NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Before the NCAA men’s basketball tournament started, the official March Madness social media accounts posted the bracket of Falcons running back Bijan Robinson. Bettors could have made a fortune by betting on Robinson’s picks.

Through the first day of the tournament, Robinson is a perfect 16-for-16. He got all the upsets right, correctly forecasting that Oakland would beat Kentucky and that all three 11 seeds would beat all three 6 seeds on Thursday. And he correctly picked all the favorites who won as well. He was perfect.

How rare is that? The official March Madness game says that just 0.00038 percent of brackets are perfect after Day One, and Robinson’s is one of them.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/just-0-00038-percent-of-brackets-remain-perfect-and-bijan-robinsons-is-one-of-them

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

As I posted on Twitter...it's going to be an utter disaster.  It will be worse than what happened when PI was made reviewable for that one season.  There's absolutely no chance that that is ever going to be able to be called consistently. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

So impossible to enforce, and seriously, how do you expect people to tackle in this league? I'm all for more player safety, but there are limits, and this seems to cross those.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So impossible to enforce, and seriously, how do you expect people to tackle in this league? I'm all for more player safety, but there are limits, and this seems to cross those.

Agreed, there is always the risk of injury when playing any competitive sport. Some of the video examples they showed in the clip were downright laughable. Not sure what they expect defenders to do in a split second decision.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The problem that I see, you have more and more penaltys that will be ticky tack calls, further putting responsibility (and potentially the outcome of games) on the refs shoulders, while at the same time quality of officating is iffy at best.

In the long run, this could also hurt your merchandise.

As a former defense player and an undersized FS: I wouldn't know how to tackle a ball carrier from behind now without him gaining at least three more yards.

Edited by GermanVike
  • Like 2

Thankfully.  It will certainly take some getting used to, but this is the one rule change that I can get behind, even if it isn't exactly the way I believe it should have been (I think the penalties for the touchback are a little excessive).

And Kene Nwangwu just jumped for joy at the news. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

Also, the emergency QB can be a practice squad QB, but he must be one of the 2 elevations from the PS every week to be so.  He just won't be restricted to the per player elevation limits (which is 2 or 3, can't remember right now). 

• Like 2

As passed by 29 owners, the new kickoff configuration will not change if there’s a penalty that carries over from the try. The penalty will move only the spot of the actual kick. Which, in most cases, will be meaningless. The kick itself still must be land between the goal line and the 20, and the action won’t begin until the kick is caught, or until the ball hits the ground in the 20-yard landing zone.

So if the team that scores a touchdown opts for the traditional one-point try, what’s the downside to sending players aggressively after the kicker, with a directive to go all out for the block and not worry about crashing into him? The penalty, whether five yards for running into the kicker or 15 for roughing the kicker, will mean nothing to the ensuing kickoff.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/it-could-be-open-season-on-kickers-during-extra-points