Broncos T Ja'Wuan James tears Achilles; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

It has nothing to do with giving up. It has to do with upgrading the play at center. Last year Cush was arguably the worst starting O Lineman in the NFL. With better center play our IOL could be pretty good.

54 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It has nothing to do with giving up. It has to do with upgrading the play at center. Last year Cush was arguably the worst starting O Lineman in the NFL. With better center play our IOL could be pretty good.

Well, Cush was a highly regarded rookie C playing between a 1st year LG (who had struggles of his own) and a RG new to a system yet you more confidant in doing it with another rookie and hoping for better results ? While Meinetz looks dominant,  NFL is different than the Senior Bowl or NDSU.competition.

17 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, Cush was a highly regarded rookie C playing between a 1st year LG (who had struggles of his own) and a RG new to a system yet you more confidant in doing it with another rookie and hoping for better results ? While Meinetz looks dominant,  NFL is different than the Senior Bowl or NDSU.competition.

I didn't say that. I never have confidence in rookie starters. 

That said, when you do start them you expect significant progress during the season. Cush made some progress but was still repeating mistakes he made game 1 in game 16.

I think he's a square peg in a round hole. Great kid but without the mobility and agility you need for an NFL center. Could be good at LG.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I didn't say that. I never have confidence in rookie starters. 

That said, when you do start them you expect significant progress during the season. Cush made some progress but was still repeating mistakes he made game 1 in game 16.

I think he's a square peg in a round hole. Great kid but without the mobility and agility you need for an NFL center. Could be good at LG.

Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but you did say he'd be an upgrade. I'm not as big of an OL evaluator as you, but I do agree Meinerz looks like a stud-in-the-making just not sure Cush is worth giving up on yet. I am all for putting the best 5 on that OLine, that's MM's job. 

Cush has played C for a while, pretty dominant on Nat'l Championship team.  There's talent there, but may be best served as an asset.  

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man, I can't say I think Massie was the guy to take over Dennis Kelly.

I really hope Calvin Anderson is ready to make the leap.   Massie really didn't look good...at all.

Graded out 72 overall off and only allowed 3 sacks better then what James did.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Played 7 games, injured week 8, played versus the following teams:  Lions, Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Tampa, Rams .  Huge reason why Bears started 5-1, but was rightfully seen as a mirage (then lost vs. LAR week 7).   2 very good DL's, 4 very suspect ones & 1 mediocre one (Colts DL and lack of pass rush are why they went Rd1-2 there, even though they probably needed LT more).    Context always matters over simply citing PFF stats - and playing half a season, and the competition, changes the lens completely. 

When you compare that vs. Dennis Kelly, the comparison isn't really that close...at all.   Hope it's not just a case of familiarity/loyalty given he's a former Bear.   Money shouldn't be the factor at those prices.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but you did say he'd be an upgrade. I'm not as big of an OL evaluator as you, but I do agree Meinerz looks like a stud-in-the-making just not sure Cush is worth giving up on yet. I am all for putting the best 5 on that OLine, that's MM's job. 

Cush has played C for a while, pretty dominant on Nat'l Championship team.  There's talent there, but may be best served as an asset.  

That's pretty fair. I guess my feeling would be to not put all our eggs in the "Cush" basket. If I'm the FO I'm not really giving up on him, just not as pleased with his progress as I'd hoped. 

I really thought when they drafted him they saw him as an OG, probably LG. He's just really challenged laterally. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best from him but I think Meinerz will give him a real challenge.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Well, he'll certainly help our running game. He's kind of a nasty, roadgrader. Bit of an "old school" RT. I like the signing.

Solid enough in pass pro but you wouldn't want him on an island all day in a pass happy offense. I think our offensive philosophy is starting to take shape. Looks to me like Shurmers going to give whichever QB plays a very dangerous running attack. 

I’m more concerned with Massie’s health than his play. There’s going to be some leakage, some bad matchups, times where he needs help, but for the most part he’s a fairly serviceable right tackle and the difference between a serviceable RT and a bad one can be the difference between your offense functioning or not.

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, he'll certainly help our running game. He's kind of a nasty, roadgrader. Bit of an "old school" RT. I like the signing.

Solid enough in pass pro but you wouldn't want him on an island all day in a pass happy offense. I think our offensive philosophy is starting to take shape. Looks to me like Shurmers going to give whichever QB plays a very dangerous running attack. 

I think they'll lean on the run game a lot but I don't think it's going to be an old school run game, more of the college variety spread-and-smash. They'll use their receiving talent to spread the defense out and hammer those light boxes with two tough physical runners in Gordon and Williams. And when they do condense things a bit, that will be great for opening up one-on-one opportunities for Sutton and giving Jeudy a ton of space to create separation from DBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m more concerned with Massie’s health than his play. There’s going to be some leakage, some bad matchups, times where he needs help, but for the most part he’s a fairly serviceable right tackle and the difference between a serviceable RT and a bad one can be the difference between your offense functioning or not.

With the revolving doors we've had at RT, I'll gladly take a serviceable one.

• Like 1