2021 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Tetsujin

3 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Didn’t see that one coming but TE kinda makes sense. 

Maybe they need another non blocking te for if Gisecki gets hurt. Not a fan of this pick, but more of a fan than the selection of a safety at 36. 

10 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Maybe they need another non blocking te for if Gisecki gets hurt. Not a fan of this pick, but more of a fan than the selection of a safety at 36. 

I guess this signals that we are moving on from Shaheen or Smythe.

I take solace in the fact that I haven’t been thrilled with any of these picks, in that I was sure Leaf was going to be better than Manning, and preferred Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers. Perhaps I just don’t know how to assess talent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

I take solace in the fact that I haven’t been thrilled with any of these picks, in that I was sure Leaf was going to be better than Manning, and preferred Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers. Perhaps I just don’t know how to assess talent. 

Well, I can say round 1 went how I wanted and expected.  Round 2 and 3 has been head scratching for me.  We got a versatile secondary player, a potential blind side protector, and what appears to be a solid (if not spectacular) pass catching TE.  It doesn't matter what I think as long as most of these guys pan out.

Edited by Deadeye

I think that in terms of putting our offense together, the idea that receivers come before RBs has been followed by the FO.  They probably would have pulled the trigger on the UNC RB had he been there at #36.  But honestly, RB was not a top priority.  Next April it probably will be.

MIA

6th Jaylen Waddle WR

18th Jaelan Phillips EDGE

36th Jevon Holland S

42nd Liam Eichenberg OT

81st Hunter Long TE

NYJ

2nd Zach Wilson QB

14th Alijah Vera-Tucker OG

34th Elijah Moore WR

BUF

30th Greg Rousseau EDGE

61st Carlos Basham EDGE

93rd Spencer Brown OT

NE

15th Mac Jones QB

38th Christian Barmore DT

96th Ronnie Perkins EDGE

27 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Well, I can say round 1 went how I wanted and expected.  Round 2 and 3 has been head scratching for me.  We got a versatile secondary player, a potential blind side protector, and what appears to be a solid (if not spectacular) pass catching TE.  It doesn't matter what I think as long as most of these guys pan out.

I agree 100%. Just because it isn’t what I would have done doesn’t mean it was done wrong or these aren’t good players worthy of being drafted where they were. 

1 minute ago, Phinsesq said:

I agree 100%. Just because it isn’t what I would have done doesn’t mean it was done wrong or these aren’t good players worthy of being drafted where they were. 

And now actually, thinking back to last April I wasn't enamored with Raekwon Davis, and look how his rookie season went.  The Kindly pick was just "ok", and he looked really good at times.

• Like 1

Like I said before, OT was a HUGE need ( with Hunt moving back inside to RG ) and we had to grab one in the second round.  I have no problem with Eichenberg as our pick.  At this point he is a better pass protector than run blocker IMO, but he isn’t a bad run blocker by any means.  I feel better knowing we have a plan for protecting Tua’s blindside other than DJ Fluker.

I was surprised by the Safety pick of Holland but not because we didn’t need a Safety upgrade or because of the player.  I think in most drafts Holland could have been a first round selection, the guy is great in coverage and a solid tackler in the run game.  He was kind of forgotten about due to sitting out 2020 and was overtaken by Moehrig as the top safety but kudos to Grier and Flores for picking another dynamic playmaker to pair with Howard in the Defensive backfield.  I think we will be talking about Holland as the best safety in the division in 2022.

We obviously want a TE that can block and be a legit receiving threat and I thought Shaheen was that guy.  Maybe this pick has more to do with fear of not being able to re-sign Gesicki.  

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Like I said before, OT was a HUGE need ( with Hunt moving back inside to RG ) and we had to grab one in the second round.  I have no problem with Eichenberg as our pick.  At this point he is a better pass protector than run blocker IMO, but he isn’t a bad run blocker by any means.  I feel better knowing we have a plan for protecting Tua’s blindside other than DJ Fluker.

I was surprised by the Safety pick of Holland but not because we didn’t need a Safety upgrade or because of the player.  I think in most drafts Holland could have been a first round selection, the guy is great in coverage and a solid tackler in the run game.  He was kind of forgotten about due to sitting out 2020 and was overtaken by Moehrig as the top safety but kudos to Grier and Flores for picking another dynamic playmaker to pair with Howard in the Defensive backfield.  I think we will be talking about Holland as the best safety in the division in 2022.

We obviously want a TE that can block and be a legit receiving threat and I thought Shaheen was that guy.  Maybe this pick has more to do with fear of not being able to re-sign Gesicki.  

After watching interviews with Grier and Flo, it sounds like Holland was the pick regardless of whether Williams was there or not. I definitely have no issue with Eichenberg. Though they did choose Holland over Teven Jenkins as well, leading me to believe Holland is exactly who they had targeted. They reiterated a few times they were happy with the RBs they currently have. As to TE, They worked with Hunter and he impressed them at the senior bowl. It does give them 2 athletic TEs and I do think a Hunter is another legit weapon for Tua. 

More or less their draft strategy was BPA. Maybe they did have Waddle graded as the second highest non qb in the draft. Phillips concerns me with the injury history but from what I can tell was healthy his final college season so that is encouraging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

After watching interviews with Grier and Flo, it sounds like Holland was the pick regardless of whether Williams was there or not. I definitely have no issue with Eichenberg. Though they did choose Holland over Teven Jenkins as well, leading me to believe Holland is exactly who they had targeted. They reiterated a few times they were happy with the RBs they currently have. As to TE, They worked with Hunter and he impressed them at the senior bowl. It does give them 2 athletic TEs and I do think a Hunter is another legit weapon for Tua. 

More or less their draft strategy was BPA. Maybe they did have Waddle graded as the second highest non qb in the draft. Phillips concerns me with the injury history but from what I can tell was healthy his final college season so that is encouraging. 

In 3 WR 2 TE sets, the defense will need to pick their poison.  With all these shiny new toys, I think Parker and Williams have monster years.  Attention will be on Fuller over the top.  Gesecki will draw lots of doubles.  Waddle and Fuller really open up the middle of the field for TEs.  Man defense will be tough for anyone playing Miami in these sets.  

What doesn’t get talked about enough is how good Tua was against the blitz.  He was exceptional. Miami has to be giddy looking at the weapons and depth they now have.  

2 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

In 3 WR 2 TE sets, the defense will need to pick their poison.  With all these shiny new toys, I think Parker and Williams have monster years.  Attention will be on Fuller over the top.  Gesecki will draw lots of doubles.  Waddle and Fuller really open up the middle of the field for TEs.  Man defense will be tough for anyone playing Miami in these sets.  

What doesn’t get talked about enough is how good Tua was against the blitz.  He was exceptional. Miami has to be giddy looking at the weapons and depth they now have.  

The way Buffalo and New England are addressing their pass rush he better be.