NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

14 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Nope. This is why there is so much recency bias among fans. 

It enhances my enjoyment of football when I appreciate all eras of the game...from mud, blood and leather helmets to domed stadiums/palaces and the great athleticism of modern play.

And for VD, pre-forward pass days. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Nope. This is why there is so much recency bias among fans. 

It enhances my enjoyment of football when I appreciate all eras of the game...from mud, blood and leather helmets to domed stadiums/palaces and the great athleticism of modern play.

Fair weather and average fans don't care. At all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Fair weather and average fans don't care. At all. 

We need the "fair weather and average" fans of the world to go deeper!  In fact, you should have to pass an exam at the start of every season before you are aloud to watch games.  😁

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 3:24 PM, Captain Relax said:

Well...my opinion is that preseason is the worst football on the planet. Just eliminate and carry 70 players on the roster with rolling tryouts throughout the season to refresh the roster countering injuries and ineffective play. No practice squads...just 70 players dressing game day. 

Also...NFL records need to be categorized for 10, 12, 14, 16, 17 or 18 game seasons in order to account for the evolution of the game and to encourage fans to learn about the sport's rich history.

I have the opposite opinion. There's no question that the first quarter of the regular season is much worse than it used to be, and I believe that is because teams aren't playing starters enough in the preseason. That will decrease even more of there are only two preseason games. Weeks 1-4 of the regular season are nearly unwatchable as it is. The first month is going to be a slog, and we won't start finding our what each team is until mid-October. 

• Like 3

Detroit showed last week why so many cities want to host the NFL draft.

The NFL said more than 775,000 people attended draft-related events in the city, and Visit Detroit President and CEO Claude Molinari says the economic impact on the city will exceed the pre-draft estimate of $150 million to $175 million. Molinari says there might never have been a week in history when the area’s hotels made as much money as they made last week with the draft in town.

“The week before the draft was our best hotel revenue week of 2024,” Molinari said, via the Detroit News. “It’s possible that this past week with the draft will be the best hotel revenue week ever for Southeast Michigan, and that’s 128 years of tracking that.”

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said he believes the draft will bolster perceptions of Detroit as a place to visit and a place that can successfully host major events.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/detroit-sees-record-hotel-revenue-for-draft-week

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Detroit showed last week why so many cities want to host the NFL draft.

The NFL said more than 775,000 people attended draft-related events in the city, and Visit Detroit President and CEO Claude Molinari says the economic impact on the city will exceed the pre-draft estimate of $150 million to $175 million. Molinari says there might never have been a week in history when the area’s hotels made as much money as they made last week with the draft in town.

“The week before the draft was our best hotel revenue week of 2024,” Molinari said, via the Detroit News. “It’s possible that this past week with the draft will be the best hotel revenue week ever for Southeast Michigan, and that’s 128 years of tracking that.”

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said he believes the draft will bolster perceptions of Detroit as a place to visit and a place that can successfully host major events.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/detroit-sees-record-hotel-revenue-for-draft-week

I interviewed for a job in Detroit. They wouldn't let me walk four blocks from the hotel to the office. Admittedly, that was several decades ago.... And I hear it's actually quite nice now. 

• Like 1

Veteran receiver DJ Chark has another new home. The second-round pick in 2018, who spent four years with the Jaguars, has his third team in three seasons. Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, he has agreed to terms with the Chargers.

It’s a one-year deal, worth “up to” $5 million. Which means, as we’ve learned especially this year, that the only way to get there is to hit some incentives that, at times, can be hard to achieve.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chargers-add-wr-dj-chark

Chase Claypool has made his way to another team in the AFC East. The Bills announced they have signed Claypool to a one-year deal, adding a veteran receiver to the club.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bills-sign-chase-claypool-to-one-year-deal

Edited by vike daddy

Wow...others also pointed out that the Falcons' QB was a guy named Erik Kramer...who before Jared Goff last year, was the last Lions' QB to win a playoff game.  And the current Utah coach, Kyle Whittingham, was also playing for the Rams (and appeared to be in on the tackle).

Edited by swede700