2021 Draft Day Thread

NewAge

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We pick Jenkins and him and Becton's contracts both expire at the same time if Becton's 5th year is exercised. But yeah that's a bridge to cross when that time comes. 

Don’t forget Wilson will be coming up at the same time. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

We have pretty much no one pay between now and then. Dallas loaded up on OL and they made it work money wise

Yeah it'll work, cap is booming as well. Chiefs and Bucs proved the cap is a myth and since Douglas is a draft first guy we wont be going crazy in free agency if we're hitting on our picks.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have pretty much no one pay between now and then. Dallas loaded up on OL and they made it work money wise

Yeah and Dallas’ D sucks. When Dallas gets close to the SB with that model then we can talk. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Yeah and Dallas’ D sucks. When Dallas gets close to the SB with that model then we can talk. 

Are defense as is is better than any defense they fielded. We’d be just fine. We also have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds next year to address D if it’s an issue.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The year after 

Becton’s 5th year option will be due in 2025. AVT, Wilson and whoever we get at 34 will be due in 2026 the same time we will have to extend Becton.  That could be a lot of $ in 2026. I can understand waiting to cross that bridge, but since I also want long term sustainability, proper planning has to be performed. 

This team if we go Jenkins is designed to run. It will be a shame to see us not get someone dynamic as a RB to show how good the OL is. Our WRs are even great blockers. Maybe we get a guy in Round 3 or 4 I like. I just don’t like anyone really besides Gainwell.

Becton’s 5th year option will be due in 2025. AVT, Wilson and whoever we get at 34 will be due in 2026 the same time we will have to extend Becton.  That could be a lot of $ in 2026. I can understand waiting to cross that bridge, but since I also want long term sustainability, proper planning has to be performed. 

Drafting good and having to pay those guys is a good problem to have.

Better than reaching on guys and missing and having the cap

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Are defense as is is better than any defense they fielded. We’d be just fine. We also have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds next year to address D if it’s an issue.

Perhaps. But the idea of having one unit on the TEAM making too much just does not make sense to me. I really want a well balanced team. 

34 will be due in 2025, AVT And Wilson in 2026.

In terms of cap allocation you figure the vets move on and get replaced by drafted picks and the guys going into their 2nd deals take the money. The downside to drafting well is having to pay guys or losing them. But that's a good problem to have, means you're doing things the right way and winning. Which is what we all want.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This team if we go Jenkins is designed to run. It will be a shame to see us not get someone dynamic as a RB to show how good the OL is. Our WRs are even great blockers. Maybe we get a guy in Round 3 or 4 I like. I just don’t like anyone really besides Gainwell.

If we get Jenkins and have that awesome OL, would we really need a high draft pick RB?  Hell, I could probably get 1000 yards by mid season with that OL. 

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Perhaps. But the idea of having one unit on the TEAM making too much just does not make sense to me. I really want a well balanced team. 

Ya it would be balanced. We have a star DLine and we’d have a star OLine as well. How’s that not balance?

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Drafting good and having to pay those guys is a good problem to have.

Better than reaching on guys and missing and having the cap

Yes it is. But there is also a better way to spread that out without sacrificing quality.