to controls, but the career length is shortened slightly. This does not imply that Farley’s career will only be four years, but that is on average how long players play following the procedure of those already in the NFL.

I’d be a little weary on Farley.

I had the same procedure done a couple of years ago. Similar situation, I had a bulging S1/L5 that ended up with a microdisectomy surgery (known colloquially as a nerve root decompression). 

my little procedure ended up medically retiring me from the Army as I have had 3 years of ongoing issues with my back.

i know surgery has a million different variables and outcomes,  but I can’t imagine lacing up cleats and smashing my body repeatedly over multiple years.  

Very hard pass for me.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I guess one benefit of drafting Farley is that his back will probably be done near the end of his rookie contract so we won't have to pay him.

I admire your commitment, although I’m all in on Farley and have already explained the injury. He’ll likely be just fine. Although of course injuries are always a bit of a gamble. 

I still have Farley #3 on my BB behind Parsons and Darrisaw. And I’m sure most of the fanbase would be thrilled with Farley. His tape is easily the best corner in the draft. Would be a Top 5 Ranked player in this class if not for the medicals and talked about with Sewell, Pitts, and Chase. He’s that good. Even with the medicals, I have him #9. 

Farley would give us the legit CB1 we have craved since Asomugha.

Personally I’m tired of hearing super-safe names that also never pan out. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I’d be a little weary on Farley.

I had the same procedure done a couple of years ago. Similar situation, I had a bulging S1/L5 that ended up with a microdisectomy surgery (known colloquially as a nerve root decompression). 

my little procedure ended up medically retiring me from the Army as I have had 3 years of ongoing issues with my back.

i know surgery has a million different variables and outcomes,  but I can’t imagine lacing up cleats and smashing my body repeatedly over multiple years.  

Very hard pass for me.

I’m sorry this happened to you, but most sports stars recover from S1 and L5 with zero future back problems. You’re not the norm. 

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Rumors Buffalo is interested in a trade up for a RB. Miami at 18 is usually seen as the first landing spot for a RB. Could be a trade down for the Raiders. Buffalo is at 30 so you're looking at 2nd round prospects at this point.

I’d be totally down to do this. I give it a 50/50 chance that Jenkins or Moehrig are there.  We’re likely drafting one of them anyways at 17.

worse case scenario is that both are gone and we take Cosmi (which for some reason I have a premonition of us taking...).

caveat to this is if one of the elite defensive prospects arent sitting there (I.e. Parsons, Surtain etc).

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agree. If we take Oweh over Jaelan Phillips I'm gonna cry.

I wouldn't be mad about Phillips.  The Super Bowl is won with a pass rush.  Almost every year. 

Oops. I misread your post.  I would also be upset if we did that.  

Edited by SodakRaiders
  • Like 1

I’m warming up to Philips, best pure pass rusher in the draft. I’d probably put him #12 on my board. But boy oh boy concussions are tricky. Some players are just prone to concussions, it’s the weirdest medical mystery ever. And once he’s had 5-6 he may have to retire again. It’s very possible Philips plays 5 years in the NFL. And plays about 70% of his games. Definitely way more of a risk than Farley. Concussion-prone is one thing I usually like to stay away from. Although, like I said, I am slightly warming up to him, best pure pass rusher in the draft. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I will get Mike Mayock's portrait tattooed on me and preorder a Phillips jersey today if we pick him.

You being concerned over Farley and not over Philips makes zero sense. Literally zero sense. Concussions are absolutely no joke, and some players are mega-prone to them which is a bit of a medical mystery. Philips is clearly mega-prone to concussions. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

I’m warming up to Philips, best pure pass rusher in the draft. I’d probably put him #12 on my board. But boy oh boy concussions are tricky. Some players are just prone to concussions, it’s the weirdest medical mystery ever. And once he’s had 5-6 he may have to retire again. It’s very possible Philips plays 5 years in the NFL. And plays about 70% of his games. Definitely way more of a risk than Farley. Concussion-prone is one thing I usually like to stay away from. Although, like I said, I am slightly warming up to him, best pure pass rusher in the draft. 

Phillips concussions were 2-3 years ago, Farley broke his back again 2-3 weeks ago. Phillips just had some of the best testing numbers for an edge player in recent memory and had great tape at Miami last season. Farley didn't even play last season and was too hurt to even workout. I also think that Phillips would be more impactful next season and other than QB there's nothing more valuable than having a high end pass rusher on a rookie contract for 5 years.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

You being concerned over Farley and not over Philips makes zero sense. Literally zero sense. Concussions are absolutely no joke, and some players are mega-prone to them which is a bit of a medical mystery. Philips is clearly mega-prone to concussions. 

I agree.  I’d actually very easily take the back issues over multiple concussions.

Id personally stay away from both at 17. Now in the 2nd... I’d totally gamble lol.