3. 90 - Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh

SemperFeist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
15 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Should be able to get some rotational snaps

Certainly. The RE spot should be wide open next year between Jones, Wonnum and Robinson. One of them should be able to stand out and take hold of it.

Regardless of how this season finishes though, I'd love for us to retain Andre Patterson to get these young bucks up to speed!

• 11 months later...
38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Is Jones a starter next year? From a cap standpoint, keeping Smith and Hunter may not be feasible if they want to upgrade other weaknesses like CB or DL. 

He has certainly flashed enough to merit consideration. Za’Darius has cooled off a bit after his hot start. Hunter is improving, but still finding his legs in the new defense. Still, I’d probably try to keep all three of them. 

• Like 1

There are other pieces to let go of before Smith/Hunter. I can’t understand why so many want to let go of a strength of the team for cap purposes. Thielen, Kendricks, Hicks, Reed, Ham, even Cook should all be considered before moving on from Hunter or Smith. Jones is not ready to start, IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There are other pieces to let go of before Smith/Hunter. I can’t understand why so many want to let go of a strength of the team for cap purposes. Thielen, Kendricks, Hicks, Reed, Ham, even Cook should all be considered before moving on from Hunter or Smith. Jones is not ready to start, IMO.

No problem giving up Cook, Thielen and Kendricks either. This team has a lot of older players and holdovers from the past regime, don’t see a problem in moving those players out for younger players who clearly have upside and are much cheaper. But we don’t have that flexibility right now at WR or LB, whereas at edge we have Jones and Wonnum who’ve both played well in spots. The defense is a disaster this year so I don’t think anyone is off limits. 

• Like 1

Hunter would cost money to cut next year, he’s not going anywhere. Smith, I have to think they signed him with the intention of reworking his deal. If not they would save 12.3m with only 3.3m in dead cap. I just don’t see that happening. 

lots of options with fringe roster guys to create some space without creating weaknesses out of strengths. I could see an extension for Zadarius Smith, maybe 3 years with a void year.

Jones and Wonnum turning it on toward the end of the year might change that. It’d certainly help keep the vets fresh on a lower snap count.

Edited by JDBrocks

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m to the point where I’m more interested in finding a different defensive coordinator before I’m interested in cutting/moving players. 

I don't think you're going to see a change at DC when a team is 10-2 and the #2 seed for the playoffs. Just won't happen. 

The defense this year gives up a lot of yards, but shows up when needed. The Cowboys and Eagles are special cases, because they're superior rosters and our defense is not talented outside of Z, Hunter, Tomlinson, Phillips, PP7 and Harrison. Kendricks is getting old. Hicks is JAG. The CB position has been decimated by injuries. That's not a recipe for firing a DC. 

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think you're going to see a change at DC when a team is 10-2 and the #2 seed for the playoffs. Just won't happen. 

The defense this year gives up a lot of yards, but shows up when needed. The Cowboys and Eagles are special cases, because they're superior rosters and our defense is not talented outside of Z, Hunter, Tomlinson, Phillips, PP7 and Harrison. Kendricks is getting old. Hicks is JAG. The CB position has been decimated by injuries. That's not a recipe for firing a DC. 

I would normally agree, but he doesn’t seem to try to adjust to cover up obvious weaknesses. Maybe he does and we don’t know it, but it seems like we line up and live/die by the scheme.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m to the point where I’m more interested in finding a different defensive coordinator before I’m interested in cutting/moving players. 

I agree. After watching this defense and the tail end of Zimmer’s defense, I’m tired of watching a defense that prefers to just sit back and cover. Give me a coordinator who wants to live and die by the blitz.