Raiders 2021 Schedule

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Well the only thing we can go off of last year. We cant go off of two years ago when Lamar Jackson won MVP running an offense that no one knew how to stop at the time. We have to go off of last year we're now the rest of the league has settled in and figured out how to stop their offense. Here's what we see..

The Raiders were 8th and total yards per game; ravens were 19th

The Raiders were 6th in passing yards per game; ravens were 32nd(last)

The Raiders were 14th in rushing yards per game; ravens were 1st(which happens when your quarterback runs for 1000 yards) 

The Raiders were 10th in points per game; the ravens were 7th(the difference was 2.2 points)

This may be surprising because no one talks about how good your offense is or features you on ESPN when you go 8-8

Listen nobody is doubting that the Raiders offense was very effective last year and it was their best offensive season in quite some time. However the efficiency of the 2 offenses wasn't really comparable. You say the Ravens were dead last in passing and that is true from a yards perspective, however look at the number at the passing numbers between Carr and Lamar. Passer rating was extremely close and Td/Int ratio is almost identical and that being with much fewer yards thrown by Lamar. Also lets keep in mind that the Raiders spent most games chasing points and throwing out of necessity where the Ravens essentially are playing from ahead the majority of the time. 

Raven fans also tend to complain about flags if it was a close game. They did it for both Raider games they lost in 2015 and 2016. Only time I ever see them admit true defeat is if they get completely dominated like the Titans/Ravens divisional game a couple years back. 

While I don‘t think we win this game, I’m glad we play them Week 1 instead of any other week. It gives Bradley months to prepare for Lamar Jackson and that super versatile offense. He’s going to need to be extremely creative and he has the time to think of some things. 

9 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Listen nobody is doubting that the Raiders offense was very effective last year and it was their best offensive season in quite some time. However the efficiency of the 2 offenses wasn't really comparable. You say the Ravens were dead last in passing and that is true from a yards perspective, however look at the number at the passing numbers between Carr and Lamar. Passer rating was extremely close and Td/Int ratio is almost identical and that being with much fewer yards thrown by Lamar. Also lets keep in mind that the Raiders spent most games chasing points and throwing out of necessity where the Ravens essentially are playing from ahead the majority of the time. 

Something to think about: Derek Carr threw the ball almost 150 times more than Lamar Jackson. If you go look at some back up quarterbacks you'll find that they actually had very good passer ratings and a relief role. Because generally your pass rating is better when you throw the ball less(to the why if you look up who has the higher pass rating in the NFL you'll find wide receivers and back up quarterbacks threw the ball less than starters). Real feat is that Derek Carr threw the ball almost times more somehow also had a higher passer rating and completion percentage.

The same thing also goes for touchdown interception ratio. The real feat is that Derek Carr who threw the ball almost 150 times(which means he had almost 150 times more opportunities to throw an interception) more had the same amount of interceptions. Do you have to look at why Lamar Jackson who threw the ball almost 150 times less somehow still have the same amount of interceptions. Think about that. 

Edited by Jeremy408

9 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Lamar is not accurate.  Especially not deep.  I've watched some Ravens games.  Hollywood isn't that great.  Just small and fast so he makes a play here and there.  Ravens win running the ball and defense.  The passing game has always lacked with Lamar at QB.  Still don't think the Raiders win this one though.

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

With all that said, I’ve been on this forum 16 years now, and I love to go into other subforums and wish them luck before games. In my experience, no one talks more trash about their opponents, and also overhype their team, than Raven fans on FF. And it’s not close, never has been close. And I remember them all losing their mind when we won in both 2015 and 2016 and coming up with every excuse in the book afterwards. It would be great to get a win to silence them again. 

Crabtree always had his way with them.

the 2016 game was a complete treat. it was also the best single game punting performance I can remember for a Raiders punter, and that's really saying something.  8 punts, 52 yard average, 4 of them downed inside the 20, 2 inside the 10. and the ray lewis dance to top it off

"King had 8 punts in the game, averaging 51.8 yards per punt with a net of 46.5. Half of his punts were stopped inside the 20-yard-line and half of those were inside the 10 (8, 5).

All of his four punts that weren’t downed inside the 20 traveled over 50 yards in the air, with one traveling 62 yards. Only one Ravens drive following a punt began outside of the 30-yard-line. It was a 20-yard return off a 53-yard King punt."

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/10/3/13152806/raiders-marquette-king-gets-pff-s-highest-punter-grade-ever

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Crabtree always had his way with them.

the 2016 game was a complete treat. it was also the best single game punting performance I can remember for a Raiders punter, and that's really saying something.  8 punts, 52 yard average, 4 of them downed inside the 20, 2 inside the 10. and the ray lewis dance to top it off

"King had 8 punts in the game, averaging 51.8 yards per punt with a net of 46.5. Half of his punts were stopped inside the 20-yard-line and half of those were inside the 10 (8, 5).

All of his four punts that weren’t downed inside the 20 traveled over 50 yards in the air, with one traveling 62 yards. Only one Ravens drive following a punt began outside of the 30-yard-line. It was a 20-yard return off a 53-yard King punt."

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/10/3/13152806/raiders-marquette-king-gets-pff-s-highest-punter-grade-ever

Both the 2015 and 2016 games were super fun to watch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Lamar is not accurate.  Especially not deep.  I've watched some Ravens games.  Hollywood isn't that great.  Just small and fast so he makes a play here and there.  Ravens win running the ball and defense.  The passing game has always lacked with Lamar at QB.  Still don't think the Raiders win this one though.

Yes they win running the ball  because that is what they're offense is designed to do. They aren't built to chuck the rock all over the place, Lamar plays within the scope of the offense and has been pretty darn efficient at over his young career. Sure he has some things to clean up throwing outside the numbers but lets not act like he cannot throw the ball. He has thrown 62 touchdowns to 15 interceptions over the last 2 seasons and has been one of the most efficient quarterbacks inside of the red zone over that time. I'm also expecting a much better Lamar this season because he now has weapons on the outside with reliable hands and the ability to separate. We will see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

if the question is "who is a better pure passer, Carr or Lamar" there's an obvious answer. but that's also a really weird way to evaluate Lamar considering what he brings to the table. its like asking if Brandon Jacobs is a better power runner than Barry Sanders

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

if the question is "who is a better pure passer, Carr or Lamar" there's an obvious answer. but that's also a really weird way to evaluate Lamar considering what he brings to the table. its like asking if Brandon Jacobs is a better power runner than Barry Sanders

Yes the QB position has a lot of different variables these days. 

with that said, Jackson's 36 TD passes in 2019 was a statistical outlier that most said was due for regression. was certainly the case in 2020 when he threw for 10 less TD's despite having more passing attempts.

but Jackson's completion% around 65% with around 7.5 ypa is better than what Carr was doing in the pre-Gruden era, so the efficiency is certainly there.

and he hasn't really had consistent outside weapons, whereas Carr was given Amari in year 2. Hollywood Brown is a burner but not remotely a #1 type. Andrews is a very good but not elite TE. Bateman is a good add, but i wonder how big an impact a rookie will have, particularly in week 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I speak for other raider fans but  for me there's a few reasons why I am personally I'm not concerned:

1. it's not the first time cable has had a pro bowl center that's converted from another position(he's had two before one of them was an All-Pro)

2. The absolute worst case scenario is Andre James is trash and (Nick Martin who has been a starter in the NFL every year until now) plays. so while he's not all pro he is the absolute floor of the center position which is not a bad floor

Cable also had a ton of control over the OL up in Seattle and they've had one of the worst lines in the league. James has only started 1 game and played poorly in that start, IIRC he has the lowest recorded passing blocking grade in PFF history.