2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

On 1/6/2022 at 3:08 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

The Browns and quarterback Baker Mayfield have been on a collision course for weeks, if not months. The collision may indeed happen this offseason.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that, if Mayfield “doesn’t get assurances that things will change next season,” the quarterback will “consider asking to be traded.”

Just bringing someone new into the conversation. Is this someone you guys would consider for our QB? If it is, what would be the compensation for him?

Had been thinking about that possibility just the other morning. 

The issue with Baker is whether the absolute collapse this year is related to playing through all those injuries — or if he just legit collapsed. Because going back to last season, he was genuinely a pretty good QB for CLE. Top 10 by passer rating and QBR, something like 16th by DVOA. That’s a guy you can win with, especially at age 25, and they did win with him. 

If you’re making the move for him, you need to set the table the right way. You have to protect him and you have to be able to run the ball. That’s true of most QBs, but I think his size makes it especially critical to keep him clean, so that he can see and so that he can step up into the pocket to deliver the ball. If I brought him in, I’d be looking at paying Scherff and potentially even upgrading on Flowers. Maybe Ekwonu if he’s there at our pick. They have two elite OGs there in CLE, and I think that’s particularly important for short QBs — New Orleans always invested bigger than just about anyone else in interior OL because they knew it was so critical to keep guys out of Brees’s face. 

The only deal I would do for Baker would be something resembling the Wentz trade, where the ultimate return could be a future 1st but it’s conditional and pegged to his playing time and the team’s success. If they want our top 13 pick this year, that’s a no. I’d do this year’s 2nd rounder, but I assume they’d be looking for more than that. Maybe not, though, if he demands a trade. 

• Like 2

If we somehow end up with Kenny Pickett as our pick on April 28, I will be up on the table starting April 29 to demand that we pull a Bengals in 2023 and take Pitt WR Jordan Addison to go with Pickett. 

[NOTE: I’ll be demanding it anyway, but even moreso if we land his college QB]

That kid is the real deal. The realest of deals. He can do it all — smooth, fast, quick, elusive after the catch, circus catches, competitive for the ball. He can hurt you everywhere. Put him across from Terry and you would have something special, I think. Any QB could put up numbers with two complete WRs like that flanking him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If we somehow end up with Kenny Pickett as our pick on April 28, I will be up on the table starting April 29 to demand that we pull a Bengals in 2023 and take Pitt WR Jordan Addison to go with Pickett. 

That kid is the real deal. The realest of deals. He can do it all — smooth, fast, quick, elusive after the catch, circus catches, competitive for the ball. He can hurt you everywhere. Put him across from Terry and you would have something special, I think. Any QB could put up numbers with two complete WRs like that flanking him. 

I love him too. When he gets alittle better in contested situations he will be deadly. I’d be okay with those two here. I believe in keying guys together helping them to develop

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

E, hope you don’t mind I added this video. 
Unreal, INCREDIBLE BALANCE!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

E, hope you don’t mind I added this video. 
Unreal, INCREDIBLE BALANCE!

Love it. The balance and the way he adjusts his body to put himself in position to catch the ball. Just remarkable body control. He has some Stefon Diggs to him, that’s probably my comp with him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Had been thinking about that possibility just the other morning. 

The issue with Baker is whether the absolute collapse this year is related to playing through all those injuries — or if he just legit collapsed. Because going back to last season, he was genuinely a pretty good QB for CLE. Top 10 by passer rating and QBR, something like 16th by DVOA. That’s a guy you can win with, especially at age 25, and they did win with him. 

If you’re making the move for him, you need to set the table the right way. You have to protect him and you have to be able to run the ball. That’s true of most QBs, but I think his size makes it especially critical to keep him clean, so that he can see and so that he can step up into the pocket to deliver the ball. If I brought him in, I’d be looking at paying Scherff and potentially even upgrading on Flowers. Maybe Ekwonu if he’s there at our pick. They have two elite OGs there in CLE, and I think that’s particularly important for short QBs — New Orleans always invested bigger than just about anyone else in interior OL because they knew it was so critical to keep guys out of Brees’s face. 

The only deal I would do for Baker would be something resembling the Wentz trade, where the ultimate return could be a future 1st but it’s conditional and pegged to his playing time and the team’s success. If they want our top 13 pick this year, that’s a no. I’d do this year’s 2nd rounder, but I assume they’d be looking for more than that. Maybe not, though, if he demands a trade. 

If he’s available my guess is we’d be heavy favorites to make the move. I’m sure they’d be willing to part with our pick which I wouldn’t be happy with. If we could keep our first and trade for Baker I’d like to take Jameson Williams. He’s so dominant and would finally give Terry a true running mate. Maybe add Tre McBride in the third if he’s there. And then of course take a back at some point lol

I say absolutely NO to trading for good but not what we'd consider anything near an elite QB. So, that's no trading for Baker & Carr for me.

I believe there are QBs who have  Baker/Carr’s potential are in this draft and obviously they're younger. So, why trade multiple picks for guys like Baker or Carr plus have to give them huge contract extensions when, you could draft a guy who's a rookie and you won't have to give a huge extension to them for 4 or 5 years? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I hate to keep bringing his name up, but it just fits when people keep bringing up trading for QBs in Kirk Cousins’s class of QB.

Would this franchise/fanbase want to trade a 1st or a conditional first plus other picks for Kirk Cousins & pay Cousins $30 plus million a year? 

The answer is no. This franchise and a big part of the franchise didn't even want to re-sign Kirk to a deal like that so I don't understand why anyone would want to give up both draft picks & pay Baker/Carr $30 mil plus a year.

It’s a real head-scratcher. Just draft someone and sign a cheaper FA to compete w/ the rookie, Heinickie & Kyle Allen for the 3 QB spots on the roster. Then, trade the one of the veterans  who doesn't win one of the 2 other QB jobs out of Heinicke, Allen and the FA we’d sign. 

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If he’s available my guess is we’d be heavy favorites to make the move. I’m sure they’d be willing to part with our pick which I wouldn’t be happy with. If we could keep our first and trade for Baker I’d like to take Jameson Williams. He’s so dominant and would finally give Terry a true running mate. Maybe add Tre McBride in the third if he’s there. And then of course take a back at some point lol

Garrett Wilson & Chris Olave are better than Jameson Williams. Williams transferred to Alabama bc he was the #4 WR at Ohio State behind Olave, Wilson & Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

If we're trading for a good but not great QB like Baker, I wouldn't draft a WR, I’d draft Kyle Hamilton - if he's available - of Nakobe Dean.

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Garrett Wilson & Chris Olave are better than Jameson Williams. Williams transferred to Alabama bc he was the #4 WR at Ohio State behind Olave, Wilson & Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

If we're trading for a good but not great QB like Baker, I wouldn't draft a WR, I’d draft Kyle Hamilton - if he's available - of Nakobe Dean.

That’s like saying Dwayne Haskins is better than Burrow because he beat Burrow out. I think all three are going to be good. I like Olave the most but I think Williams has the most ability. 

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That’s like saying Dwayne Haskins is better than Burrow because he beat Burrow out. I think all three are going to be good. I like Olave the most but I think Williams has the most ability. 

No way, Garrett Wilson has the best hands, he's very physically gifted. Burrow/Haskins was a different case, the reason he lost the competition w/ Haskins was Burrow broke his hand during the season before so Haskins was JT Barrett’s back up and JT Barrett got hurt vs Michigan and then Haskins led Ohio State to a win over Michigan. Then, the following competition in spring ball they were essentially equal, Urban Meyer & Ryan Day decided to keep Haskins bc he was a redshirt sophomore vs Burrow being a junior. They didn't think Haskins would leave after just one season starting at Ohio State. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/how-dwayne-haskins-beat-joe-burrow-starting-qb-job-ohio-state

Edited by turtle28

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This will be a weird draft but Olave might have been better served coming out last year despite it being more loaded. Probably not but I’m also not going to be surprised. 

I always thought that. The only guess I have to him not coming out last year is he must have been given a 2nd round grade by the draft advisory board and not a first. This year he should be a mid 1st round draft pick, at worst in the 20s so that worked out for him but, in another way, he'll never make up the $1.2 million he didn't get paid this year in his life. I always say that for some of these guys who can come out and be drafted w/in the first 3 rounds, they're never going to get back the near $1 million or more they didn't get as a 21-year in their life.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This will be a weird draft but Olave might have been better served coming out last year despite it being more loaded. Probably not but I’m also not going to be surprised. 

It’s always going to come down to how he performs at the combine. I think that was going to be the case last year, and it’s the same this year. He doesn’t look like a super athlete when you watch him play — but neither did Justin Jefferson, and then he ripped off that 4.43 and a nice explosive vertical jump, and he jumped right into the discussion with Jeudy and Lamb (for everyone but the Eagles). 

If Olave does the same thing, he could see the same rise. Because he looks so smooth doing it, I think there’s some concern that he doesn’t have the explosion and the quick twitch that makes guys jump off the screen. But it could be that he is explosive and is twitchy, he’s just one of those rare guys that can look like he’s coasting when in actuality he’s moving at a really high speed. Like Jefferson. 

• Like 1

My guess is if we win today we’ll be out of range for Corral and Pickett. Which leaves my favorite QB in the draft Sam Howell. I think they’ll be interested but my guess is they go in a different direction. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them take Devin Lloyd or Nakobe Dean. I think Olave is a big possibility as well. 

• Like 1