3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

SemperFeist

• 1 month later...

Mond, a 2021 third-round pick, got most of the No. 2 reps ahead of Sean Mannion after spending almost his entire rookie season inactive.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-2022-training-camp-observations-kevin-oconnells-effect-kellen-mond-at-no-2-qb-and-more/?fbclid=IwAR1K8tutAGEp5EB9VnC0KcON9XWkcqtdBG0mgSNKKqw8LOUv_k3VisZFlhI

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Just make him a coach already.

I mean, that's how it works right? Backup QBs that have some sort of tie to McVay go on to become coaches and even head coaches lol

It really all comes back to Mike Shanahan, as his coaching tree has head coaches of 25% of the NFL teams:

Kyle Shanahan (SF)

Sean McVay (Rams)

Matt LaFleur (GB)

Zac Taylor (Cincy)

Robert Saleh (NYJ)

Brandon Staley (Chargers)

Mike McDaniel (Miami)

Kevin O'Connell (Minn)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Drafting Bridgewater over Carr, and then drafting Mond over Mills. 

Spielman:
you suck dumb and dumber GIF

Well, I still preferred Teddy over Carr and just because Carr is still starting doesn't mean I'd have done it any differently. 

Really, Mills is only starting because it's Houston, who has clearly tried to become the new Jacksonville.  Neither one is truly qualified starter-material in the NFL.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, I still preferred Teddy over Carr and just because Carr is still starting doesn't mean I'd have done it any differently. 

Really, Mills is only starting because it's Houston, who has clearly tried to become the new Jacksonville.  Neither one is truly qualified starter-material in the NFL.  

Care is and has always been a better QB than Bridgewater. He also would have been a much better fit for Turner’s offense. I can certainly understand why Teddy, the person, won people over, but Carr has always had more talent. 

And while you may not think much of Mills as a starter, I won’t get into that, he wouldn’t be looked at as a starter here. He’d be a backup. And one who’s easily capable of beating out Mannion. Unlike the guy they did draft. 

• Like 1

I certainly agree that Norv's offense was not the right offense for Teddy.  I think Shurmur's and Kubiak's offenses later would have been far more suited to his skill-set.

As far as Mills/Mond, I do agree with you as well that Mills would have been the clear backup and Mannion wouldn't even be here as compared to this guy.  However, I believe Mond always had a bigger upside, which was the attraction...it just turns out that his floor is so much lower than Mills than what anyone expected.      

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:55 AM, wcblack34 said:

Hopefully a shot at Zimmer and not O'Connell...

That was DEFINITELY aimed at how Zimmer mishandled Mond last season.  It was made before this pads-on camp phase started.  O'Connell is going to give Mold every chance to improve his techniques.  At worst he'll keep Mond as the 3rd roster QB, to continue working with him towards getting next year's back-up job, even if he doesn't win it this season.  But, we know Mannion CAN'T be The #2, so, IF Mold can't beat out Mannion, Quesi will have to sign a veteran backup no more than 3 weeks before Game #1 of the regular season.

Edited by Robb_K