2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

If Jim Harbaugh is hired I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Malik Willis in the 2nd round. When Harbaugh was hired by the 49ers they already had a solid starter in Alex Smith but traded up in the 2nd to take Kapernick. 

Willis and Kapernick share a ton of similarities as prospects. Kapernick had all of the physical tools you'd want in a QB but played at a smaller school, had accuracy issues, and played in a very unorthodox offense at Nevada. Willis has all of the physical tools, has accuracy issues, played at a smaller school, and hasn't played in a pro style offense. 

58 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If Jim Harbaugh is hired I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Malik Willis in the 2nd round. When Harbaugh was hired by the 49ers they already had a solid starter in Alex Smith but traded up in the 2nd to take Kapernick. 

Willis and Kapernick share a ton of similarities as prospects. Kapernick had all of the physical tools you'd want in a QB but played at a smaller school, had accuracy issues, and played in a very unorthodox offense at Nevada. Willis has all of the physical tools, has accuracy issues, played at a smaller school, and hasn't played in a pro style offense. 

Or we trade Carr and sign Kaepernick as bridge QB 🤪

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Or we trade Carr and sign Kaepernick as bridge QB 🤪

That's not happening. But even with Smith in place from the previous regime, Harbaugh traded up to get a toolsy guy that could develop behind him. If Harbaugh is hired, Carr should and likely will be the starting QB next year. But a guy like Willis has so much upside, he just needs a year or two to develop.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's not happening. But even with Smith in place from the previous regime, Harbaugh traded up to get a toolsy guy that could develop behind him. If Harbaugh is hired, Carr should and likely will be the starting QB next year. But a guy like Willis has so much upside, he just needs a year or two to develop.

It was more a Joke.

I just liked the highlight reels from Kaep and the offense from the Harbaugh era in SF.

1 minute ago, Styrian Raider said:

It was more a Joke.

I just liked the highlight reels from Kaep and the offense from the Harbaugh era in SF.

I'd be cool with taking a flier on Willis with Harbaugh, dude has so much upside he just needs a year or two to clean some things up.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Willis will be drafted in round 1 easily. Highest upside in the class. Dual threat, huge arm, plays off schedule, elite mobility and going to be a terrific interview. His stock will go way up post senior bowl. He's in that trendy new breed of QB teams covet. 

Kapernick went in round 2 because of his throwing motion and delivery. And the trend towards athletic, mobile QBs has increased since he was drafted. 

Willis need to sit a year, I agree. But he's still going in round 1.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Willis will be drafted in round 1 easily. Highest upside in the class. Dual threat, huge arm, plays off schedule, elite mobility and going to be a terrific interview. His stock will go way up post senior bowl. He's in that trendy new breed of QB teams covet. 

Kapernick went in round 2 because of his throwing motion and delivery. And the trend towards athletic, mobile QBs has increased since he was drafted. 

Willis need to sit a year, I agree. But he's still going in round 1.

I'm not sure if he'll go in the 1st round. The Giants, Broncos, Falcons, WFT, Saints, Steelers, Lions and Panthers are the only teams that could select a QB in the first round, imo. But the Giants have said that Jones will be back and I don't think the Lions go QB in the 1st with Goff still under contract unless they love a prospect. I think teams like the Saints, Steelers, Broncos, and possibly the Panthers will be in the market for a veteran QB. And this off-season could be one of the craziest we've ever seen in terms of QB's being moved. Rodgers, Wilson, Garapolo, Watson, Tua, and Mayfield could all be traded. 

Willis flashed this year but he's a project and put out a bunch of bad film, he has a long way to go. And for the most part it seems as though Kenny Pickett, Matt Coral, Sam Howell have all passed him on most peoples boards. And he's in a group with Carson Strong and Desmond Ridder for QB tier 2, so it will come down to team preference. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not sure if he'll go in the 1st round. The Giants, Broncos, Falcons, WFT, Saints, Steelers, Lions and Panthers are the only teams that could select a QB in the first round, imo. But the Giants have said that Jones will be back and I don't think the Lions go QB in the 1st with Goff still under contract unless they love a prospect. I think teams like the Saints, Steelers, Broncos, and possibly the Panthers will be in the market for a veteran QB. And this off-season could be one of the craziest we've ever seen in terms of QB's being moved. Rodgers, Wilson, Garapolo, Watson, Tua, and Mayfield could all be traded. 

Willis flashed this year but he's a project and put out a bunch of bad film, he has a long way to go. And for the most part it seems as though Kenny Pickett, Matt Coral, Sam Howell have all passed him on most peoples boards. And he's in a group with Carson Strong and Desmond Ridder for QB tier 2, so it will come down to team preference. 

Willis will go in the top 15 picks. He can make throws not many QBs can. Has elite speed and elusiveness. 

A team in the top 15 will take a shot they can correct his flaws for his arm and speed talent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Willis will go in the top 15 picks. He can make throws not many QBs can. Has elite speed and elusiveness. 

A team in the top 15 will take a shot they can correct his flaws for his arm and speed talent. 

Essentially everyone has Kenny Pickett, Matt Coral, and Sam Howell ranked higher then him. I don't see 4 QB's going in the top 15. And to be a team that selects him that highly you're going to need a coaching staff that has job security because he's not going to be able to play next year. 

When you look around the NFL how many players that are in a similar mold as Willis are good starting quarterbacks? Jalen Hurts? Lamar Jackson? I don't think he's nearly as dynamic as Lamar was coming out and he was a late first round pick while Hurts fell to the 2nd round.

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Essentially everyone has Kenny Pickett, Matt Coral, and Sam Howell ranked higher then him. I don't see 4 QB's going in the top 15. And to be a team that selects him that highly you're going to need a coaching staff that has job security because he's not going to be able to play next year. 

When you look around the NFL how many players that are in a similar mold as Willis are good starting quarterbacks? Jalen Hurts? Lamar Jackson? I don't think he's nearly as dynamic as Lamar was coming out and he was a late first round pick while Hurts fell to the 2nd round.

Comparing one class to another is meaningless. This class does not have a surefire top QB. Willis has the best traits and upside. Can very easily move higher than guys who have a limited ceiling with a good offseason. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

This will be an interesting year because every team values QB’s differently and there really is no consensus #1 (or #2 or 3 for that matter).

The lack of consensus reminds me of the 2013 and 2017 QB draft classes. 2013 ended up being an abortion but 2017 produced two top-5 QB’s in Watson and Mahomes. 

Will be entertaining to see how this one turns out. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Comparing one class to another is meaningless. This class does not have a surefire top QB. Willis has the best traits and upside. Can very easily move higher than guys who have a limited ceiling with a good offseason. 

Kenny Pickett and Matt Coral seem to have separated themselves from the rest of the bunch. I think comparing prospects to other guys that fit a similar mold is definitely a solid way to gauge how successful they'll be in the NFL. Willis has the physical tools but he is a project and will need a ton of time before he's ready to start. 

The last month of the college season he put out some terrible film. Terrible accuracy numbers and a ton of turnovers. 

I'm not sure how much Willis will be able to improve his stock during the pre-draft process. Everyone already knows that he's fast and has a rocket arm. He just hasn't ever played in an NFL style offense, been very accurate, and makes a ton of bad decisions with the ball.