Top 15 Players in the NBA?

RandyMossIsBoss

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He had a stretch of 11 straight points in that first quarter I'm pretty sure. He's already a better 3 pt shooter than Dirk, and has always been much more athletic. At his age that's crazy. Whether or not he surpasses Dirk will come down to how his bball IQ develops. 

Whoa let's chill on the Kristaps vs. Dirk arguments lol. Dirk was hitting 38% of his threes his second season in the NBA. Then after that he shot this from 3:

And then shooting 44.8 in this young season.

What makes Dirk a top 25 player to ever play is his all time great scoring ability from everywhere on the floor, his ability to score that many points at a hyper-efficient level, his elevated game once the postseason starts, and his clutch gene. I think Dirk is one of the 5 best clutch players in NBA history in terms of pure scoring. Certainly top 10.

Kristaps will undoubtedly be a better defender and maybe a better rebounder (Dirk still averages 10+ rpg over his near 150 career playoff games). But he has a LONG LONG ways to go to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Dirk. Now at this age, yes he's a whole lot better than what Dirk was in his second season in the league. And then after the 06 disaster, Dirk developed into an elite passer for the position and became one of the high IQ guys in the league.

I'm all aboard the Staps train though. Hopefully New York doesn't ruin him.

1 minute ago, Darkness said:

Easily Giannis. Bigger mismatch with higher upside who you can run an offense through 

I think an even more interesting debate is Towns vs. Embiid if no injuries were there.

I'm still taking Towns but watching Embiid this year really has me thinking about it. Towns, Embiid, Gobert, Jokic not to mention Davis and Cousins... Has there ever been a more talented group of young bigs?

2 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I think an even more interesting debate is Towns vs. Embiid if no injuries were there.

I'm still taking Towns but watching Embiid this year really has me thinking about it. Towns, Embiid, Gobert, Jokic not to mention Davis and Cousins... Has there ever been a more talented group of young bigs?

Embiid’s elite defense gives him the edge over Towns if both are healthy

1 hour ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Whoa let's chill on the Kristaps vs. Dirk arguments lol. Dirk was hitting 38% of his threes his second season in the NBA. Then after that he shot this from 3:

And then shooting 44.8 in this young season.

What makes Dirk a top 25 player to ever play is his all time great scoring ability from everywhere on the floor, his ability to score that many points at a hyper-efficient level, his elevated game once the postseason starts, and his clutch gene. I think Dirk is one of the 5 best clutch players in NBA history in terms of pure scoring. Certainly top 10.

Kristaps will undoubtedly be a better defender and maybe a better rebounder (Dirk still averages 10+ rpg over his near 150 career playoff games). But he has a LONG LONG ways to go to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Dirk. Now at this age, yes he's a whole lot better than what Dirk was in his second season in the league. And then after the 06 disaster, Dirk developed into an elite passer for the position and became one of the high IQ guys in the league.

I'm all aboard the Staps train though. Hopefully New York doesn't ruin him.

For some reason I thought Kristaps was hitting 42.6% this season to go along with the high volume.

Trust me I did not mean to disrespect Dirk, he was my favorite player of all time. I agree with you on everything about Dirk, but I consider all of that (efficient shooting, clutch, team player) under the broad term of "basketball IQ." Even in his prime Dirk was not very a versatile scorer, but he picked his spots and knew where he could beat you, and then just killed you since blocking a high release 7 footer is near impossible unless you're going for the block before the shot motion starts. 

I made it seem easier than it is, as it's definitely a big if as to whether Kristaps ever learns the game, and his game, to the extent Dirk did. The tools and shooting stroke are there though, which is a special combination.

LeBron circa 2017 is not the best player in the league.  Guy plays zero defense, is poor in the clutch and has gone to levels of Shaq from the FT line.  He's still a top 10 player in the league...  but the best...  No f'ing way. 

5 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

LeBron circa 2017 is not the best player in the league.  Guy plays zero defense, is poor in the clutch and has gone to levels of Shaq from the FT line.  He's still a top 10 player in the league...  but the best...  No f'ing way. 

Dude is coming off a postseason where he averaged 33/9/8 on 56/41/70 shooting. Until he stops performing to that level in the postseason, he is still the best. Bron hasn't been the best player in the regular season for a while, but by end of every playoff run, everyone knows he is still the best. Last year because KD out dueled him, some started to wonder if he was still the best, but majority still rightfully go with him. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dude is coming off a postseason where he averaged 33/9/8 on 56/41/70 shooting. Until he stops performing to that level in the postseason, he is still the best. Bron hasn't been the best player in the regular season for a while, but by end of every playoff run, everyone knows he is still the best. Last year because KD out dueled him, some started to wonder if he was still the best, but majority still rightfully go with him. 

Playing too many minutes.  Playing zero defense.  Playing a style built to maximise his strengths but limits everyone else (hence why they look lost when he's off the court...  this is on Lue too.) The stats look great but they don't really tell the whole story.

It's like a Westbrook vs Curry discussion...  the boxscore vs the eye test

Playing too many minutes. Playing zero defense. Playing a style built to maximise his strengths but limits everyone else (hence why they look lost when he's off the court... this is on Lue too.) The stats look great but they don't really tell the whole story.

It's like a Westbrook vs Curry discussion... the boxscore vs the eye test

I'm pretty sure the vast majority's eye test will confirm the box score. And I'd easily side with you in the Curry Westbrook thing.

41 minutes ago, Dan_Bali said:

Playing too many minutes.  Playing zero defense.  Playing a style built to maximise his strengths but limits everyone else (hence why they look lost when he's off the court...  this is on Lue too.) The stats look great but they don't really tell the whole story.

It's like a Westbrook vs Curry discussion...  the boxscore vs the eye test

Playing too many minutes is relevant in what sense? 

The stats tell exactly what they need to in the postseason.

Westbrook is great, Curry is just better. Both have great stats.

Archived