2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

We dont have any glaring needs, so im going BPA. Add talent wherever we can. 

My pet peeve is when someone says “We should draft BPA for positions of need” as if the plan going into the draft is to draft the 3rd best player at a position of need.  Either it’s BPA or it’s need based and you take the best player at a position you need help at.  Mitch Renz and Grafik recently had videos on YouTube where they said we should go BPA at positions of need and it erked me.  
Especially when we are without a 1st and pick your basically drafting for depth or year 2 starters.  Aside from K, P, LS, and FB is there really a position group that doesn’t need added depth?

QB- we need a QB2 and it’d be nice to draft a developmental QB to become the QB2 next year.  It’s highly unlikely the player ever becomes a starter.

RB- Even with Jacobs, Drake, and Bolden for this year we could still use a 4th RB that becomes a starter or Heavily used RB2 next season.  Jacobs’ 5th year option has a deadline coming up, plus Drake and Bolden are FAs next year.

TE-  Hollister/Bowers are the TE3 and we could stand to replace them with someone better.  Moreau is a FA next year and could be too expensive to resign, thus creating a hole at TE2 in an offense that requires solid 2 TEs.  Waller is under contract for this season and next but will Almost certainly require an early extension given how underpaid he’s been compared to performance.

WR-  We have a need for a speedy WR, if edwards doesn’t become a stable starter this year we need a starting WR, and we’ll need to boost depth for this year and next, when depth pieces Robinson + Hollins are FA as is starting slot WR Renfrow.

OL-  we have no idea who the starting 5, there’s a bunch of OLmen who are FAs next year, and we certainly need depth.  Who knows where Leatherwood ends up, but we need a starter next to him where ever he doesn’t play (G or T).  

DL- we’ll need a future starting NT for next season, depth at 43DT or 34DE.  We really could use another solid contributor (starter or someone who plays moderate snaps) for this season.

OLB- this Might be the position we’re most set at with Crosby, Chandler Jones, Koonce, and Frackrell but even then i could easily see us drafting a 34OLB like Nick Bonitto or Sam Williams.  You can never have enough edge rushers and having having a position group that has a variety of different style players Is important.

ILB-  this year we have Perryman, Deablo, J.Brown, and Kiser but All but Deablo are FAs next year and even for this year we could certainly use an additional key contributor.

CB-  all 4 outside CBs (Mullen, Ya-Sin, Averett, Phillips) are FAs next year And we certainly stand to add another CB who will see a good amount of snaps this season, as  P.Graham likes to rotate CBs often.  In the slot we have Hobbs who is under contract for a few more years but we could lose him at any time to suspension or release, so there’s a need for depth at sCB.  We have 5 solid CBs but really need 6.  I really hope Robertson comes around but the likelihood of that happening based upon what we’ve seen so far isn’t great.

S- Abram is likely to be reduced to a sub-package role.  Who knows how that’ll workout.  Gillespie has promise but rarely played last season who who really knows.  Harmon is kinda old here on a 1 year deal while Teamer might not make team or could get suspended/released depending how his domestic “situation” plays out.  I really can’t tolerate Leavitt playing S and I really can’t tolerate paying him 2.433m when he can be upgraded from by signing one of a dozen UDFAs.

So… really every position group needs help to some degree.  So going BPA is the way to go.  Obviously, you just don’t give the prospects a rating like on NFL.com and purely draft the highest one.  We could end up with 5 players of the same position doing that, LOL.  But we should draft the BPA with positional value factored in.  Some Positions are more valuable then others.  If you can draft a future starter RT vs a backup S you take the RT.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

My pet peeve is when someone says “We should draft BPA for positions of need” as if the plan going into the draft is to draft the 3rd best player at a position of need.  Either it’s BPA or it’s need based and you take the best player at a position you need help at.  Mitch Renz and Grafik recently had videos on YouTube where they said we should go BPA at positions of need and it erked me.  
Especially when we are without a 1st and pick your basically drafting for depth or year 2 starters.  Aside from K, P, LS, and FB is there really a position group that doesn’t need added depth?

QB- we need a QB2 and it’d be nice to draft a developmental QB to become the QB2 next year.  It’s highly unlikely the player ever becomes a starter.

RB- Even with Jacobs, Drake, and Bolden for this year we could still use a 4th RB that becomes a starter or Heavily used RB2 next season.  Jacobs’ 5th year option has a deadline coming up, plus Drake and Bolden are FAs next year.

TE-  Hollister/Bowers are the TE3 and we could stand to replace them with someone better.  Moreau is a FA next year and could be too expensive to resign, thus creating a hole at TE2 in an offense that requires solid 2 TEs.  Waller is under contract for this season and next but will Almost certainly require an early extension given how underpaid he’s been compared to performance.

WR-  We have a need for a speedy WR, if edwards doesn’t become a stable starter this year we need a starting WR, and we’ll need to boost depth for this year and next, when depth pieces Robinson + Hollins are FA as is starting slot WR Renfrow.

OL-  we have no idea who the starting 5, there’s a bunch of OLmen who are FAs next year, and we certainly need depth.  Who knows where Leatherwood ends up, but we need a starter next to him where ever he doesn’t play (G or T).  

DL- we’ll need a future starting NT for next season, depth at 43DT or 34DE.  We really could use another solid contributor (starter or someone who plays moderate snaps) for this season.

OLB- this Might be the position we’re most set at with Crosby, Chandler Jones, Koonce, and Frackrell but even then i could easily see us drafting a 34OLB like Nick Bonitto or Sam Williams.  You can never have enough edge rushers and having having a position group that has a variety of different style players Is important.

ILB-  this year we have Perryman, Deablo, J.Brown, and Kiser but All but Deablo are FAs next year and even for this year we could certainly use an additional key contributor.

CB-  all 4 outside CBs (Mullen, Ya-Sin, Averett, Phillips) are FAs next year And we certainly stand to add another CB who will see a good amount of snaps this season, as  P.Graham likes to rotate CBs often.  In the slot we have Hobbs who is under contract for a few more years but we could lose him at any time to suspension or release, so there’s a need for depth at sCB.  We have 5 solid CBs but really need 6.  I really hope Robertson comes around but the likelihood of that happening based upon what we’ve seen so far isn’t great.

S- Abram is likely to be reduced to a sub-package role.  Who knows how that’ll workout.  Gillespie has promise but rarely played last season who who really knows.  Harmon is kinda old here on a 1 year deal while Teamer might not make team or could get suspended/released depending how his domestic “situation” plays out.  I really can’t tolerate Leavitt playing S and I really can’t tolerate paying him 2.433m when he can be upgraded from by signing one of a dozen UDFAs.

So… really every position group needs help to some degree.  So going BPA is the way to go.  Obviously, you just don’t give the prospects a rating like on NFL.com and purely draft the highest one.  We could end up with 5 players of the same position doing that, LOL.  But we should draft the BPA with positional value factored in.  Some Positions are more valuable then others.  If you can draft a future starter RT vs a backup S you take the RT.  

good post. I agree 100 percent, I hope we maneuver a few times and try to BPA across the board. Hopefully some steals or atleast guys who can provide depth and possibly improve over their rookie deals. I dont expect day 1 starters from this class unless we nab a stud OL in the 3rd 

Seeing a good bit of Waller trade talk. I LOVE him and want him to retire a Raider. BUT if it's something like a 1 or more I xouldnt be angry with the FO. Turning 30 nagging injuries last season. Especially at that position. I could understand the move. I wouldn't love it but I'd understand it.

Before the Adam's trade I wanted to trade Waller for Adams if that was the direction the FO wanted to go in.  If they do trade Waller it better be for at least a 1st.  If you told me it would take Waller and a 1st to get Adams I would want nothing to do with the trade.  Waller and a 2nd I would not be happy about but the FO is trying to make Carr happy.  Waller does not have the same impact as Adams but Adams not wanting to ever play for GB again would have made it a fair 1 for 1 swap.  At their ages and how much they will get paid I would not want to give up a first for either but I value draft picks higher than most around here.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Matt Miller mock

86. Joshua Williams -CB- Small school guy with the traits and size you look for in a development player to coach up 

126. Matthew Butler -DT-

164. Aaron Hansford-LB-

165. Andrew Stueber -OT-

I like Butler in 4 a lot and Stueber in 5 is a solid pick, but Joshua Williams in the 3rd is an absolute horrible pick.  Besides the he’s really a 7th rounder at best the guy looks like Beetle Juice from the Stern show and it actually really bothers me.

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Before the Adam's trade I wanted to trade Waller for Adams if that was the direction the FO wanted to go in.  If they do trade Waller it better be for at least a 1st.  If you told me it would take Waller and a 1st to get Adams I would want nothing to do with the trade.  Waller and a 2nd I would not be happy about but the FO is trying to make Carr happy.  Waller does not have the same impact as Adams but Adams not wanting to ever play for GB again would have made it a fair 1 for 1 swap.  At their ages and how much they will get paid I would not want to give up a first for either but I value draft picks higher than most around here.

I think they wanted a player for player. Then got reminded of the unsigned tender clause. Also I think k most don't value draft picks due to hoe we have used draft picks the last 2 decades.

16 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I would say right tackle is still a glaring need, but a third rounder is not likely to yield a starter.

i think the plan is for Leatherwood, Parker and even Eluemenor to duke it out. And like you said, i dont think a 3rd rounder will come in and be better than all 3 in year one. Go BPA and add talent to the roster wherever we can. 

15 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

i think the starters for 2022 are already on the roster for the most part, i can see us landing some FA's post June 1. With our picks this week, i hope were looking for quality players regardless of position who can be quality depth year 1 and have the potential to be impact players moving forward.