2021: 01.14 - Jets select OG Alijah Vera-Tucker

Bianconero

On 4/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, Abe56 said:

usatsi_14989165_168390393_lowres-1.jpg

That C on his chest doesnt stand for cutie (even though maybe it should)

I think the hullabaloo was actually over the fact that the players didnt vote him captain. Rather than him not being one. Dont think it matters either way, just clarifying. 

7 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

People are foolish, they overvalue draft picks sometimes. If AVT becomes a all pro LG, who cares that we gave up a 3rd and moved back to the 4th.

I for one was happy JD was aggressive with this move. Was the price for it pricey? Sure. But as you said if he can be a great LG for us for a decade, who cares. Potentially we can have a dominant left side of our OL for a decade. Which is HUGE. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I for one was happy JD was aggressive with this move. Was the price for it pricey? Sure. But as you said if he can be a great LG for us for a decade, who cares. Potentially we can have a dominant left side of our OL for a decade. Which is HUGE. 

That is the problem. You THINK he projects as a great LG and if he fails you just threw away a lot of draft pick stocks. I for one don't like this trade becasue I did not see him being so much better than what would be there at 23. The value in the 3rd round was good too so you miss out on that too. Some times the best trade is the trade you don't make. I for one hated the Sam trade too. I would love to have kept Sam traded down for a MASSIVE hale (which was there because of the 49ers move). I hope I'm wrong but only time will tell. 

21 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

That is the problem. You THINK he projects as a great LG and if he fails you just threw away a lot of draft pick stocks. I for one don't like this trade becasue I did not see him being so much better than what would be there at 23. The value in the 3rd round was good too so you miss out on that too. Some times the best trade is the trade you don't make. I for one hated the Sam trade too. I would love to have kept Sam traded down for a MASSIVE hale (which was there because of the 49ers move). I hope I'm wrong but only time will tell. 

That logic works both ways though....

Like how many times would we of killed to have a GM trade up for a top talent and sacrifice a few mid round picks that turned out off the roster a few years later. Don’t get me wrong I wish we could of had those 3rd rounders also but sometimes you take quality over quantity. 

Last years mid round picks didn’t contribute last year minus a few plays here and there. This year having a healthy Davis, Perine and Zuniga should feel like three new players. And all those players were picked by JD so it’s not like they are more Mac castoffs!! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Couple things to take from this. For starters we didn't trade up for Darnold. We traded up to 3 to get a QB. We had no clue who would be there at 3 when we made the trade. Remember we made that trade in mid march like 6 weeks before the draft where no one had any clue who was going 1 or 2. And even though NYG went Barkley... a lot of people thought they'd go QB. So we traded up with liking 3 QBs, let's keep in mind. And most thought Darnold would go 1 or 2. So it was a surprise he was there at 3.

You also have to remember this wasn't JD who made this trade. So we cant blame him for that. And quite frankly we did pretty good in us trading Darnold to CAR. A 2nd, 4th and 6th equals pretty much a late 1st early 2nd for us.

Now to AVT. You're looking at this knowing the results after. And quite frankly you cant do that. JD traded up to 14 bc he values OL (as he should) and rated AVT high enough to warrant a trade up for. I think I've read he was in our top 10. There was no way he was making it to 23. So he made a move for him. The price was steep... but the likelihood of those 3rd round guys succeeding like AVT will, is slim. Let's take just last year for example. Would you not take Tristian Wirfs over Ashtyn Davis and Jabari Zuniga? I know I would.

8 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

I think the hullabaloo was actually over the fact that the players didnt vote him captain. Rather than him not being one. Dont think it matters either way, just clarifying. 

Well they told the coaches they wanted him to be a captain after he secured the starting QB job. Overall tho a total non-story similar to no one going to Bo Callahan’s birthday party.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Couple things to take from this. For starters we didn't trade up for Darnold. We traded up to 3 to get a QB. We had no clue who would be there at 3 when we made the trade. Remember we made that trade in mid march like 6 weeks before the draft where no one had any clue who was going 1 or 2. And even though NYG went Barkley... a lot of people thought they'd go QB. So we traded up with liking 3 QBs, let's keep in mind. And most thought Darnold would go 1 or 2. So it was a surprise he was there at 3.

You also have to remember this wasn't JD who made this trade. So we cant blame him for that. And quite frankly we did pretty good in us trading Darnold to CAR. A 2nd, 4th and 6th equals pretty much a late 1st early 2nd for us.

Now to AVT. You're looking at this knowing the results after. And quite frankly you cant do that. JD traded up to 14 bc he values OL (as he should) and rated AVT high enough to warrant a trade up for. I think I've read he was in our top 10. There was no way he was making it to 23. So he made a move for him. The price was steep... but the likelihood of those 3rd round guys succeeding like AVT will, is slim. Let's take just last year for example. Would you not take Tristian Wirfs over Ashtyn Davis and Jabari Zuniga? I know I would.

Lol Bobby just ended this entire debate. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To add to this supposedly NE was eyeing AVT at 15 till we took him and forced their hand to take Mac

I'm sorry but a player of the caliber of AVT is worth more than these 3rd rounders who have a high chance of not making it. AVT is day 1 ready and should be a very good OG, not many holes to his game. 

Knocking the trade so we can get backup level players is silly, unless you expect every 3rd rounder to be a starter.  

Instead of worrying about losing a 3rd round pick, how about you look at what we gained? People underrate OGs, there is a reason why the Chiefs gave Thuney a huge contract. Interior pressure is a QB killer. 

Becton and AVT have the upside to be a dominant pair like a Walter Jones Steve Hutchinson.  After a decade of trotting out trash on the OL, I would think Jets fans would be happy that the FO acknowledges how important it is to have talent on the OL.   The fact that AVT played at a high level at LT shows me how athletic and talented he is, I rather go with the quality.

54 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I'm sorry but a player of the caliber of AVT is worth more than these 3rd rounders who have a high chance of not making it. AVT is day 1 ready and should be a very good OG, not many holes to his game.

The closest thing to a blemish on the Jets' perfect draft wasn't taking Alijah Vera Tucker, who is everything you say, but in trading up in order to do so.  AVT was ranked 35th and none of the teams drafting 14th to 22nd were slated to take a Guard.  Minny and the Raiders were thinking OT, not OG.  Bill "I-know-my-customers!" Belichick could barely wipe the coprophagic grin off his face long enough to take the pivot with the highest QBR, completion percentage, and deep yards in college.  Arizona, Miami, Indianapolis, Tennessee (who already have two OGs in the top 15), and Washington (two OGs in the top 18) were drafting defense.  The Giants and Pittsburgh were taking skill position players in every mock we saw.

Worst case scenario?  The Jets would be forced to take a Greg Newsome II or a Najee Harris at #24 and Wyatt Davis in Round #3 [with one of the picks they gave up].  As it was, they could have probably ended up with AVT, Joseph Ossai, Wyatt Davis, and everyone else they got.

50 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

The closest thing to a blemish on the Jets' perfect draft wasn't taking Alijah Vera Tucker, who is everything you say, but in trading up in order to do so.  AVT was ranked 35th and none of the teams drafting 14th to 22nd were slated to take a Guard.  Minny and the Raiders were thinking OT, not OG.  Bill "I-know-my-customers!" Belichick could barely wipe the coprophagic grin off his face long enough to take the pivot with the highest QBR, completion percentage, and deep yards in college.  Arizona, Miami, Indianapolis, Tennessee (who already have two OGs in the top 15), and Washington (two OGs in the top 18) were drafting defense.  The Giants and Pittsburgh were taking skill position players in every mock we saw.

Worst case scenario?  The Jets would be forced to take a Greg Newsome II or a Najee Harris at #24 and Wyatt Davis in Round #3 [with one of the picks they gave up].  As it was, they could have probably ended up with AVT, Joseph Ossai, Wyatt Davis, and everyone else they got.

Chappelle Show Lol GIF

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Ranked 35th by who? First time I'm hearing that one. He was 100% going to be taken if we didn't trade up, he wouldn't be a Jet.