2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

Ran a mock on TDN.  I don't know these guys.  Just read bios and picked.

Really wanted an EDGE first, but all were gone.  The first pick came down to London at WR and  Wyatt.  These guys any good?

1.22  Devonte Wyatt, DL, Georgia

1.28  Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

2.53  Logan Hall, EDGE, Houston

2.59 Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis (really excited over him when I read his report)

3.92 Trey McBride, TE, Colorado State

4.132  Andrew Stueber, OT, Michigan

4.140 Dohnovan West, IOL, Arizona State

5.171 Jack Jones, CB, Arizona State

6.228  Isaiah Pola-Mao, S, USC

7.249  Merlin Robertson, LB Arizona State

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Really wanted an EDGE first, but all were gone.  The first pick came down to London at WR and  Wyatt.  These guys any good?

2.59 Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis (really excited over him when I read his report)

With the lack of QB's eating up high draft picks.....I question whether Olave would last that long.
I wonder if CHI tries to package some picks to move into the 1st round and snag him. That's Fields WR at OSU.

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not sure how TDN's rankings are compared to consensus, but I'd be happy with McBride with an early second round pick, and don't see him dropping to late 3 since he's the consensus top TE. Never know though it's a fickle position, I'd love having him. 

Olave/Austin combo would be a dream and is very realistic. Odds are we have to take Olave at 22 though.

Wyatt has a ton of red flags, including his advanced age and there was something else about him people were posting about that I forget. I've kind of written him off for this reason but he might be able to come in and be a rotational player in this league, not fond of the value.

Admittedly I haven't looked very long at Hall so I don't have an opinion on him.

A few notes:

Wyatt is old, he's going to be 24 at the end of the month.  The Packers usually don't take those guys high (Devonte Wyatt is like 2.5 years younger than 7 year veteran Kenny Clark).

Logan Hall isn't really an edge, he's a base end or a 5-tech.  

Calvin Austin would be the shortest player drafted by the Packers in like 20+ years.  Keep in mind that we like WRs who can block too.

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A few notes:

Wyatt is old, he's going to be 24 at the end of the month.  The Packers usually don't take those guys high (Devonte Wyatt is like 2.5 years younger than 7 year veteran Kenny Clark).

Logan Hall isn't really an edge, he's a base end or a 5-tech.  

Calvin Austin would be the shortest player drafted by the Packers in like 20+ years.  Keep in mind that we like WRs who can block too.

The best of the top wideouts in the blocking department seems to be London, and that's only by virtue of his frame. His physicality is based far more on hand fighting than anything else. Everyone rated first round or close to it comes up short as a blocker.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm just saying if you're going to teach a guy to block, the 5076 170 lb WR might be a willing pupil, but his upside is minimal there.

If you're drafting a 5'8 170 lb guy to block then you're making a mistake in the first place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

If you're drafting a 5'8 170 lb guy to block then you're making a mistake in the first place. 

Assuming that Cobb is untouchable because he's Rodgers' buddy, and it's too early to give up on Amari Rodgers, how many short WRs are we going to want to accumulate in an offensive scheme that likes WRs who can block?

After the Adams trade, the Packers vaulted up the Draft Capital rankings, from 24th most to # 9th most in the league

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

The Packers can consider packaging picks and moving up into rare air IF they are so inclined.

Here's the updated Draft Trade Chart if you want to play around with moving up/back

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=gb

If you combine # 22 and # 28, you can get up as high as pick # 8 overall, if you have a willing trade partner
You can also move back with # 28 and dominate the money round ( 2nd round)

Also kind of ironic that the Draft is being held in Vegas this year...and the Packers have Vegas' top picks

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Assuming that Cobb is untouchable because he's Rodgers' buddy, and it's too early to give up on Amari Rodgers, how many short WRs are we going to want to accumulate in an offensive scheme that likes WRs who can block?

Cobb hasn't played a full season since 2015, has gone over 700 yards twice in that timeframe, and Amari Rodgers is coming off a 4 catch season. If the team believes in Austin's playmaking ability neither of those guys should be a reason to pass on him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'll take the weapon with speed and agility to run those jet actions and actually threaten a safety or corner down the field.

We've seen MLF try to cobble together his offense the past few years.  Now let's see what he can do when he can draft guys to specifically fit his system.

If he wants to block with the slot, he's got his guy in Lazard.  If he wants jet action plays, he could have that guy with Austin.

I just hope we take 2 WR's early, and that they each have a different skill set.