Around the NFL - Off-season and Training Camp

Texas_OutLaw7

Just glad Jones didn't go to a NFC team....    I am getting more and more excited about our Offense going into next season.  Hoping really strongly that Collins, Smith, Martin are healthy. IF they are and we see the Dak preinjury of last year this offense will be as good as any offense in football. Also if our OL responds then expect a rebound season from Zeke as well, over 1400 yards..

2 list. Best NFL roster while fitting under the cap and best players 25 and younger. Cowboys have exactly 1 player - and thats including the honorable mentions. That sucks....

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-best-nfl-team-money-can-buy-building-the-ultimate-53-man-roster-under-the-20

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-25-under-25-2021-nfl-season

Worst: Quarterback Carson Wentz — Four years, $98.4 million ($35.4 million in active guarantees, $7 million remaining 2022 salary guarantee vests March 2022)

Wentz’s $33.8 million in 2021 dead money left behind with the Eagles arguably makes him the worst contract for them too, but we’ll stick with his current team for now. It’s not Wentz’s fault that the Eagles structured his extension the way they did, but nevertheless, the Indianapolis Colts still inherited quite a hefty deal in their own right.

No matter which metric you choose, Wentz was one of the league’s worst signal-callers in 2020. His 24 turnover-worthy plays and 50 sacks taken were both the most in the NFL, and he was benched for the final four games of the season. A change of scenery will hopefully get him back on track, but if it doesn’t, the Colts did the Eagles a huge favor here by absorbing the remaining years of this deal.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-worst-nfl-contracts-every-afc-team-stefon-diggs-carson-wentz-patrick-mahomes-2021

Wentz being the worst contract for two teams makes me giggle. 

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

2 list. Best NFL roster while fitting under the cap and best players 25 and younger. Cowboys have exactly 1 player - and thats including the honorable mentions. That sucks....

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-best-nfl-team-money-can-buy-building-the-ultimate-53-man-roster-under-the-20

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-25-under-25-2021-nfl-season

The Athletic did a pair of podcasts a few weeks ago along this same thread line- redrafting the league while factoring in contracts, QBs and then non-QBs. Dak was the 2nd (!) overall pick behind Mahomes in the QB draft, whereas we had precisely zero players  taken in the non-QB draft. How the turntables...

To make matters worse, two of the Top 5 picks in the non-QB draft? TJ Watt and Jalen Ramsey.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The Athletic did a pair of podcasts a few weeks ago along this same thread line- redrafting the league while factoring in contracts, QBs and then non-QBs. Dak was the 2nd (!) overall pick behind Mahomes in the QB draft, whereas we had precisely zero players  taken in the non-QB draft. How the turntables...

The only QB, when factoring in ages and other concerns, that is 100% clear cut above Dak is Mahomes. 

Rodgers and Brady are old. 

Wilson is older and discontent. Also has suffered dramatic downturns in play towards the end of the season the last few years which raises red flags. 

Allen has 1 great year and 2 below average ones.

Watson is discontent and most likely a serial sexual abuser. 

Lamar still has problems throwing the ball. 

You get the point. Dak's name should be thrown in there right with any of them - most of them havent clearly separated themselves as better. I mean, I guess Watson has, but he may not be in the NFL for much longer. I would understand people ranking Wilson ahead as well. 

To make matters worse, two of the Top 5 picks in the non-QB draft? TJ Watt and Jalen Ramsey.

Ouch. I dont know why we suck so bad at drafting defense. 

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

The only QB, when factoring in ages and other concerns, that is 100% clear cut above Dak is Mahomes. 

Rodgers and Brady are old. 

Wilson is older and discontent. Also has suffered dramatic downturns in play towards the end of the season the last few years which raises red flags. 

Allen has 1 great year and 2 below average ones.

Watson is discontent and most likely a serial sexual abuser. 

Lamar still has problems throwing the ball. 

You get the point. Dak's name should be thrown in there right with any of them - most of them havent clearly separated themselves as better. I mean, I guess Watson has, but he may not be in the NFL for much longer. I would understand people ranking Wilson ahead as well. 

Ouch. I dont know why we suck so bad at drafting defense. 

Watson and Dak are fairly similar players. Someone did a comparison before if I remember correctly and Watson's numbers were basically right inline with Dak's, or at least not far apart. But, y'know...Dak is likely to be in the league and not out of it for much longer than Watson at this point. 

I don't know that I'd say we're awful at drafting defense...I'd just say they did a bad job identifying players under the previous regime and developing them, and the DC's and probably to a point HC should be held culpable in that. It's still early to say how the the guys we took this year, but out of last year's class, Diggs seems to be a hit and Gallimore flashed some potential. Just have to hope he isn't another Hill. We'll see about Anae and Reggie Robinson. 

44 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Whats interesting to me is that according to this, over the last few years, Big Ben, Lamar, Brees and Wilson are the biggest benefactors of garbage time stats. 

They're in the top right though...so isn't that a good thing? Or, is being closer to the middle a bad thing? 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

They're in the top right though...so isn't that a good thing? Or, is being closer to the middle a bad thing? 

The higher up your name is, the more you benefit from garbage time. The further right, the more you are also good in not-garbage time. So their placement basically shows they are better than average through out the entire game, but extra stat-padding in garbage time. 

In comparison, someone like Mahomes doesnt do jackpoop in garbage time, but he murders it when the game is close. 

But yes, the top right quadrant is the most well rounded player. Those 4 just seem to rack up the most stats when the games are out of hand. 

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The higher up your name is, the more you benefit from garbage time. The further right, the more you are also good in not-garbage time. So their placement basically shows they are better than average through out the entire game, but extra stat-padding in garbage time. 

In comparison, someone like Mahomes doesnt do jackpoop in garbage time, but he murders it when the game is close. 

But yes, the top right quadrant is the most well rounded player. Those 4 just seem to rack up the most stats when the games are out of hand. 

So how would the QBs rank according to this chart?