2022 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If they think a slot CB is worth #12, I’m not totally against it (since nickel packages are a huge part of the game), but I think we could land a slot in the 2nd and draft a less questionable prospect in the first round. But I’m also just an aging chubby dude with freakishly long arms pounding away on my cell phone keyboard 😂😂

If teams are taking McDuffie in round 1 they don't see him as only an inside CB even with how valuable CBs are I don't see the Vikings taking him round 1 if they didn't think he could play outside CB.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

4-5 top of the draft talents?  Only Bryce Young and CJ Stroud would be top of the draft guys like top 4 pick type guys.  

DJ Uiagalelei unless he has a great year is more mid 1st round or late 1st round talent, he processes slow and his release is pretty slow.  Sure that could change and he could go high but right now not sure he would after an pretty up and down year.  Brennan Armstrong I have mid to late 1st round, and same with Spencer Rattler assuming he has a good year even.  Then Phil Jurkovec and Bo Nix early 2nd round as of now.

But yeah compared to this years class, 2023 is much better.  

For every draft we have, we always seem to get "next years class of QBs will be better". Guys like DJ, Rattler and Armstrong probably won't even come close to the first round, and some random QB will fly up the draft boards.

The only QBs I like in this draft are Pickett and Ridder. I think they both should go in the first round. Willis will go too but I'm not a big fan of his.

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

If they think a slot CB is worth #12, I’m not totally against it (since nickel packages are a huge part of the game), but I think we could land a slot in the 2nd and draft a less questionable prospect in the first round. But I’m also just an aging chubby dude with freakishly long arms pounding away on my cell phone keyboard 😂😂

so two thoughts.

1. no way you take a slot only at 12.

2. McDuffie hardly played the slot in college. In 2021, he played 12 snaps in the slot. In 2020, it was only 6 snaps. If you think he's a slot only, it's a pure projection move based on his traits because he has no experience there to back it up.

Then it circles back to #1, you don't take a slot only at 12.

If you think he can play boundary and be successful and worthy of the 12th pick, then you are betting on an outlier due to his extremely short length. He also has pretty mediocre ball production in college (INTs + PDs). Is that a product of the short arms? 

Edited by battle2heaven

The closer we get to the draft the more I’m expecting a trade down. The Vikings are in a prime spot at 12 for someone looking at the last of the top tier OTs, the last top tier edge rusher, the first choice of wide receiver, and of course the QB market. 

• Like 1

Kiper 3 round mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33761722/three-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-predict-top-105-picks-alternating-all-32-teams

12 - Stingley

44 - TE Trey McBride (interesting)

77 - DeMarvin Leal DL (probably 3-4 base end)

Thoughts on this? This is interesting! I figured Vikings would nab a TE in this draft; but I think more an inline guy later on. 

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The closer we get to the draft the more I’m expecting a trade down. The Vikings are in a prime spot at 12 for someone looking at the last of the top tier OTs, the last top tier edge rusher, the first choice of wide receiver, and of course the QB market. 

My gut feeling as well if Sauce, Hamilton, and Stingley are all gone and no other "stud" has fallen.

In doing the mock drafts I hate not having a 4th. I'd like to trade down with at least one of our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders depending on the board of course.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Fine by me, unless one of Stingley/Gardner/Hamilton are available. The value in this draft is going to be in the middle rounds. There's going to be a chance to add a lot of solid contributors in rounds 2-4. If the Vikings could move back 10 spots or so and pick up a couple picks in the round 2-4 range, I think it would be ideal. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Kiper 3 round mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33761722/three-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-predict-top-105-picks-alternating-all-32-teams

12 - Stingley

Thoughts on this? This is interesting! I figured Vikings would nab a TE in this draft; but I think more an inline guy later on. 

Pretty much my thoughts on Kiper and McShay every year. They don’t do their research on what teams have already done in the offseason, or what teams do/will do schematically on offense or defense. 

The Stingley pick is low hanging fruit at this point. But the McBride pick just doesn’t make sense for a team that’s expected (per the new HC) to be running a lot more 11 personnel. 

Stingley is fine in the 1st, but Logan Hall, Nick Bonitto, or even George Pickens make a lot more sense for that spot. 

• Like 1

I’m fairly confident in the top 7 players/positions off the board. Not so confident in which order they go. 

1. Hutchinson 
2. Walker
3. Ekwonu
4. Gardner
5. Neal
6. Quarterback
7. Thibodeaux 

8 and 9 is where I get hung up because this is where I’m expecting a “surprise” pick.

5 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Kiper 3 round mock

12 - Stingley

Great draft. Stingley is a no-brainer and will be the most talented CB we’ve had in a long time. I like Trey McBride as well, as a pass-catching TE and as a blocker. I get that coach KO likes to run a lot of 11 personnel, but Irv Smith isn’t going to play every single snap. Especially after coming off of a knee injury. I’d much rather run an 11 personnel set with McBride than Ellefson or whoever else we have besides Irv. Also, I like Leal in the 3rd and think he’ll eventually be a starter in the league. He’s made to play in a 3-4. 

Edited by Purplepride323