Side Hustle

On 10/20/2017 at 10:01 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I dabble in making wood furniture and decorations. Sell the pieces to friends, co workers, family and friends of friends/family...

Depending on what it is can take me a couple hours to a couple weeks. Could post some pics of stuff I've made/kept for myself if anyone was interested to see... 

I'd be interested.  I do the same, although i haven't sold for profit yet.  I've only been doing it a few years, so i'm not great at it.  Takes me more time than a professional would take, for sure.  But the results are good (i met a professional once, to use his drum sander, and he complimented my work.  Said he couldn't have done it better).  So for now, i've just been selling stuff at cost.  Some day i'd like to sell for profit, doing either quick hit projects like picture frames, or bigger higher dollar things like tables, bed frames, dressers, etc.

16 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Two World Series games in Houston next week - actually going to try to use Lyft, see how that works. 

anxious to see how that works for you.  Uber sux around here driving money wise.  Drive 20 minutes to pick someone up, they go three minutes.  Net loss when factoring in gas

On 10/20/2017 at 6:17 PM, CWood21 said:

I was under the impression that Uber drives weren't making that much money.

I've only really drive during prime-time and when there's a surge. No doubt it's not as lucrative on say a Tuesday night, so I don't bother with it.

17 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

anxious to see how that works for you.  Uber sux around here driving money wise.  Drive 20 minutes to pick someone up, they go three minutes.  Net loss when factoring in gas

I'll report back - wife signed up too, so we'll be driving in shifts; She drives from 3 till about 8, go grab dinner, I'll finish off the night. 

On 10/20/2017 at 6:17 PM, CWood21 said:

I was under the impression that Uber drives weren't making that much money.

It varies, but from the few drivers who've disclosed how much they make (to me as a passenger). Seems like in a good city, you can average anywhere between $20-35 dollars an hour. That's a pretty nice side gig, if you can manage it.

7 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

I take a side job here and there doing electrical work. I just finished a job yeaterday, all of it was labor probably averaged about 75/hr for that job. I retrofitted all the existing lights to LED lights.

Most of the carpenters / electricians I work with take side gigs on weekends. Can't beat getting paid cash.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:34 PM, freak_of_nature said:

Me too. 

And I'd also like a side hustle.

I've known some civil/structural engineers who do some residential work on the side.  Creating drawings, evaluating designs, etc.  Probably helps to have your PE.

42 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Most of the carpenters / electricians I work with take side gigs on weekends. Can't beat getting paid cash.

Yeah definitely. I rarely do them now cuz of my kids but before they were in the picture I had side jobs every week. I only did this one because my company had me do the same thing at their Jiffy Lube that they own and the guy who runs ours for us owns a different Jiffy Lube so he wanted the same thing done so basically I already knew what I was getting into with it and there was no urgency on when it needed to be done.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've known some civil/structural engineers who do some residential work on the side.  Creating drawings, evaluating designs, etc.  Probably helps to have your PE.

I do have my PE, but primarily work in the highway design/traffic engineering realm.

1 minute ago, freak_of_nature said:

I do have my PE, but primarily work in the highway design/traffic engineering realm.

Ah, yeah, probably not much you can do in residential then if you're not comfortable with building design.  Design someone's driveway?  Ha.

Archived