Day 1 Draft Day Thread

soflbillsfan

10 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He's 6'7'' 270 and runs a 4.6 lmao.

40 time was the only test he was above average in.

Vertical: 30-inch (14th Percentile)
Bench Press: 21 reps (39th Percentile)
Broad Jump: 9’7” (42nd Percentile)
40-yard: 4.69 (71st Percentile)
Shuttle: 4.45 (36th Percentile)
3-Cone: 7.5 (16th Percentile)

6 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

40 time was the only test he was above average in.

Vertical: 30-inch (14th Percentile)
Bench Press: 21 reps (39th Percentile)
Broad Jump: 9’7” (42nd Percentile)
40-yard: 4.69 (71st Percentile)
Shuttle: 4.45 (36th Percentile)
3-Cone: 7.5 (16th Percentile)

His 10 yard split was top among DEs. And I see that on tape. Honestly that is the most important number for a DE cause it shows his get off. And when i see his 2019 games I saw that quick get off. There is numerous instances were he just beat his guy to the spot and just knifed through the OL to the QB.

And you failed to include his size numbers in your pro day results. And that may be particularly helpful to him. His length is super impressive. He can grab the QB when others cant. You cant teach size and length. Rousseau has the biggest hands in the draft... i remember seeing one play where he was beat by a slot WR. He recognized the little bubble screen and had to get out to flat. He was late getting out there which is understandable for a DE but he dives at the guy grabs the back of the guys jersey with those big hands and yanks him down. He doesnt make that play without that length, that get off, and those big strong hands. Thats the kind of stuff that he brings to the table and cant be taught. Those are his rare gifts that he possess and hopefully he realizes that and takes advantage of it.

Seems like a super IQ guy as well. He has been obsessed with football since he was like 8 years old due to his big brother bringing home Madden. 

Rousseau was an excellent pick for us

JOK, Oweh, Rousseau were the 3 names I was repeating as we led up to the pick. I'm nothing short of thrilled. We needed an EDGE rusher, he spent most of the season as the #1 EDGE prospect, ended up top 3 for the position solely due to not playing in 2020

This is better than the Epenesa pick, which we universally loved

• Like 1

I am just not a big fan of this in no way do I see an immediate impact player that would push us over the edge to make it to a superbowl over KC. I know edge was a need but as I mentioned before the talent in this draft was far weaker then most years. Not many are fully developed that would fit our system for day 1 it was Kwity Paye and that was it. I am sure I will get crucified by saying this but while I trust the process of the entire organization but at the dline position I feel like McBeane has come up flat ever since coming in. You look at the FA and Draft picks and not one has been a major contributor, outside of landing a year deal with Jordan Phillips on a bottom of the barrel contract everyone has struggled. Ed Oliver hasnt shown his worth as a top 10 pick, Trent Murphy was flat out Garbage, Mario Addison was essential meh at the very best but not worth the 12 mil he was paid last year and certainly was not an upgrade to shaq Lawson, Harrison Phillips showed some flash but then got injured and was not the same last year, Star may be the best player they have had but paying him what he got paid isnt the same in production, Jefferson was a bust, Butler coming in while playing both DT positions has struggled, Epenesa showed very little flashes of being a rotational guy let alone a starter , then you go and get Rousseau. A guy who has played 14 games looks like an athletic freak but has a ton of technique issues, not great with his hands bad with his hips and can only attack laterally and not straight on. He just reminds me of Aaron Maybin 1 big season fairly well proday/combine and was hyped up. He may pan out 3-4 years from now but in no way do I see him making a splash to get us to where we need to be. I like JOK and Asante Samuel at 30 thought they would be the safer pick but they went for a guy who is extremely raw and a project. If him and Espenesa do not pan out in the next couple of years what do the bills do then restart at the position? Hopefully I am wrong and he proves people like me but in no way am I happy with this pick knowing those 2 were still on the board. Having JOK with Milano and Edmunds on the field would have been nasty and they could have gone edge at 61 with the same project type player at that time, may not be as physically gifted as Rousseau but at least they would have made a difference maker on day 1. Giving opposing teams like KC, Pats, teams with decent to solid game changing TE issues as Milano would be able to finally go back to dropping back in to coverage or have JOK do that while Milano rushes the passer in blitz formation. 

My big board:

1. Christian Barmore (IDL)
  2. JOK (LB)
  3. Aaron Robinson (CB)
  4. Pat Freiermuth (TE)
  5. Tyson Campbell (CB)
  6. Asante Samuel Jr (CB)
  7. Milton Williams (IDL)
  8. Terrace Marshall (WR)
  9. Jabril Cox (LB)
  10. Kelvin Joseph (CB)
  11. Shaun Wade (CB)
  12. Javonte Williams (RB)
  13. Michael Carter (RB)

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

I am just not a big fan of this in no way do I see an immediate impact player that would push us over the edge to make it to a superbowl over KC. I know edge was a need but as I mentioned before the talent in this draft was far weaker then most years. Not many are fully developed that would fit our system for day 1 it was Kwity Paye and that was it. I am sure I will get crucified by saying this but while I trust the process of the entire organization but at the dline position I feel like McBeane has come up flat ever since coming in. You look at the FA and Draft picks and not one has been a major contributor, outside of landing a year deal with Jordan Phillips on a bottom of the barrel contract everyone has struggled. Ed Oliver hasnt shown his worth as a top 10 pick, Trent Murphy was flat out Garbage, Mario Addison was essential meh at the very best but not worth the 12 mil he was paid last year and certainly was not an upgrade to shaq Lawson, Harrison Phillips showed some flash but then got injured and was not the same last year, Star may be the best player they have had but paying him what he got paid isnt the same in production, Jefferson was a bust, Butler coming in while playing both DT positions has struggled, Epenesa showed very little flashes of being a rotational guy let alone a starter , then you go and get Rousseau. A guy who has played 14 games looks like an athletic freak but has a ton of technique issues, not great with his hands bad with his hips and can only attack laterally and not straight on. He just reminds me of Aaron Maybin 1 big season fairly well proday/combine and was hyped up. He may pan out 3-4 years from now but in no way do I see him making a splash to get us to where we need to be. I like JOK and Asante Samuel at 30 thought they would be the safer pick but they went for a guy who is extremely raw and a project. If him and Espenesa do not pan out in the next couple of years what do the bills do then restart at the position? Hopefully I am wrong and he proves people like me but in no way am I happy with this pick knowing those 2 were still on the board. Having JOK with Milano and Edmunds on the field would have been nasty and they could have gone edge at 61 with the same project type player at that time, may not be as physically gifted as Rousseau but at least they would have made a difference maker on day 1. Giving opposing teams like KC, Pats, teams with decent to solid game changing TE issues as Milano would be able to finally go back to dropping back in to coverage or have JOK do that while Milano rushes the passer in blitz formation. 

I mean, if our criteria is how to surpass the Chiefs, then the answer is improving the pass rush.

The way you described Rousseau actually matches Jayson Oweh, not Rousseau. 19.5 TFL and 15.5 Sacks shows he has BOTH the on field production as well as the workout room hype. He dominated on the big stages last year.

I don't know what's not to like. On field production, workout room, #1 (arguably) position of need, the position necessary to put pressure on our biggest competitor

If he played last year he probably goes top 10. He was the #1 pass rusher on boards for most of the season. The reason we are even able to acquire his talent is because he sat out last year

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I mean, if our criteria is how to surpass the Chiefs, then the answer is improving the pass rush.

The way you described Rousseau actually matches Jayson Oweh, not Rousseau. 19.5 TFL and 15.5 Sacks shows he has BOTH the on field production as well as the workout room hype. He dominated on the big stages last year.

I don't know what's not to like. On field production, workout room, #1 (arguably) position of need, the position necessary to put pressure on our biggest competitor

If he played last year he probably goes top 10. He was the #1 pass rusher on boards for most of the season. The reason we are even able to acquire his talent is because he sat out last year

I dont like the fact we got a one year wonder....Everyone was hyped on Aaron Maybin he produced 1 years worth of work and flashed at Pro day. Maybin had 12 sacks and 20 tackles for a loss at Penn State in the 1 year. Like I said Rousseau may eventually turn in to a guy but he cant contribute day 1 and the pass rush position has a high bust rate. Aaron Maybin had similar qualities to Rousseau in which he was able to beat out the inferior talent and lacked technique just like Rousseau he needs time to learn and develop and another year in college would have done him wonders in that way. The NFL its faster and less time to teach you basic techniques his hand, foot and hips need work while he was able to quickly get off the edge laterally and beat outside but was rarely able to beat OTs one on one by pushing them back. Not that its a huge thing to argue but he got his sacks against far inferior talent among the oline. FSU had people off the streets playing oline and thats where he got a 3rd of his sacks he was able to take advantage of that so to me I dont care about production at college cause most of the guys dont make it to the pros. I care about the mechanics of what he can do and he needs a ton of work to get to rd 1 level impact player. To say if he stayed who knows if he would have put up the same numbers and that is my argument you have very little snaps at the college level and you would then be able to see that he is a legit pass rusher but coming off of one year worth of work and sitting out a year is a massive risk to be taking in 1st rd especially when you need a cant miss right now while other teams not only in the division are getting better but the biggest threat in KC got better.   I am just hoping I am wrong and he pans out but I was hoping for someone who can be the guy to put the bills over the top this year not 3 years from now when the window could be closed as teams come and go at the top. 

It’s very hard and rare to get a day 1 impact starter at pick 30 that doesn’t come with some type of concern.

No matter who Buffalo took last night, there would have been question marks.

I would have thought the fan base of the team that took Josh Allen understands that this team likes physical traits and doesn’t care about college stats. Guys take time to develop. We didn’t write Allen off last off season so I’m not sure why guys like Moss and Epenesa are being written off already as “rotational guys” only.