2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Um... that can be said about everyone? What's your justification in saying this about Neal... but not Ekwonu?

As far as the combine - Evan Neal might end up having the best combine workout in recorded history. I'm willing to wager that he runs in the high 4.7s, puts up 225 over 50 reps and clears 45" on his vertical (at 330lbs). The dude is an athlete, was ranked the biggest "freak" athlete in college football this past season:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/alabama-left-tackle-evan-neal-tops-the-athletics-annual-freaks-list/ar-AANfyRG

Evan Neal defies physics - he isn't a fat OL who can barely move, he's got body fat in the teens and is one of the freakiest athletes in sports when you consider size/speed/strength/explosion. Combine that with his tape in Alabama, and you have an OT that's worthy of 1.1...

You have lost your mind. He won’t get close to a 4.7, won’t get close to 50 reps and won’t have a 45 inch vertical. I think you are starting to way overhype him now. 

14 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You have lost your mind. He won’t get close to a 4.7, won’t get close to 50 reps and won’t have a 45 inch vertical. I think you are starting to way overhype him now. 

Well, here’s video of him getting a 41” in a split vert. People say he hits 48” box jumps routinely, so estimating he’s going to jump 3” less than his regular standard is actually me underselling his lower body explosion.

I’ll concede that he’s not running a 4.7, that’s a bit wild on my part. But with a reported max bench of 475, I’m confident he’ll get in to the 45-50 reps when it’s close to 250 lbs less than his 1RM.

People have been talking about him as a freak athlete for the last two years. Per the usual, it doesn’t seem like your read that, but that’s not news to me…

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

We’ll, here’s video of him getting a 41” in a split vert. People say he hits 48” box jumps routinely, so estimating he’s going to jump 3” less than his regular standard is actually me underselling his lower body explosion.

I’ll concede that he’s not running a 4.7, that’s a bit wild on my part. But with a reported max bench of 475, I’m confident he’ll get in to the 45-50 reps when it’s close to 250 lbs less than his 1RM.

People have been talking about him as a freak athlete for the last two years. Per the usual, it doesn’t seem like your read that, but that’s not news to me…

Your saying the dude is gonna be the strongest offensive lineman in combine history. That’s a wild prediction. Maybe it will be true, but it’s still a wild prediction. 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Um... that can be said about everyone? What's your justification in saying this about Neal... but not Ekwonu?

As far as the combine - Evan Neal might end up having the best combine workout in recorded history. I'm willing to wager that he runs in the high 4.7s, puts up 225 over 50 reps and clears 45" on his vertical (at 330lbs). The dude is an athlete, was ranked the biggest "freak" athlete in college football this past season:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/alabama-left-tackle-evan-neal-tops-the-athletics-annual-freaks-list/ar-AANfyRG

Evan Neal defies physics - he isn't a fat OL who can barely move, he's got body fat in the teens and is one of the freakiest athletes in sports when you consider size/speed/strength/explosion. Combine that with his tape in Alabama, and you have an OT that's worthy of 1.1...

It's more recognizable with Neal than Ekwonu though. 

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

It's more recognizable with Neal than Ekwonu though. 

Explain - dude is like, 17% body fat. That’s a few percentage points off of bodybuilder numbers, so I don’t see HOW it’s recognizable (outside of looking at 350lbs and assuming it’s all bulk).

FTR - he’s actually weighing in at 336 now, so he’s actually lost about 15 lbs since we’ve last seen him. His BF% is probably around 15%, that’s around what bodybuilders are at a month before showtime.

Every S/C coach says he’s built like a powerlifter and is a first one in/last one out sort of guy in the weight room. He’s pretty well compensated as an Alabama guy, so the money shouldn’t change him…

So, why is it “more recognizable” to you?

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Your saying the dude is gonna be the strongest offensive lineman in combine history. That’s a wild prediction. Maybe it will be true, but it’s still a wild prediction. 

Stephen Paea put up 49 @ 225, so is one extra rep THAT wild? 

The only thing is that Neal has long arms, and reps on bench at the combine are different in regards to full extension and full decompression - so Neal might not get full reps in by combine standards.

I still say he’s going to set a mark that nobody is going to match.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Explain - dude is like, 17% body fat. That’s a few percentage points off of bodybuilder numbers, so I don’t see HOW it’s recognizable (outside of looking at 350lbs and assuming it’s all bulk).

FTR - he’s actually weighing in at 336 now, so he’s actually lost about 15 lbs since we’ve last seen him. His BF% is probably around 15%, that’s around what bodybuilders are at a month before showtime.

Every S/C coach says he’s built like a powerlifter and is a first one in/last one out sort of guy in the weight room. He’s pretty well compensated as an Alabama guy, so the money shouldn’t change him…

So, why is it “more recognizable” to you?

Yeah im just reading up on that.  I saw what he weighed in at the combine.  Might have overreacted a little bit.  I still think you are selling Ikwonu a little short.  The kid can play. If he is our selection at pick 3 I wouldnt even be mad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Yeah im just reading up on that.  I saw what he weighed in at the combine.  Might have overreacted a little bit.  I still think you are selling Ikwonu a little short.  The kid can play. If he is our selection at pick 3 I wouldnt even be mad.

I like Ikem overall, but I think there’s a gap between he and Neal.

Ikem is potentially a Duane Brown - great T, All Pro potential, will make a team very happy for a very long time. The only real criticism I have on him is that he’s overly aggressive and he overreaches when drive blocking and his footwork and body control gets out of sync - that works in college, but if he tries that against guys like Darius Leonard or DeForest Buckner, he’s going to end up on his butt or fall flat on his face while the edge falls apart. He’ll need to play a bit more measured - not a major criticism, just something to note.

Evan Neal? I see Jonathan Ogden in him, he’s a a mutant. He simply shouldn’t exist physically, guys his size should not be at agile or athletic or explosive (and he can actually play football, too). He’s got really good technique, plays nasty when needed and can use his athletic ability to recover when beaten. He’s battle tested against top level talent (SEC bias? Sure, but it really hasn’t been incorrect yet, y’know?)

I’ll say this as well - if my ONLY need was a LT, I’m taking Ikem with absolutely no hesitation. I get the sort of LT he is, he’s an anchor for an OL and he actually might be somebody you bring in to establish a physical run game (so, yeah - that’s a pretty big need).

Thing is, Texans have needs EVERYWHERE. This roster is closer to expansion level than it is specific needs - everything is required to improve on this roster. So when you look at THAT, then you can’t really justify a Duane Brown when you potentially have a guy like Myles Garrett or Brian Dawkins staring right at you at 1.3, you have to answer the need to a centerpiece guy ahead of a very good positional player.

I like Ekwonu, sincerely I do. If in some fantasy world where the Giants trade their 5/7 picks for Watson and the choice at 1.3 is Neal or Hamilton (Thibs and Hutch go 1/2) I’d actually PASS on Neal for Hamilton and pick up Ikem at 1.5 - I can see his value. I just can’t justify taking a great T over an elite Edge or an elite DB.

In other news - good things are happening for the Texans. Malik Willis is starting to skyrocket as a top 5-10 selection. He’s drawing comparisons to Josh Allen and Justin Herbert in terms of physical skillset.

If the Texans can get a haul for 1.3 from a team looking for Willis, that would be a defining move for Caserio.

EDIT: This is part of why he’s getting up there:

There will be some consideration with his character on display in such a positive way - his athleticism is already top notch, so this is one of those “intangibles” they love to talk about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Agree, not a good comparison - but I love everything else about this quote.

Same here. Not the best comparison, but I get what he meant by that. In a weird way, I kind of like the comparison after reading the full quote. It shows that he knows the team history to some extent and he understands what Clowney's strengths and weaknesses are. Clowney was deadly against the run, but never put it together as a pass rusher. Thibs is essentially saying that he'll be Clowney with more pass rush ability which I can sign up for. I think where he missed is not understanding all the criticisms of Clowney's drive and work ethic. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

I think where he missed is not understanding all the criticisms of Clowney's drive and work ethic. 

Thibs not doing that makes me feel good - it tells me he understands how the media works. Had he mentioned this, the headlines would read “Thibs says former #1 pick doesn’t have good work ethic” and the image from that would be worse - it would be interpreted as such, even if it wasn’t Thibs intention.

Thibs answer was simply a positive response, one that really can’t be interpreted as negative - even by those looking to steal clicks in trash headlines.